Length of college games getting longer article

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Let's look at this from a different perspective: player safety.

Anyone see this one, about Mark Gastineau?

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...gastineau-says-multiple-brain-diseases-012017

With the increase in football-related brain injuries, something will be done.

So, let's say the PTB decide to go to a running clock. Maybe an exception for the last 2 minutes, of each half. Less plays means less chances for injuries. Games will go faster. As long as the fans are entertained, who will complain?

The networks, obviously. They then have 2 options: longer commercial breaks (you know CBS will be the worst offender, if it comes to that), or raise ad rates. Only so much they can be raised, so bet on a lot of the former.

So, the games will shorter, except for TV games. Which will somehow become even longer.

And since all of our games are on TV....................

(Saw another article, the last day or so, about the NFL guys worrying about how long their games are, and how it affects viewership, which is down. Which is to say they are wanting to excuse other causes for drop in viewership. No link, because that is all I remember, and probably all that is germane.)

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
Would you volunteer to take a pay cut? Because that is what you are expecting college football to do. They are not going to reduce TV timeouts or any commercial breaks.

I don't like long games any more than everybody else. But the move to more pass happy offenses is extending the games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some purists aren't going to like what I'm going to say. Soccer, the other football, doesn't have any commercial breaks. It is the most popular sport in the world with the highest paid athletes in the world. There's other ways of generating revenue other than TV timeouts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Some purists aren't going to like what I'm going to say. Soccer, the other football, doesn't have any commercial breaks. It is the most popular sport in the world with the highest paid athletes in the world. There's other ways of generating revenue other than TV timeouts.

I'll admit to knowing nothing about the financial model in place there, but knowing nothing I wouldn't assume that the model would translate

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
I'll admit to knowing nothing about the financial model in place there, but knowing nothing I wouldn't assume that the model would translate
I don't know all the details either, but we all seem to have our blinders on how revenue is generated. I think one way is similar to NASCAR with advertising on the uniforms - that's the part purists aren't going to like. Also, digital signs around the field are huge - similar to how the yard lines are displayed I think. But before the purists get on to me about the uniforms, I think it's more important that the game be played by the rules than uniforms looking good. The TV timeouts are not a good influence to the game imho.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Don't stop the clock after first downs. Teams are getting in near 100 player per game. Need to reduce the number of plays and overall game time..

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let's look at this from a different perspective: player safety.

Anyone see this one, about Mark Gastineau?

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...gastineau-says-multiple-brain-diseases-012017

With the increase in football-related brain injuries, something will be done.

So, let's say the PTB decide to go to a running clock. Maybe an exception for the last 2 minutes, of each half. Less plays means less chances for injuries. Games will go faster. As long as the fans are entertained, who will complain?

The networks, obviously. They then have 2 options: longer commercial breaks (you know CBS will be the worst offender, if it comes to that), or raise ad rates. Only so much they can be raised, so bet on a lot of the former.

So, the games will shorter, except for TV games. Which will somehow become even longer.

And since all of our games are on TV....................

(Saw another article, the last day or so, about the NFL guys worrying about how long their games are, and how it affects viewership, which is down. Which is to say they are wanting to excuse other causes for drop in viewership. No link, because that is all I remember, and probably all that is germane.)

Wait a second. Are you suggesting - like Coach Saban did - that the number of plays INCREASES the likelihood of injury? You know, the thing Gus Malzahn actually tried to say there was no "evidence" concerning?

Common sense will tell anyone that more plays equals more likelihood of injuries; very few players are injured sitting in a halftime meeting or leaving the field after the game,
while awaiting the line up for the new play.

You can solve this with the Clay Travis solution of getting rid of the halftime band show that nobody but their immediate families even gives a crap about, only have the first down stop the clock in the final 3 minutes of each half, and charge more for advertising.

Do any of you REALLY think there's going to be a massive retreat of advertisers at that time on Saturday on CBS? Anyone think Chick-fil-A or Home Depot will say, "Nah, we're going elsewhere." The other competition is also football.

It's literally been YEARS since I had a DVR set up for a Tide game that the time block was enough for me to NOT have to extend it. YEARS.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I understand the economics behind it, but they can increase the fee per second of advertising.

That said, changing the game in order to conserve the hour of commercials is ridiculous - might as well leave it as is.

But then, I don't really care how long the games are.
Yep, if they shortened the game they'd just add more commericials...it happened a few years ago when they changed the rule about going out of bounds to when the clock only stops in last two minutes of the half. Used to stop everytime during the whole game. What did they do? Shorten the game but add commercials to make more money and a longer telecast.

I'm of the opinion that they should DO NOTHING TO SHORTEN THE ACTUAL PLAYING TIME but they should have less commericals and just charge more for them. Simple...game is shorten and they can make same amount of money with less commerical time.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The funny thing to me is this.....the only time I ever even THINK I want Chick-fil-A is on Sunday after watching the cows burp on Saturday (as Uncle Verne used to call it).

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
The funny thing to me is this.....the only time I ever even THINK I want Chick-fil-A is on Sunday after watching the cows burp on Saturday (as Uncle Verne used to call it).
You don't like Chick-fil-A? That is very un-Southern, maybe even downright un- American

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.