Length of college games getting longer article

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
The title game took over 4 hrs. A football game should really take less than 3 hrs IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Running clock with play out of bounds outside 2 minutes (once ball is set) and limit reviews. My opinion.
Having the coach initiate a review would do that. I guess I agree with the philosophy of review (on-the-field officials make a decision regardless and review looks at it to confirm/let stand or overturn. Giving the coaches one red flag/half would force the coaches to make a decision (is this worthy of a review? Is the call weak enough and is this particular play crucial enough?).
Spending five minutes to determine whether the call should be 2nd and 5 at the 40 yardline or second and 4 at the 42 yardline with 7:32 to play in the second quarter is time wasted in my view. In that situation, it's one yard. Who cares? But under the current system, the officials will spend five minutes figuring that out.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I think you start with length of commercials ( most are 3-4 minutes). Should be max of 2 minutes. Halftime is longer in college. Also there is a lot less scoring in the pros. But if there are 30 commercials and you just take 1 minute off, you save 30 minutes.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
Soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc don't have nearly the interruptions from commercial breaks as football. In fact, soccer doesn't allow TV interruptions. Football they score a TD...commercial break.... PAT.... commercial break....kick off...commercial break. They are taking advantage of a natural pause in the game to change squads, but are essentially putting a 5 min time out in the game. it's ridiculous. I wished they'd be like soccer and have no commercials. Before anyone says how can football make money without timeouts there are other ways. soccer has the highest paid athletes in the world and they don't do TV timeouts (commercials). it fundamentally changes the nature of this game too much imo. changing clock management is not the solution. managing commercials is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
It would be so much more time efficient if NCAA would simply give Alabama ALL THE TROPHIES and be done with the charade.

When your game is as long as a LOTR movie, something needs to be done.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Any idea how much time is spent on reviews? The real killers are the commercial breaks. Often times, commercials will get played during a review which may (hopefully) take away from commercial breaks during "regular" commercial break periods (e.g. after PAT, after punt, after kickoff, etc.). Commercials pay the bills so how do you fight that? Reducing the number and raising the price may not sell but it sounds good to me if it does.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Eliminate TV timeouts except for during TO on the field, change of quarter / half, etc and the games would shorten dramatically.
Would you volunteer to take a pay cut? Because that is what you are expecting college football to do. They are not going to reduce TV timeouts or any commercial breaks.

I don't like long games any more than everybody else. But the move to more pass happy offenses is extending the games.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Would you volunteer to take a pay cut? Because that is what you are expecting college football to do. They are not going to reduce TV timeouts or any commercial breaks.

I don't like long games any more than everybody else. But the move to more pass happy offenses is extending the games.

Haven't they already begun not stopping the clock when the ball carrier goes out of bounds unless it is the final two minutes of a half? They could keep the clock running on incomplete passes unless it is under two minutes in the half. That would seem to help, especially the defense. No team should be able to run 99 stinking plays in a 60 minute game.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Haven't they already begun not stopping the clock when the ball carrier goes out of bounds unless it is the final two minutes of a half? They could keep the clock running on incomplete passes unless it is under two minutes in the half. That would seem to help, especially the defense. No team should be able to run 99 stinking plays in a 60 minute game.
I think they did. I agree the only way to shorten games is to reduce game play time with ways like you suggested. But I am not sure I am comfortable with that for some reason.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I understand the economics behind it, but they can increase the fee per second of advertising.

That said, changing the game in order to conserve the hour of commercials is ridiculous - might as well leave it as is.

But then, I don't really care how long the games are.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What is ridiculous is CBS owns 40% of the NFL games a year, and they are way shorter than college and have higher fees for commercial ads. I guess the constant running clock and the 10 minute halftime play into it, but cbs is just outright ridiculous on college games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.