2017 depth chart

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
Losing Stewart at WR hurts. I'm not sure who else can take pressure off Ridley. Lots of sterling, very little production.
It hurts that we lost 3 of the 4 receiving producers this year.
That is if Stewart decides to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Losing Stewart at WR hurts. I'm not sure who else can take pressure off Ridley. Lots of sterling, very little production.
Sims and Diggs for sure possibly Foster if he gets his act together, but WR is certainly one position a signee can contribute immediately. Got a couple of good ones already in school and it looks pretty good for signing Ruggs and maybe even Smith.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
QB:
Jalon Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa, Mac Jones, Montana Murphy and Josh Palet. (I still think Josh Palet will be backup over Tua and Mac to allow them to redshirt.)
RB: Damien Harris, Bo Scarbough, Joshua Jacobs, Ronnie Clark, BJ Emmons. Freshmen: Najee Harris and Brian Robinson. ( I think I expect two more to transfer before 2017 season)
OL: Brandon kennedy, Dallas Warmack, Jacob Probasco, Will Davis, J.C> Hassenauer, Brandon Moore, Deonte Brown, Lester Cotton, Josh Casher, Ross Pierschbacher, Richie Petitbon, Jonah Williams, Bradley Bozeman, Scott Lashley, Matt Womack,Chris Owen. Freshmen: Alex Leatherwood, Elliot Baker (Juco), Hunter Brannon, Jedrick Willis, Kendall Randolph. (Hard to figure out the depth for OL, I see Ross, Bozeman and Williams locking it down, but others are up for grab)
TE: Hale Hentges, Miller Forristall. Freshmen: Kedrick James, Major Tenison (All will play I think.)
WR: Calvin Ridley, Cam Sims, TJ Simmons, Trevor Diggs, Xavian Marks. Freshmen: Tyrell Shavers, Jerry Jeudy. (Didn’t list Derek Kief or Raheem Falkins on purpose.) I listed receivers in order that I thought would see playing time. Jerry Jeudy should play as well.
DL: Da'Shawn Hand, Da’ron Payne, Raekwon Davis, Joshua Frazier, Jamar King,OJ Smith, Dwight, Johnny, Freshmen: Akial Byer, Isaiah Buggs. (This is not final list) hard to determine because we may not be done recruiting at the DL.

LB: Shaun Hamilton, Rashaad Evans, Terell Hall, Ben Davis, Mack Wilson, Jamey Mosley, Shawn Jennings, Keaton Anderson, Anfernee Jenning, Joshua Mcmillon, Keith Holcombe, Christian Miller, Mekhi BrownFreshmen: Dylan Moses, VanDarius Cowan, Markail Benton, Christopher Allen (This is very deep LB spot and This will be interesting to see who steps up in spring and fall camp)
DB: (This include CB and Safety) Ronnie Harrison, Shyheim Carter, Anthony Averett, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Hootie Jones, Tony Brown, Levi Wallace, Jared Mayden, Nigel Knott, Deionte Thompson, Aaron Robinson. Freshmen: Jhavonte Dean and Kyriq McDonald( JUCO), Daniel Wright and Xavier McKinney.
** I wouldn’t be shocked to see few people moving around at CB and Safety this spring. Hard to see who will grab a spot, assuming Marlon leaves for NFL.

Kicker: Brandon Ruiz (Freshman)
LS: Thomas Fletcher (Freshman)
I wouldn't be surprised to see BJ Emmons get some work on the defensive side. He actually may be better suited there.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I wouldn't be surprised to see BJ Emmons get some work on the defensive side. He actually may be better suited there.
I know we signed Harris as a running back and I am sure there is a 99% chance that is the position he plays, but given our situation and depth at running back at the moment compared to receiver, I would not be totally shocked if he got a look at receiver. I forget which recruiting source it was but they said this kid could be a five star running back or a five star receiver. They showed some highlights of a UA event last year and he did make some four and five star defensive backs look foolish.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I know we signed Harris as a running back and I am sure there is a 99% chance that is the position he plays, but given our situation and depth at running back at the moment compared to receiver, I would not be totally shocked if he got a look at receiver. I forget which recruiting source it was but they said this kid could be a five star running back or a five star receiver. They showed some highlights of a UA event last year and he did make some four and five star defensive backs look foolish.
He played RB and DB in high school, as well as being the punter/kicker. Incredible kick returner as demonstrated by him being in that position on kick-offs the week before he got hurt. WR? I don't know about that but he certainly is an athlete...So we will see.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
You know what... YOu might be on something. Ragland played some there.

Hightower did also at times and almost all of our OLBs spend time with their hands in the dirt - we use them as the "light" DE in the nickel and typically have two guys listed as LB lined up as DEs in the dime.

So we'd be ok for the guys to perhaps play on the edge (jennings and hall could probably get to the 275-280 range in one offseason, but I'm not sure if any of them could gain the weight they'd need to play inside where we really need some depth.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Hightower did also at times and almost all of our OLBs spend time with their hands in the dirt - we use them as the "light" DE in the nickel and typically have two guys listed as LB lined up as DEs in the dime.

