Saban is Right - Games are Decided by One or Two Plays

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
The more I think about the pic plays/rub plays the more I think it was our fault. Certainly we have some other defensive call that allows them to switch off of their man when they cross. I know it would be quick, but once they ran it and got away with it the first time, seems like we would have been ready for the second time.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The more I think about the pic plays/rub plays the more I think it was our fault. Certainly we have some other defensive call that allows them to switch off of their man when they cross. I know it would be quick, but once they ran it and got away with it the first time, seems like we would have been ready for the second time.
Agree entirely. Almost the only way to defend it is by playing a tight zone OR flat out interfere and live to play another down where they would not likely run the same play again.

Staying in man made it easy touchdowns for Clemson. Understandable on the first time...should have known better, says Richard Marx, on the second one.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Agree entirely. Almost the only way to defend it is by playing a tight zone OR flat out interfere and live to play another down where they would not likely run the same play again.

Staying in man made it easy touchdowns for Clemson. Understandable on the first time...should have known better, says Richard Marx, on the second one.
I just bet we won't make the same mistake next year.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Been meaning to post this...probably as good as place as ever...

I know a former Big 12 head referee who still works the clock at Big 12 games and sometimes for the Cowboys. He's legit. He's on top of the rules. He has no ax to grind against Bama or for Clemson.

He says the two pix plays that Clemson ran were NOT offensive pass interference. He said the first one was more "questionable" than the second. He said he would not have thrown the flag on either play.

Don't shoot the messenger.:smile:
No one is ever going to convince me that what happened to Hump on that play was DPI. Clemson scouted the officials and took advantage of Big 12 culture, and no official is going to criticize another. I'll hold on to that for the rest of my days as a Bama fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
No one is ever going to convince me that what happened to Hump on that play was DPI. Clemson scouted the officials and took advantage of Big 12 culture, and no official is going to criticize another. I'll hold on to that for the rest of my days as a Bama fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand your feelings...felt that way too initially...but I haven't seen anyone other than a Bama fan say the officials didn't get it right.

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/9/14221614/clemson-alabama-pick-play-pass-interference-rub

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Because Redding is going to admit the officials made the wrong call on the biggest play of the season, right?
He's not the only one. Every rules expert who weighed in on the issue said the same thing. If it was the other way around no one here would say it should've been OPI on those 2 plays. Just being realistic.

If Alabama had won the NC on the same play how many of you would be calling for OPI?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He's not the only one. Every rules expert who weighed in on the issue said the same thing. If it was the other way around no one here would say it should've been OPI on those 2 plays. Just being realistic.

If Alabama had won the NC on the same play how many of you would be calling for OPI?
But that doesn't mean it wouldn't have been OPI. We shouldn't be discussing it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So it's only a penalty if there are two picks instead of one?
No, I was just pointing out it was not the exact play. But it does "look" even more obvious when you see two guys looking like they are blocking. Probably easier to pull the hanky when you see it that way.

Earlier I was just posting what my friend, who is the referee, told me. It goes along with everything else I've read from other officials.

I admit they look similar. I admit I had my doubts when I first saw the plays in the NC game. But, according to the technicalities of the rule the Bama player engaged the receiver first and then the Clemson receiver "somewhat" attempted to look like he was running a route.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
But that doesn't mean it wouldn't have been OPI. We shouldn't be discussing it.
What's your basis for the play being OPI? It was not called on the field by the officials. By the letter of the rule book the play was not OPI. After review by various football rules expert it was not deemed to be OPI. What's the basis that the play was OPI other than Bama lost the NC on that play?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What's your basis for the play being OPI? It was not called on the field by the officials. By the letter of the rule book the play was not OPI. After review by various football rules expert it was not deemed to be OPI. What's the basis that the play was OPI other than Bama lost the NC on that play?
Because the Clemson player initiated the contact. What does it matter if it wasn't called in the game or if rules experts say it was clean when it's clear as day the Clemson player initiating the contact?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't think we lost this game because of those two "non" calls. There's no guarantee they don't score even if they got called.

I also think we've won games in the past running a similar version of this.

I also think we've lost other games (Johnny Football coming out party - TAMU vs. Bama in T-town) by having the defense beat us on a similar play (when AJ got intercepted).

I also think we'll win some games in the future by running a "rub" play.

AND, I hope we'll win a game in the future by learning how to adjust or better defend this play in the future.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Because the Clemson player initiated the contact. What does it matter if it wasn't called in the game or if rules experts say it was clean when it's clear as day the Clemson player initiating the contact?

Sorry, I don't think it's "clear as day" that Clemson initiated contact.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't our DB scheme in such cases to "jam" the receiver coming off the line anyway?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

It's not clear as day. There was mutual contact which is allowed..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.