Let's talk offensive line performance. Past, present and future

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
CRob was a mystery this year. I don't remember him having these problems even as a true freshman.

He was generally good in pass protection, great in run blocking, especially down field, but then he was good for a couple of false starts a game.

Assuming JW changes over to LT and I don't remember him having but maybe a couple of penalties all year long.
He actually out-graded Robinson on a regular basis...

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
We have had more penalties on the OL in recent years, or so it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
From everything I've read, Stoutland could coach the guys but he couldn't scout very well, which is why we saw the drop off in 2013 and 2014.
That and he wasn't much of a recruiter either. Hated it, although I think more coaches than we realize do...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That and he wasn't much of a recruiter either. Hated it, although I think more coaches than we realize do...
I could never do it. Too much of an introvert. I've always wondered how an introverted personality type could ever succeed in collegiate coaching due to the recruiting aspect.

*edited to add: I've often thought a lot of Nick Saban's issues with the media were actually because he was a bit of an introvert. It seems like he or Terry has even alluded to that in the past but I may be misremembering.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I could never do it. Too much of an introvert. I've always wondered how an introverted personality type could ever succeed in collegiate coaching due to the recruiting aspect.

*edited to add: I've often thought a lot of Nick Saban's issues with the media were actually because he was a bit of an introvert. It seems like he or Terry has even alluded to that in the past but I may be misremembering.
Here's the thing with introverts succeeding in a field where being extroverted is a requirement. Most of them are able to "turn it on" when they have to. Meaning, if in doing their job they enter into a situation that requires being extroverted. They are able to do so. Granted, it is highly uncomfortable for most, it emotionally and many times physically drains them to be in the situation. But they are able to do it to get the job done. I know several HIGHLY successful people in very socially demanding jobs like this. I get the feeling Saban is this way. He does what he has to do to get the job done. Being warm and fuzzy with the media isn't a requirement of getting the job done.

bamadws56

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2005
Fort Benning, GA
I have always thought that Cristobal was a great recruiter and a poor coach. Contrast that with Stoutland who seemed to be a poor recruiter but a great coach. Pendry was the best of both worlds. My question is, if the Cristobal to Oregon rumors pan out, who do we go after to replace him?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.