Jalen, Tua, and who else? Are we looking to bring in at least one more QB?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
A few years ago I would have said save Tua with a redshirt, but if he's the second best qb behind Jalen next year, get that boy in some games and let him get some experience.

This is especially needed with JH's running talent. Even if he doesn't get a severe/season ending type injury, but just got banged up or a twisted ankle or something like that, we could allow Tua to finish a game or start the next one if he can get some early playing time.

He'll either be so good that he'll only stay 3 years (even if we burn his shirt) OR he'll listen to the draft experts and stay for a fourth if the timing for him to come out is not good. But I'm of the opinion that he needs to play is he's clearly our #2 guy.

#2 is 1 play away from being #1 all the time.
I agree completely. If they are ready to play, play them. If they are not, redshirt them. This is especially true with these four and five star guys these days. They will either leave for the NFL after three or four years or transfer out if they are not playing. To me, the redshirt is only for guys who are not ready to play either mentally, physically, or both.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Problem with that is Hurts is only here for maybe 2 years... So Tua would be JR. I really would like Tua to be 3 years starter instead of 2 years... we want to build long term situation at QB for next 6 years. We just went through 3 different QB in 3 years and that's hard.
You have seen something in Hurts that makes you think that he will play in the NFL?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
You have seen something in Hurts that makes you think that he will play in the NFL?
Not without vast improvement in the next two (or more likely three) years. Pro scouts have been downplaying DW's draft status because of a) number of interceptions and b) practically no improvement statistics-wise from last year to this year. JH ain't even in DW's class when it comes to passing; he has a LONG way to go.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have actually. He's ahead of the actual production of pretty much every QB ever. Now, the real question is how he develops now. But, Lamar Jackson didn't look nearly as good as Hurts his true freshman season and a lot of people have him pegged for the NFL. If he just develops like pretty much every QB Alabama has had, if he improves from year to year, yeah the NFL could be in his future and yes he could even leave early.

Does he have the arm strength? Does he have the size? Does he have the physical tools? I'd say yes. He's clearly not as polished a passer as he can be, but look at Jacob Eason's stats and a lot of people have him pegged as a phenom. Development takes time and if Hurts develops he'll have the NFL taking a good look at him. Heck, even GMac got a shot and he was physically inferior in just about every respect.

Anyway, to quote an article:"At least one NFL scout already compares Hurts to a young Russell Wilson. "He's got an NFL arm and great escapability, but he's still a work in progress in the passing game," says the NFC scout. "He's the kind of player Bear Bryant would have loved: tough and smart and a total team-first player. The NFL will be watching him closely for the next few years."

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Not without vast improvement in the next two (or more likely three) years. Pro scouts have been downplaying DW's draft status because of a) number of interceptions and b) practically no improvement statistics-wise from last year to this year. JH ain't even in DW's class when it comes to passing; he has a LONG way to go.
Agree. I believe he will be at Bama for three more years. IMO, right now, he is a great running back playing QB. Again IMO, at 6'-2", not a high draft pick QB.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Lamar Jackson was terrible first year, but has showed hint of flash here and there, and then in second season, he improved a lot, and i expect him to be even lot better in third season... so he has a chance, so Why can't Hurts have same opportunity as long he continues to improve. I see lot of potential in him.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Lamar Jackson was terrible first year, but has showed hint of flash here and there, and then in second season, he improved a lot, and i expect him to be even lot better in third season... so he has a chance, so Why can't Hurts have same opportunity as long he continues to improve. I see lot of potential in him.
I read your post to mean that you expect him to only play 2 more years. Sure, he has a chance. A better chance than most. But only the best passers make it in the NFL. Right now, Hurts is one of the worst passers in college football. Take out his stats from the jet sweeps and look at what's left. Compare them to other QBs in the SEC, in a bad year for SEC QBs. It isn't pretty.

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
I read your post to mean that you expect him to only play 2 more years. Sure, he has a chance. A better chance than most. But only the best passers make it in the NFL. Right now, Hurts is one of the worst passers in college football. Take out his stats from the jet sweeps and look at what's left. Compare them to other QBs in the SEC, in a bad year for SEC QBs. It isn't pretty.
But he's only a Freshman. He has lots of room to grow. This offseason he will be able to work on the passing game more because he won't be fighting to play hopefully. He'll get better timing and coordination with the receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
But he's only a Freshman. He has lots of room to grow. This offseason he will be able to work on the passing game more because he won't be fighting to play hopefully. He'll get better timing and coordination with the receivers.

Not a huge Kiper fan but he did give a pretty insightful dissertation a couple of weeks ago on Finebaum about the success of NFL QBs that stayed 4 years vs those that declared early. I don't remember the stats but I do remember thinking - wow that's a big gap.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not a huge Kiper fan but he did give a pretty insightful dissertation a couple of weeks ago on Finebaum about the success of NFL QBs that stayed 4 years vs those that declared early. I don't remember the stats but I do remember thinking - wow that's a big gap.

I think that is my point. It is one thing to believe that he might get there. It is another to project him in the NFL after only 3 years given where he stands after the first. He is clearly a leader, and his poise is simply incredible, but those things alone won't get him drafted.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
B1GTide, you have been complaining about him for months... Every opportunity you find, you always harp on the fact that he's the worst passer, and you know what... he's just a freshman... he had to work with offense developed by Kiffin. You're judging him already ... Give him two years.. and he'll improve drastically.

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
I think that is my point. It is one thing to believe that he might get there. It is another to project him in the NFL after only 3 years given where he stands after the first. He is clearly a leader, and his poise is simply incredible, but those things alone won't get him drafted.
Agreed but they will help. It didn't give up all season. That's shows a lot.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
B1GTide, you have been complaining about him for months... Every opportunity you find, you always harp on the fact that he's the worst passer, and you know what... he's just a freshman... he had to work with offense developed by Kiffin. You're judging him already ... Give him two years.. and he'll improve drastically.
I think JH did about as well as could be expected this year. I'm proud of him for his effort. He was tough, fast and unflappable this year. I admire all those qualities.
He is going to have to improve as a passer and a reader of defenses before next season. The fact that opponents had little respect for him as a passer hurt Bama a great deal last year. Time to learn to make them pay for that next year.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't recall a similar situation in the past. We have played young QB's but it was because the beat out older ones. Next season we have a sophmore who we just hope is going to be much better, but we don't know if he will till we know. And two freshman who should probably redshirt but one of them is going to have to be the backup. Though I believe Mac Jones may need a year of S&C his arm looks good. I really have no idea how all this works out.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

I wouldn't be too sure about Hurts not having to fight for his chance to play. CNS wants Jalen to get better by having to fight for playing time. I think from what I hear, that Tua is a significantly better passer than Jalen Hurts and may not be lagging behind as a runner. I think Jalen would naturally be ahead of Tua in strength and conditioning and also reading defenses as well as knowing the playbook more. Jalen has more than a good shot of being the starting QB this fall but it isn't a given. May the best man win. The way it is and the way it should be. RTR

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
I wouldn't be too sure about Hurts not having to fight for his chance to play. CNS wants Jalen to get better by having to fight for playing time. I think from what I hear, that Tua is a significantly better passer than Jalen Hurts and may not be lagging behind as a runner. I think Jalen would naturally be ahead of Tua in strength and conditioning and also reading defenses as well as knowing the playbook more. Jalen has more than a good shot of being the starting QB this fall but it isn't a given. May the best man win. The way it is and the way it should be. RTR
But remember Tua hasn't faced the level of talent that college football has. Especially in the SEC. So he might have killed it in HS but he may not be as good against top level talent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.