Let's talk offensive line performance. Past, present and future

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'll just jump right into the main question I want to ask. What are y'alls thoughts on how our OL played this year compared to recent years? This year's OL seemed to be missing something. I'm not sure if it was chemistry, talent or what. I know there were some first time starters but we seem to have one or two of those every year. I maybe having revisionist memory but the past two years it seems our OL's haven't been as strong regarding run blocking. I know someone is already typing Derrick Henry's stats and posting a snarky funny meme of him holding the Heisman Trophy. LOL! But it has been my perception that in the last two years or so our OL's have struggled with run blocking more than what we're used to seeing. I guess I got spoiled from the 2012 OL when we would simply road grate DL's. Do we see any changes being made either in the way of staff or will we keep the course with what we have? Would love to hear some of y'alls thoughts on this.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The problem this year was LG and RG.

Ross was inconsistent at times, and we had a revolving door at RG due to injuries and trying to find the right guy for the spot. Saban likes to have the best 5 OL on the field, but he admitted they were wrong this year in trying to put Lester Cotton at RG since he plays better at tackle.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
The word "Inconsistent" comes to mind for both run and pass blocking. Games/series where we looked good doing either and other times when both left much to be desired. Certainly wasn't one of our more dominant Olines. New center and changeup at guard spot probably reasons why.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
My problem with the offensive line this year was false starts. Take those out and I think the unit was pretty good. Those penalties were drive killers and hurt us all season..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think we've been missing something since Cristobal came on board.
That didn't take long.

Weird thing - other than Cam's false starts, Jonah and Cam were the two best OL all season. The TEs were much better blockers this year, too.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I can't speak to the effectiveness of the OL after the ball was snapped. I mean, we put up some pretty big numbers this year, struggles aside. BUT... I don't think I've seen an Alabama OL (under Nick Saban) produce so many pre snap penalties. By the end of the year I had begun to wonder if Cam had some sort of physical issue... hearing loss, vision impairment... that was causing him to mis the snap count. I'm not joking either and if he really does then I hope he can get it corrected. If not, then somehow he just really struggled with that aspect all year. He wasn't the only one, but it seemed like he had the most.

But I will say that Joe Pendry has not been easily replaced.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The problem this year was LG and RG.

Ross was inconsistent at times, and we had a revolving door at RG due to injuries and trying to find the right guy for the spot. Saban likes to have the best 5 OL on the field, but he admitted they were wrong this year in trying to put Lester Cotton at RG since he plays better at tackle.
That's the way I see it. I thought the interior was as weak or weaker than at any point during Saban's tenure and it showed Monday night. However, much of that had to do with their disrespect for our passing game. At one point in the game, I commented to my wife that there was no way we could continue to run on that, with practically everybody crowding the LOS. Hurts has had to run for his life all too often this year and he hasn't had much success when doing that. All that said, the OL did much better on run blocking, which is to be expected, since it's easier and more natural to learn. After all, a "road grader" is simply a bulldozer. At times, our pass blocking has reminded me of "Bucket-Step Bob's" reign. RG has at time functioned like a turnstile. At some time, you have to look at OL coaching, also. I was reminded of Coach Bryant's remark at the time of his retirement. Seeing the wishbone era coming to a close, he said he didn't want to teach pass-blocking again. Of course, by then, he had delegated the hands-on part. I think he was saying he didn't want to replace his entire offensive coaching staff and start over again...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Our best offensive lines had a mean right guard. We didn't have that this year. A mean right guard who was a leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RWTT11

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2016
Indian Trail, NC
Bottom line, no one respected our ability to pass. Teams stacked the LOS and you can't asked five to block seven and eight players. Pre-snap penalties killed us all year. Pretty sure Cam had at least one a game. LG, RG was very inconsistent.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's why I wouldn't be surprised to see Cristobal leaving for Oregon and we let Brent Key take over the whole OL.
OTOH, our tackles have actually performed much better than our interior line. Of course, we also have more talent there to work with. I bow to Saban's vast knowledge, but it's always seemed to me that, by grouping OT and TE together for coaching purposes, you're almost conceding that your TEs are going to be primarily blockers. Cristobal was an OT himself. Usually, the pattern is to place your best recruiter, and Cristobal is arguably that, and weakest hands-on coach with only the TEs. Then one guy has the OL from tackle to tackle. I don't follow recruiting quite as close as I used to. I've learned just to trust Coach Saban there. However, I'm hoping this class closes some of the holes at interior OL...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Bottom line, no one respected our ability to pass. Teams stacked the LOS and you can't asked five to block seven and eight players. Pre-snap penalties killed us all year. Pretty sure Cam had at least one a game. LG, RG was very inconsistent.
Although my wife has really gotten into Bama football, especially for an Ole Miss grad, she follows personnel very lightly, notices mostly the skill positions and next maybe LBs and DBs. After Cam's first false start, she asked if he were new. I said "No, far from it." I continued to say that he frequently did it twice a game. After his next one, she must have been watching more closely because she said "That's him again."

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
OTOH, our tackles have actually performed much better than our interior line. Of course, we also have more talent there to work with. I bow to Saban's vast knowledge, but it's always seemed to me that, by grouping OT and TE together for coaching purposes, you're almost conceding that your TEs are going to be primarily blockers. Cristobal was an OT himself. Usually, the pattern is to place your best recruiter, and Cristobal is arguably that, and weakest hands-on coach with only the TEs. Then one guy has the OL from tackle to tackle. I don't follow recruiting quite as close as I used to. I've learned just to trust Coach Saban there. However, I'm hoping this class closes some of the holes at interior OL...
I think the OL will be little better next year and in two years as well. I think we'll see another freshman battling for spot over veterans.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I know leading up to the championship game the SEC Network guys did a very informational breakdown on our OL. I think it was either Booger or Spears with McElroy analyzing our OL play. The RG position was the biggest weakness in their opinions. They highlighted more than a handful of plays in different games throughout the regular season and showed the breakdowns from that position. Many of them were compensated by Jalen's ability to scramble. There were a few in the aTm game that turned into big chunk plays (one a TD I think). They also pointed out Cam Robinson's habitual false starts. He's good for at least two and they seem to come at the worst times.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Usually, the pattern is to place your best recruiter, and Cristobal is arguably that, and weakest hands-on coach with only the TEs. Then one guy has the OL from tackle to tackle. .
I was under the impression that is what we've already done with MC just coaching the TEs. So who is coaching the interior?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
CRob was a mystery this year. I don't remember him having these problems even as a true freshman.

He was generally good in pass protection, great in run blocking, especially down field, but then he was good for a couple of false starts a game.

Assuming JW changes over to LT and I don't remember him having but maybe a couple of penalties all year long.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.