Defense Wins Championships, But Not this Time

BigOaf

Scout Team
Oct 1, 2005
Sanford, NC
I think JessN said they converted 31 third downs. If they convert only 29 then we win #17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
According to the team stats on ESPN, Clemson was 7 of 18 on third down conversions - they had 31 first downs, but not all of those came on third down.

We were 2 of 15 on third down conversions, and had 16 total first downs.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
They did not seriously even try to run. They used the short passing game to pick up first downs and keep our D on the field. Got more yds of this as the game went on and our d slowed down.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
They did not seriously even try to run. They used the short passing game to pick up first downs and keep our D on the field. Got more yds of this as the game went on and our d slowed down.
They used that WR screen play (short side of the field) to keep the chains moving. We tried that play all night long with not much success. They ran it better than we did in other words. That's one thing I never will understand about OC's, especially some that we've had. There are some plays we simply do not run worth a flip. One of those is the quick pass WR screen where there are three WR's bunched up to the short side of the field. Yes, there have been times it has worked for us. But for the most part that play is one that I cringe every time I see called. We simply aren't good at running that play. Clemson on the other hand runs it quite well and you can tell they're very comfortable and confident running it. It is a staple in their offense. Ours? We look very uncomfortable running it.

JF3

Scout Team
Jul 16, 2004
Phenix City, AL
We lost because we could not sustain drives, eat clock, and get at least 3 points. We have to fix our offense in the off-season, It is not consistent. We were up 14 - 0... We did nothing offensively in quarters 2 and 3. We have to fix the inconsistent offense. We did not help the defense by going 3 and out and putting them back on the field. We must fix our offense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We lost because we could not sustain drives, eat clock, and get at least 3 points. We have to fix our offense in the off-season, It is not consistent. We were up 14 - 0... We did nothing offensively in quarters 2 and 3. We have to fix the inconsistent offense. We did not help the defense by going 3 and out and putting them back on the field. We must fix our offense.
With the name JF3, I'm not sure if you're talking about Alabama or Auburn's offense.:D

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
^^^Those 2 box scores just make me more depressed. 1,061 yrds given up on defense. 62 1st downs. 825 yrds passing. 7 Passing TD's and only 1 INT. 37 total 4th quarter points allowed. Watson basically had the same game 2 years in a row. Just a complete Torching.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So....does everybody still think Kirby Smart mailed it in last year?
No, but I do think JP's attaching style had DW and Clemson on the ropes in the first half. If our offense possesses the ball more and we shorten down the plays they run...let's say instead of 44 plays in the first half they only run 30...it takes them alot longer to wear us down and figure us out in the second half. If they only run 60 plays in this game we win going away...in what would have probably turned into a blowout.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
So....does everybody still think Kirby Smart mailed it in last year?
I don't.....never did. I think we have a deficiency in DB coaching technique and in-game adjustments. We out Talent teams and play risk adverse pass defense. We get a lead and go into a turtle shell on both sides of the ball instead of turning the lights out. When we face a team with close to equal talent with a QB that can challenge that DB technique we have 'problems'. Heck A QB doesn't even have to be great....just have guts to attack us and decent accuracy. I mean Nick Marshall of all players LIT US UP for 450+ yards and 44 points. Everyone knows the secret. Throw jumpballs or back shoulder throws on the sideline because our guy won't know where in hades the ball is or get a WR lined up on LB for wide open yards in the middle of the field. It is what it is.....we get away with it sometimes and sometimes we don't.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I don't.....never did. I think we have a deficiency in DB coaching technique and in-game adjustments. We out Talent teams and play risk adverse pass defense. We get a lead and go into a turtle shell on both sides of the ball instead of turning the lights out. When we face a team with close to equal talent with a QB that can challenge that DB technique we have 'problems'. Heck A QB doesn't even have to be great....just have guts to attack us and decent accuracy. I mean Nick Marshall of all players LIT US UP for 450+ yards and 44 points. Everyone knows the secret. Throw jumpballs or back shoulder throws on the sideline because our guy won't know where in hades the ball is or get a WR lined up on LB for wide open yards in the middle of the field. It is what it is.....we get away with it sometimes and sometimes we don't.
What defense is consistently successful against that offense?

Also - who did that to us this year? Not Clemson. They won in every phase and not because they just chucked up on a prayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
IOW, you're saying an offense has to just throw the ball up and commit OPI and hope it doesn't get called.

Or pick on an inexperienced DB like Auburn did in 2014 with two great WRs.

Got it.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
As far as DB technique, Watson was putting some of the passes low and away where only his guy could get it. He was like Greg Maddox painting the corners of the plate. Back shoulder throws happen quite a bit in the pros and they can't stop it either and they are a lot better than our guys. Sometime you just get beat as a DB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Goodness, we will continue to hear about that for 10 more years now. We really needed to stop Watson just to shut up Gary.
Haha. Unfortunately it's too late now with DW. We beat Tebow in '09 to get the last laugh (and made him cry), but Cam and Deshawn got the last laugh against us.

We might not like Gary, but he's right on this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.