So we'd be ok for the guys to perhaps play on the edge (jennings and hall could probably get to the 275-280 range in one offseason, but I'm not sure if any of them could gain the weight they'd need to play inside where we really need some depth.
Keep that in mind, We kinda went away from gaining weight at LB to losing weight... We saw how fast Foster was at the weight he was playing compared to last year.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I wonder if Hump goes how that will impact other positions - i.e. would we see him move back to CB perhaps and open up a S slot for Hootie/Thompson to compete for

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Instead of overpowering you with everything I'll pick one of the most interesting, LB

At Jack Alabama has
Anfree Jennings - definately showed signs he's ready for prime time
Terrell Hall, a 6' 5" 247 lb monster who started playing meaningful snaps mid season then dissappeared (injury ?)

At Sam this might be Christian Millers year, he's pretty quick but isn't as big and strong as Anderson.
I have no clue who else would play sam, Shawn Jennings? Dylan Moses?

At ILB we have the big ? Shawn Dion Hamilton, will he be healed and ready for fall?
At the other inside spot we have Rashaan Evans who looks to be the next 1st round draft pick at MLB

Behind them I expect Mack Wilson to start getting meanigful snaps or possibly start if Hamilton can't get back.
Ben Davis? he got hurt and chose a redshirt but this guy could be ready to go by fall as well.

I don't know where Joshua McMillon and Mekhi Brown fall, I felt like Brown may be should move up to DE.

I think the unit will be solid and diverse but the big issue is that Anderson/Williams were a pair I question if we can replace. Anderson especially seemed to be the devil to Quarterbacks. If only he didn't get caught on that last fumble pickup :(

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
He played RB and DB in high school, as well as being the punter/kicker. Incredible kick returner as demonstrated by him being in that position on kick-offs the week before he got hurt. WR? I don't know about that but he certainly is an athlete...So we will see.
I am pretty sure it was one of the early camps UA had and I saw the highlights, they may be in his thread in the recruiting forum but they were using him as a receiver and he was abusing db's in the open field. If nothing else he will a nightmare for teams coming out of the backfield.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
DL: Both OJ Smith and Johnny Dwight in the program for two seasons, yet little time on field and same for talk of contributing next season.

Would be a significant help if we can get quality minutes from these two - and Jamar King- in 2017.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Keep that in mind, We kinda went away from gaining weight at LB to losing weight... We saw how fast Foster was at the weight he was playing compared to last year.

that's absolutely true for the ILBs so they can play sideline to sideline with speed, but our OLBs have stayed relatively heavy since they often play on the LOS and take on OTs. Both RA and TW were 250+ this year and their primary backup, Jennings, is also 250+ with Hall also being 250+. The reason Evans moved from OLB to ILB is size, and the only OLB to play this year at less that 250 is Miller who was used in a speed rush role in certain packages (much like Evans before the move to ILB).

The question is if any of the above could gain enough solid weight to contribute as a DE, or DL n 2017. I think perhaps as a DE like Allen and hand in the 280 range, but not likely as an interior DL in the 290-310 range. Plus if they did, we'd not have any returning experience at OLB

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
DL: Both OJ Smith and Johnny Dwight in the program for two seasons, yet little time on field and same for talk of contributing next season.

Would be a significant help if we can get quality minutes from these two - and Jamar King- in 2017.

I heard Dwight was apparently in trouble the first part of the year and not able to play. Hopefully we'll be able to get minutes from him in 2017. fraiser started getting more reps later in the year and actually being able to contribute with making more plays when in the game. he probably should have gotten more reps earlier, but maybe there was an injury holding him back we didn't know about.

King played in ONE game in mop up duty. I would have hoped for more in 16 and that lack or PT this year doesn't bode well for a big role in 17. Williams and Davis are said to be pretty game ready now and the JUCO DE hopefully will be able to step in with quality game reps early.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I heard Dwight was apparently in trouble the first part of the year and not able to play. Hopefully we'll be able to get minutes from him in 2017. fraiser started getting more reps later in the year and actually being able to contribute with making more plays when in the game. he probably should have gotten more reps earlier, but maybe there was an injury holding him back we didn't know about.

King played in ONE game in mop up duty. I would have hoped for more in 16 and that lack or PT this year doesn't bode well for a big role in 17. Williams and Davis are said to be pretty game ready now and the JUCO DE hopefully will be able to step in with quality game reps early.
King not playing much at all this season at his age is a bad sign for next season in regards to him playing very much.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Instead of overpowering you with everything I'll pick one of the most interesting, LB

At Jack Alabama has
Anfree Jennings - definately showed signs he's ready for prime time
Terrell Hall, a 6' 5" 247 lb monster who started playing meaningful snaps mid season then dissappeared (injury ?)

At Sam this might be Christian Millers year, he's pretty quick but isn't as big and strong as Anderson.
I have no clue who else would play sam, Shawn Jennings? Dylan Moses?

At ILB we have the big ? Shawn Dion Hamilton, will he be healed and ready for fall?
At the other inside spot we have Rashaan Evans who looks to be the next 1st round draft pick at MLB

Behind them I expect Mack Wilson to start getting meanigful snaps or possibly start if Hamilton can't get back.
Ben Davis? he got hurt and chose a redshirt but this guy could be ready to go by fall as well.

I don't know where Joshua McMillon and Mekhi Brown fall, I felt like Brown may be should move up to DE.

I think the unit will be solid and diverse but the big issue is that Anderson/Williams were a pair I question if we can replace. Anderson especially seemed to be the devil to Quarterbacks. If only he didn't get caught on that last fumble pickup :(
Seriously, how many LBers does Alabama have on scholarship? If I counted right from the OP, and including recruits, is the total 17?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.