Defense Wins Championships, But Not this Time

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Haha. Unfortunately it's too late now with DW. We beat Tebow in '09 to get the last laugh (and made him cry), but Cam and Deshawn got the last laugh against us.

We might not like Gary, but he's right on this.
You split with Watson. The weird thing is that your better team took the loss.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As far as DB technique, Watson was putting some of the passes low and away where only his guy could get it. He was like Greg Maddox painting the corners of the plate. Back shoulder throws happen quite a bit in the pros and they can't stop it either and they are a lot better than our guys. Sometime you just get beat as a DB.
Also, when the refs allow the WR to constantly push off it's amazing how open they can be...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Also, when the refs allow the WR to constantly push off it's amazing how open they can be...
Even the Clemson fans around us at ESPN Club admitted that Clemson was pushing off. However, they said that it was gamesmanship.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
No, but I do think JP's attaching style had DW and Clemson on the ropes in the first half. If our offense possesses the ball more and we shorten down the plays they run...let's say instead of 44 plays in the first half they only run 30...it takes them alot longer to wear us down and figure us out in the second half. If they only run 60 plays in this game we win going away...in what would have probably turned into a blowout.
True ... this was a game to where we had to limit their offense and also outscore them to win. I know that sounds a bit Captain Obvious but what i'm trying to say is we could have shut out Washington but we pretty much knew there was a chance Clemson would score, AND if they got into a rhythm it would be t a challenge to stop them from scoring. If we would have gotten at least one more score in the first half, I think we would have beat them.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I beg to differ on that comment. Bet that tone would be different if it was our receivers doing the same to them.
Even the Clemson fans around us at ESPN Club admitted that Clemson was pushing off. However, they said that it was gamesmanship.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
True ... this was a game to where we had to limit their offense and also outscore them to win. I know that sounds a bit Captain Obvious but what i'm trying to say is we could have shut out Washington but we pretty much knew there was a chance Clemson would score, AND if they got into a rhythm it would be t a challenge to stop them from scoring. If we would have gotten at least one more score in the first half, I think we would have beat them.
Clemson fan at work admitted the same thing. It really was the two best teams going at it two years in a row unlike 2014.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I beg to differ on that comment. Bet that tone would be different if it was our receivers doing the same to them.
Clearly. But my point was that they agreed that Clemson receivers were pushing off. Essentially they were saying that Alabama should just do the same. Of course, no suggestion that Clemson stop cheating.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The difference in the game was that they had better and bigger wide receivers, and DeShaun Watson.
Those guys made plays, in critical situations, that we didn't, and maybe couldn't.
Add that to some really dumb offensive and defensive penalties and we deserved to get beat. It's really that simple.
I look forward to next season, but we got our butt kicked on Monday night. Yep, only by a second, but they deserved it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
As far as DB technique, Watson was putting some of the passes low and away where only his guy could get it. He was like Greg Maddox painting the corners of the plate. Back shoulder throws happen quite a bit in the pros and they can't stop it either and they are a lot better than our guys. Sometime you just get beat as a DB.
i think where it got tough is they were willing to throw the low passes and settle for 5-10 yards at a time without worrying about trying to get extra yardage. that is very hard to defend and allowed them to move the chains regularly and relatively quickly.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
You split with Watson. The weird thing is that your better team took the loss.
I don't necessarily think this team was better than last year's team. It had a vastly more opportunistic defense than last year. But overall I think last year's team was the more complete team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Clearly. But my point was that they agreed that Clemson receivers were pushing off. Essentially they were saying that Alabama should just do the same. Of course, no suggestion that Clemson stop cheating.
It would not have mattered if we did it as well, we weren't going to throw it to them.

Sure it's gamemanship, they got away with it. Why would you not do that in a winner take all game when it's obvious the ref is going to let you have it.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I don't necessarily think this team was better than last year's team. It had a vastly more opportunistic defense than last year. But overall I think last year's team was the more complete team.

Agree.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
If Coker had 1 more year of eligibility, we would be 15 and 0. But, I'm excited to see what Hurts can be. As noted above, his regression could be overcoaching about mistakes, and that may very well fall to the HC himself. We'll never know. Great run for this team, better than everybody else except Clemson.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
the offense, and not really a fact, was the major problem losing this game, except I really believe there were two pick plays that gave Clemson 2 tds. I also wonder why teams with 2 seconds left don't just commit a penalty on the play which would run out the clock or at worst mean a field goal attempt. even way, watching the Washington game I knew the Clemson game would be tough. washingtons defense show basically how to beat a bama team. stack the line dare passing, and hold on. the only trouble was they didn't have as strong a defense or as good a offense. no defense can withstand the barrage of 99 plays and not get tired, and points scored. its amazing we led going into the 4th quarter. and that because of the defense, and two quick scores by bama. that's the point. in the past we have always had several drives of 7,8, 9 minutes with a balanced rush, and balanced passing game. we scored our tds on quick hitting scores, and once again turn the ball over to Clemson. our offense this year against good teams was one dimensional, and all season the coaches play that way protecting Jalen from making mistakes, and Jalen rarely, was exposed to the whole field. we had one of the best receiving corps in college football, and look at their numbers. they were used more as blockers. no deep threat, rarely medium threat. and when bo was injured, what did we do we went further into depending on the defense. we had a solid rusher in harris, and Jacobs, but the dye was cast it was Jalen or nothing. stewart was the best passer we had. we only run the cam Robinsons side of the field. now, we have a whole off season to coach Jalen up. I personally am not sure, he can do it. he is a low trajectory passer, and has very little touch on the ball, rarely puts air under the ball downfield. how many times ridley and stewart beat their defender and all was not close. a bullet pass deep. we may be grooming another freshman as well tua has quite a resume, and will compete big time. the defense would have won this game if they had any rest in the second half.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.