2017 depth chart

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Seriously, how many LBers does Alabama have on scholarship? If I counted right from the OP, and including recruits, is the total 17?
I'm not a "scheme" expert but it appears from observation that Alabama leans more toward the 4 linebackers on the field vs the three set that they seemed to do more of in the early saban years. So I think that is why we have more LB's now and less DE's. I count 15 for the fall but we could have some attrition. James Mosley was a walk on scholly and I don't know if those renew automatically or if they are year to year. That number does not include any uncommitted freshman who sign on by Febuary.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Next I'll take a stab at OL.

What we know, These three return and should start

G Ross Pierschbacher
C Bradley Bozeman
T Jonah Williams

Two more have some experience
T Lester Cotton
G/C JC Hassenauer

We have one Jr College Transfer
Elliot Baker - Though we hit on our first few Jr college signees in Saban's Dynasty we have not done well lately to the point that I'd say there is only a 50% chance that a jr college guy every makes a winning contribution. I hope Baker is a throwback to before

So we have one guard spot and one tackle spot that are open.

At Guards you have little Warmack, Josh Casher who broke his foot late in the season, Brandon Kennedy, Richie Petitbon, and two guys we redshirted last year Deonte Brown and Chris Owens. Plus we are supposed to sign a G Netori Johnson. At 348 lbs this guy is probably in for of year of unmitigated hell from Cochran. Throw all those guys in the Octigon and I have no idea who will come out on top. We haven't had stability at right guard for a while.

At the tackle spot you have Baker, Cotton, Scott Lashley who we redshirted last season. The signee Alex Leatherwood who is on campus, and that massive kid from Miss Matt Womack. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Jedrick Willis who we should sign but it seems like Leatherwood having the spring would have the jump on him.

Everyone assumes that Williams will switch to Left tackle and I do too but until we see him pass protect from that side we don't know. We all assumed Cotton could play guard and it didn't work out so well. I'm guessing it's his job to lose though.

I think the T battle will be between Leatherwood, Cotton, and Baker, with an outside shot from Womack.

I think the guard battle will work down to Warmack, Hassenauer and Casher if his foot is healed up.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Next I'll take a stab at OL.

What we know, These three return and should start

G Ross Pierschbacher
C Bradley Bozeman
T Jonah Williams

Two more have some experience
T Lester Cotton
G/C JC Hassenauer

We have one Jr College Transfer
Elliot Baker - Though we hit on our first few Jr college signees in Saban's Dynasty we have not done well lately to the point that I'd say there is only a 50% chance that a jr college guy every makes a winning contribution. I hope Baker is a throwback to before

So we have one guard spot and one tackle spot that are open.

At Guards you have little Warmack, Josh Casher who broke his foot late in the season, Brandon Kennedy, Richie Petitbon, and two guys we redshirted last year Deonte Brown and Chris Owens. Plus we are supposed to sign a G Netori Johnson. At 348 lbs this guy is probably in for of year of unmitigated hell from Cochran. Throw all those guys in the Octigon and I have no idea who will come out on top. We haven't had stability at right guard for a while.

At the tackle spot you have Baker, Cotton, Scott Lashley who we redshirted last season. The signee Alex Leatherwood who is on campus, and that massive kid from Miss Matt Womack. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Jedrick Willis who we should sign but it seems like Leatherwood having the spring would have the jump on him.

Everyone assumes that Williams will switch to Left tackle and I do too but until we see him pass protect from that side we don't know. We all assumed Cotton could play guard and it didn't work out so well. I'm guessing it's his job to lose though.

I think the T battle will be between Leatherwood, Cotton, and Baker, with an outside shot from Womack.

I think the guard battle will work down to Warmack, Hassenauer and Casher if his foot is healed up.
Netori Johnson hasn't been committed to Alabama in months. He flipped to UGA.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If I was Aubrey Solomon, I`d work this summer to make sure I couldn`t be kept off the field next fall. The D line is prime, on the market real estate for a kid that`s ready to work for it.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I'm not a "scheme" expert but it appears from observation that Alabama leans more toward the 4 linebackers on the field vs the three set that they seemed to do more of in the early saban years. So I think that is why we have more LB's now and less DE's. I count 15 for the fall but we could have some attrition. James Mosley was a walk on scholly and I don't know if those renew automatically or if they are year to year. That number does not include any uncommitted freshman who sign on by Febuary.
We play with three lbs way more than we do with 4. Like 90 percent of the time it's three.

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
Mine depth chart:

Offense:
QB: Hurts/Tua

LT: Jonah
LG: Ross
C: Bozeman
RG: Lester Cotton
LT: Elliot /Alex Leatherwood

WR X: Ridley
WR Y: Cam Sims
Slot: Diggs/Jerry Jeudy
RB: Bo/Harris/Najee
HB: Forristall
TE: Hentges

Defense:
DE: Hands/Raekwon
DT: Payne/Frazier

Jack:Jennings/Terrell Hall
Sam: Shaun Dion/Christian Miller
Mike: Rashaad Evans
Will: Keith Kolcombe/Mack Wilson

CB: Averett/Tony Brown
FS: Ronnie Harrison
SS: Mikah/Hootie-Jones
Star: Shyheim

PR/KR: Diggs/Marks
K:Ruiz
LS: Fletcher
Holder: Tua

Who's the most likely to play at each position next season.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Good list. I'd replace Harris with Jacobs at 2nd RB, but can't argue otherwise.

Mine depth chart:

Offense:

Defense:

Cowtown Bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2007
I've heard Quinnen Williams is a guy to watch out for. He should be able to get some experience there next year on the defensive line.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Mine depth chart:

Offense:

Defense:

I don't think we'd move SDH from an inside spot to OLB so he'll probably be the MIKE with Evans at WILL. Jennings and Hall will be the primary guys at the OLB spots.

At OG I don't see Cotton playing there. He had every chance there this year and he's just not an inside guy and will stay outside at OT even if that relegates him to a backup role.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
Mine depth chart:

Offense:

Defense:

My opinion

Rb: Bo, D. Harris, Jacobs

Cotton will factor into the tackle battle not guard and he could win the right tackle job

I don't see Davis playing the end spot, he's too big. I think Payne is quick enough that he may slide over at times like Dareus and Robinson with Raekwon at NT.

Hamilton in the middle with Evans outside. I think both will have a huge year with Hamilton emerging as the new leader on defense.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
You may be correct but the left outside linebacker a.k.a Sam did not see the field as often in prior years as I belive was the case until we started having to deal with the HUNH
Not really. With the advent of hunh, we've decreased the amount of time the 4th lb is on the field even more than it used to be to the point that our base d is really a 3-3-5 now. Just about the only time.we use two oLB's now is when we are in dime, and they line up as DEs to rush the QB. It's also not based on left and right when we do use two in the 3-4, it's based on the strong side of the defense.

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
Any thoughts on where TJ Simmons or Derek Kief fit in with the offense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been wondering the samd thing about Derek Kief. I have been waiting and waiting to see him on the field more. I really hope he contributes more next year. He has GREAT hands and is a taller WR that can go up and get the ball.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I have been wondering the samd thing about Derek Kief. I have been waiting and waiting to see him on the field more. I really hope he contributes more next year. He has GREAT hands and is a taller WR that can go up and get the ball.
We don't throw that ball in our offense. Pure and simple. I guess maybe that's the next step in the development of our offense into modern passing schemes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.