JessN: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 45
  1. #1
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    5,258

    Article Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs
    by Jess Nicholas
    TideFans Editor-In-Chief
    January 10th, 2017 03:11 AM

    Alabama’s bid to win a second straight national championship fell short thanks to a combination of injuries, a lack of depth on its defensive line that finally came to a head and the struggles of a true freshman quarterback who seemed to run out of gas a […]

    Read More Here
    Last edited by BamaNation; January 10th, 2017 at 10:44 AM.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation All-American OreBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,208

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    If you can't beat 'em, cheat 'em. Clemson did that tonight on two obvious pick plays. I don't blame Clemson one bit, though. That's smart on their part. I blame the officials on those two plays. Still, Clemson is a worthy champion. We'll be back soon.
    Pronounced as or-e-bama not Obama.

    Or Chris, if you prefer. :)

  4. #3
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    129

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    Great analysis. I'm still so upset that I can't sleep. Bo getting hurt was a major factor. Our d got tired being on the field so long since our offense couldn't sustain drives. But those two pick plays won the game. We should have at least gone into overtime if not for that. Just a heart breaker.

  5. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11,151

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    Great job, as usual. I would add that Clemson played this game to win offensively while Alabama was clearly playing not to lose. It was clear that Jalen was told once again that if he could play another clean game with no turnovers that Alabama would win. Didn't work out that way. If Jalen is to improve, he has to be allowed to make mistakes. If Alabama is to win a championship with him at QB, he has to believe in his ability to work the entire field. He won't trust himself until the coaches do.

  6. #5
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,453

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    Pick plays or not, Bama got beat. We couldn't complete the passes that we needed to sustain drives so our D ended up getting tired in the 4th qtr. We couldn't stop Watson from completing 1st down passes. Bama played hard and lost. Good game that didn't end to my liking but I'm proud of the undefeated regular season.
    ROLL TIDE.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

  7. #6
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Clinton, MS
    Posts
    1,282

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    I have a question about "pick plays". In basketball, a pick play is quite obvious, and legal. An offensive player stands still while the guy with the ball runs right past him, which usually results in the defender running smack into the player standing still. OK, that is a pick play in basketball.

    In football it's different, but it still involves an offensive player and a defensive player running into each other does it not? If two receivers criss-cross down field in such a way that a defender of one receiver is forced to run into, or change his path to avoid running into, the other receiver then that is a pick play. I may be mistaken, but I don't believe it is a pick play if you get two defenders to run into each other. Isn't that just good offensive football? Get the defenders to take themselves out of the play. What am I missing here?

  8. #7
    BamaNation First Team marcusroby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    auburn,al usa
    Posts
    395

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    In this instance the offensive player made contact ala screening in basketball. Literally it was a block downfield.

  9. #8
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    3,557

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama 13-0 View Post
    I have a question about "pick plays". In basketball, a pick play is quite obvious, and legal. An offensive player stands still while the guy with the ball runs right past him, which usually results in the defender running smack into the player standing still. OK, that is a pick play in basketball.

    In football it's different, but it still involves an offensive player and a defensive player running into each other does it not? If two receivers criss-cross down field in such a way that a defender of one receiver is forced to run into, or change his path to avoid running into, the other receiver then that is a pick play. I may be mistaken, but I don't believe it is a pick play if you get two defenders to run into each other. Isn't that just good offensive football? Get the defenders to take themselves out of the play. What am I missing here?
    The difference is the offensive player is actively trying to impede the defender, not just run his route.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

  10. #9
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    81

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    The critical aspect of these is WHO initiated the contact? The bigger onus is on the offensive player to avoid the contact since he knows the route he is running. They are not black and white and I bet you don't get full agreement on both calls last night. IMO with the benefit of the doubt I have a foul on the first one and no call on the second one. The reason on the second one is it appears the defender initiated the contact.

  11. #10
    FB Moderator Bamabuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Posts
    20,901

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    The blue print was laid by LSU and from that point on our passing game and Jalen Hurts began to struggle mightily. He's an 18 year old true freshman and there's no way anyone should have expected this kid to go out there and read defenses on this level at his age. To be honest, we played on house money this year and have defied the odds over the last several years with winning as much as we have with a revolving door each year at the QB position. Well, the revolving door is over with for at least two more years. The unfortunate part is it cost us a NC on the front in, but I'm confident by doing so we may pick up another two before Hurts leaves.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; January 11th, 2017 at 09:36 AM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

    "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

    "If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

  12. #11
    News|BB|FB|Rec Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    12,393

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The critical aspect of these is WHO initiated the contact? The bigger onus is on the offensive player to avoid the contact since he knows the route he is running. They are not black and white and I bet you don't get full agreement on both calls last night. IMO with the benefit of the doubt I have a foul on the first one and no call on the second one. The reason on the second one is it appears the defender initiated the contact.
    the ball was in the air and the WR put his helmet in our DBs midsection to block, after driving him in the endzone. Pass Interference.

  13. #12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame trenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Hendersonville, TN USA
    Posts
    5,400

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    Jess, thoughts on our running game last night? Averaged 6.5/carry. At least half of our RBs carries went for 4+.

    In a game where Hurts averaged 4.2 yds per pass attempt and the RBs averaged 5.6 per carry, shouldn't the RBs have gotten more touches?

    We had a 24-14 lead going into the fourth (albeit it was quickly 24-21), and only ran the ball 4 times. Really hard to sustain drives and eat clock when you only run it on 4 of your 16 offensive plays in the final quarter.

    We only had 3 first downs in the second half and all were from runs by RBs. Yet, we only gave them 8 carries the entire second half.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR


  14. #13
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,522

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Great job, as usual. I would add that Clemson played this game to win offensively while Alabama was clearly playing not to lose. It was clear that Jalen was told once again that if he could play another clean game with no turnovers that Alabama would win. Didn't work out that way. If Jalen is to improve, he has to be allowed to make mistakes. If Alabama is to win a championship with him at QB, he has to believe in his ability to work the entire field. He won't trust himself until the coaches do.
    Agreed. He did make one strong throw over the middle on 3rd down, which Dieter dropped. I disagree on the picks taking the shine off Clemsons win, no one will remember them except some Bama fans. Clemson is the better team, congrats to them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!