Opponent penalties called before Saban's first Bama title vs. after

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
With so many penalties not being called on our opponents I thought I would do some research to see where we ranked in opponent penalties before Coach Saban's first National Championship at Alabama vs. after his first National Championship here. I went back the past 14 seasons in my research. 7 seasons before Coach Saban won his first National Championship at Bama and the 7 seasons since. The results were quite fascinating. Remember, the lower the ranking the FEWER opponent penalties called. Here they are:

Year-2003 Rank 62
Year-2004 Rank 102
Year-2005 Rank 53
Year-2006 Rank 9
Year-2007 Rank 6
Year-2008 Rank 42
Year-2009 Rank 45
Year-2010 Rank 76
Year-2011 Rank 114
Year-2012 Rank 110
Year-2013 Rank 65
Year-2014 Rank 125
Year-2015 Rank 54
Year 2016 Rank 128

Average ranking before Coach Saban won his 1st title here: 46. Average ranking after Coach Saban won 1st title here (2010-present): 96

After doing this research it seems clear that after Coach Saban won his first title here a bias developed against us. It wasn't just this season that opponents penalties weren't called but others too. It seems the inflection point occurred right after Coach Saban won his 1st title here. There could be several theories. One theory I came up with is that our talent level was so superior to our opponents that the officials felt perhaps if they call every infraction they see against our opponents, games could never be competitive. I could be wrong however. There might be other theories you wish to discuss.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.