Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Article Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs
    by Jess Nicholas
    TideFans Editor-In-Chief
    January 10th, 2017 03:11 AM

Alabama’s bid to win a second straight national championship fell short thanks to a combination of injuries, a lack of depth on its defensive line that finally came to a head and the struggles of a true freshman quarterback who seemed to run out of gas a […]

Read More Here
    Last edited by BamaNation; January 10th, 2017 at 10:44 AM.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American OreBama's Avatar

Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

If you can't beat 'em, cheat 'em. Clemson did that tonight on two obvious pick plays. I don't blame Clemson one bit, though. That's smart on their part. I blame the officials on those two plays. Still, Clemson is a worthy champion. We'll be back soon.
    Pronounced as or-e-bama not Obama.

Or Chris, if you prefer. :)

BamaNation Second Team

Great analysis. I'm still so upset that I can't sleep. Bo getting hurt was a major factor. Our d got tired being on the field so long since our offense couldn't sustain drives. But those two pick plays won the game. We should have at least gone into overtime if not for that. Just a heart breaker.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Great job, as usual. I would add that Clemson played this game to win offensively while Alabama was clearly playing not to lose. It was clear that Jalen was told once again that if he could play another clean game with no turnovers that Alabama would win. Didn't work out that way. If Jalen is to improve, he has to be allowed to make mistakes. If Alabama is to win a championship with him at QB, he has to believe in his ability to work the entire field. He won't trust himself until the coaches do.

BamaNation All-American

Pick plays or not, Bama got beat. We couldn't complete the passes that we needed to sustain drives so our D ended up getting tired in the 4th qtr. We couldn't stop Watson from completing 1st down passes. Bama played hard and lost. Good game that didn't end to my liking but I'm proud of the undefeated regular season.
    ROLL TIDE.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

BamaNation All-SEC

I have a question about "pick plays". In basketball, a pick play is quite obvious, and legal. An offensive player stands still while the guy with the ball runs right past him, which usually results in the defender running smack into the player standing still. OK, that is a pick play in basketball.

In football it's different, but it still involves an offensive player and a defensive player running into each other does it not? If two receivers criss-cross down field in such a way that a defender of one receiver is forced to run into, or change his path to avoid running into, the other receiver then that is a pick play. I may be mistaken, but I don't believe it is a pick play if you get two defenders to run into each other. Isn't that just good offensive football? Get the defenders to take themselves out of the play. What am I missing here?

BamaNation First Team marcusroby's Avatar

In this instance the offensive player made contact ala screening in basketball. Literally it was a block downfield.

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bama 13-0 View Post
    I have a question about "pick plays". In basketball, a pick play is quite obvious, and legal. An offensive player stands still while the guy with the ball runs right past him, which usually results in the defender running smack into the player standing still. OK, that is a pick play in basketball.

In football it's different, but it still involves an offensive player and a defensive player running into each other does it not? If two receivers criss-cross down field in such a way that a defender of one receiver is forced to run into, or change his path to avoid running into, the other receiver then that is a pick play. I may be mistaken, but I don't believe it is a pick play if you get two defenders to run into each other. Isn't that just good offensive football? Get the defenders to take themselves out of the play. What am I missing here?
    The difference is the offensive player is actively trying to impede the defender, not just run his route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation Second Team

The critical aspect of these is WHO initiated the contact? The bigger onus is on the offensive player to avoid the contact since he knows the route he is running. They are not black and white and I bet you don't get full agreement on both calls last night. IMO with the benefit of the doubt I have a foul on the first one and no call on the second one. The reason on the second one is it appears the defender initiated the contact.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

The blue print was laid by LSU and from that point on our passing game and Jalen Hurts began to struggle mightily. He's an 18 year old true freshman and there's no way anyone should have expected this kid to go out there and read defenses on this level at his age. To be honest, we played on house money this year and have defied the odds over the last several years with winning as much as we have with a revolving door each year at the QB position. Well, the revolving door is over with for at least two more years. The unfortunate part is it cost us a NC on the front in, but I'm confident by doing so we may pick up another two before Hurts leaves.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; January 11th, 2017 at 09:36 AM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

News|BB|FB|Rec Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The critical aspect of these is WHO initiated the contact? The bigger onus is on the offensive player to avoid the contact since he knows the route he is running. They are not black and white and I bet you don't get full agreement on both calls last night. IMO with the benefit of the doubt I have a foul on the first one and no call on the second one. The reason on the second one is it appears the defender initiated the contact.
    the ball was in the air and the WR put his helmet in our DBs midsection to block, after driving him in the endzone. Pass Interference.

Jess, thoughts on our running game last night? Averaged 6.5/carry. At least half of our RBs carries went for 4+.

In a game where Hurts averaged 4.2 yds per pass attempt and the RBs averaged 5.6 per carry, shouldn't the RBs have gotten more touches?

We had a 24-14 lead going into the fourth (albeit it was quickly 24-21), and only ran the ball 4 times. Really hard to sustain drives and eat clock when you only run it on 4 of your 16 offensive plays in the final quarter.

We only had 3 first downs in the second half and all were from runs by RBs. Yet, we only gave them 8 carries the entire second half.

RTR

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Great job, as usual. I would add that Clemson played this game to win offensively while Alabama was clearly playing not to lose. It was clear that Jalen was told once again that if he could play another clean game with no turnovers that Alabama would win. Didn't work out that way. If Jalen is to improve, he has to be allowed to make mistakes. If Alabama is to win a championship with him at QB, he has to believe in his ability to work the entire field. He won't trust himself until the coaches do.
    Agreed. He did make one strong throw over the middle on 3rd down, which Dieter dropped. I disagree on the picks taking the shine off Clemsons win, no one will remember them except some Bama fans. Clemson is the better team, congrats to them.