Congrats Clemson! But do you have staying power?

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I agree he's built the program for long term success in the ACC. All he has to do is beat FSU and he's got a shot at the title.
The notion that the ACC is Clemson, FSU and a bunch of nobodies is misguided. One could argue that the ACC was the best conference this year. Clearly, Clemson and FSU are the class of the ACC, but the rest of the conference has improved as well over the last few seasons. I think they proved that in the regular season and bowl season.

As for Clemson, I think they will take a step back after losing Watson, but they will contend for the ACC title next season and most likely the seasons beyond that. If you can win the ACC title, you're probably getting into the playoffs. Only the ACC and SEC champs have made all 3 playoffs.

CrimsonTider-n-SC

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 3, 2004
The ACC was better than the SEC this year, and do you really think Clemson wouldn't be the best team in the SECE the last few years (and in the foreseeable future)?

Face it, Dabo's built a strong program.
I really wasn't trying to discredit what Dabo has built. He has built a top tier program. Their recruiting along the DL has been exceptional the last few years. I would love to have Wilkens and Lawrence playing for us. Physically the team is built more like BAMA than most SEC schools.

My point with the ACC comment is that historically all he has to do is beat FSU and they are in a great position to go the playoffs. NCST, BC, WF and Syracuse aren't the type of teams that I think he will have problems in the near future. Those teams have little chance to compete with what he's established. I agree, the ACC was better than the SECE this year. With that said, I do think FSU will be the favorite to win the ACC next year because of the loss of Watson. Note: I don't believe Louisville will win the ACC because of Petrino.

CrimsonTider-n-SC

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 3, 2004
The notion that the ACC is Clemson, FSU and a bunch of nobodies is misguided. One could argue that the ACC was the best conference this year. Clearly, Clemson and FSU are the class of the ACC, but the rest of the conference has improved as well over the last few seasons. I think they proved that in the regular season and bowl season.

Agreed the ACC has improved greatly and I think on average they have better coaches than the SEC now. However, I do think that the Atlantic Division is the weaker of the two divisions. I'm not a fan of Louisville/Petrino. I've always found his teams to be soft. And as I mentioned elsewhere NCST, BC, WF and Syracuse aren't exactly powerhouses. So, I do believe the Atlantic division is Clemson and FSU. The Coastal division has much more balance.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think they remain on the national stage but there aren't many QB's that come along that can do what Watson did. Yes, they have good QB talent coming in, but good is one thing, Watson was something entirely different. All I can say is that they won't realize how good he was until he's gone.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Dabo has (and is) loading up on top DLs, top WRs, and top QBs. From a talent standpoint clemson has staying power. Their DL will be nasty next season, but the offense will lose a ton so I don't expect them back in CFP next year, but can't see them winning less than 10 games.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I am starting to wonder if we need to be congratulating Clemson or Auburn for winning the title. By the way two fan bases seem to be acting you would swear the Barn won the title last night.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Re: Congrats Clemson! (No need to qualify the congrats)

Congrats to CU for playing hard the whole game and not letting Bama's early lead stop them. The coaches did an excellent job in preparation and game calling.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
They will be here for long time, but Can they sustain the same consistency in reaching the playoff almost every year? no. Will they have 8 to 10 wins every season? yes.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't think they'll be quite like Texas without Vince Young, or Auburn without Cam Newton. FSU without Winston though? That sounds about right.

I am starting to wonder if we need to be congratulating Clemson or Auburn for winning the title. By the way two fan bases seem to be acting you would swear the Barn won the title last night.
Shh, it's cute that the thing there's only one tiger team playing college football. Don't ruin this for them.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
They are not going to fade away like two other kitty cats named schools, but I could see a hiccup in 2017, where they win 9-10 games but miss the CFP. Clemson is here for awhile, but I could see them in the same light as FSU, a really good team but misses the playoffs because of a misstep.

There is a reason why Bama is a 3:1 odds to win in 2017 and Clemson is 18:1.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Dabo is not a good coach. He is top 3 right now which makes him great. I think they will be back in the playoffs with in the next two years. Jimbo says next years team will be the best he has ever had. I also agree the ACC was the best conference in football this year. They proved it on field. I have always liked Dabo since his days at Alabama and last night did not change that.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
This depends on how you define staying power. I think Clemson will be able to consistently win 10-12 games every year. However though...how will they perform having a big red target on their backs??? How hungry will they be to replete??? Will they just play with the "We just have to show up and our opponent will roll over" mentality??? It will be interesting to see how Dabo handles all of this.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Dabo reminds me of Hugh Freeze- but with a much bigger budget. IPTAY makes a lot of things possible there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.