JessN: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Steve Spurrier beat clemson's hurry up offense 5 years in a row by slowing down his offense and eating up clock to limit clemson possessions. During that 5-game span USC rarely hiked the ball until there were single digits on the play clock. It was quite effective as clemson averaged a paltry 60 plays a game during that stretch. I was very disappointed to not see Bama use this same strategy Monday. If they just run ball and milk play clock down to 5 seconds in 4th they win. You slow DW down by keeping him on the bench.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Steve Spurrier beat clemson's hurry up offense 5 years in a row by slowing down his offense and eating up clock to limit clemson possessions. During that 5-game span USC rarely hiked the ball until there were single digits on the play clock. It was quite effective as clemson averaged a paltry 60 plays a game during that stretch. I was very disappointed to not see Bama use this same strategy Monday. If they just run ball and milk play clock down to 5 seconds in 4th they win. You slow DW down by keeping him on the bench.
That's probably my greatest disappointment of this game. I thought surely we would do this, and that is why I felt so strongly we would win by double digits. Oh well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well said.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree but you still have to make first downs. Bleeding the clock to win goes hand in hand with moving the chains. We didn't move the chains enough that simply taking a few more seconds off of the play clock would have changed the outcome. At least I don't think so.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.