Jalen, Tua, and who else? Are we looking to bring in at least one more QB?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Has it been determined whether or not Hurts' hands are small ? It appears to me that he has trouble in gripping the ball. If so, do they monitor the air pressure in the ball in CFB as closely as they do in the NFL?
:biggrin:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Again, my comments in this thread are tied to his NFL prospects. It took a monumental effort by Clemson to stop you guys on Monday with him at QB. I have more of a beef with the play calling in that game. Hurts was put in a very bad position. The loss is on your coaches, IMO.
IMO, your constant all over the place comments are dull. On the coaches how? Bo getting hurt put Jalen or anyone else in a bad position. What if Henry had been knocked out in the second half last year? That would have put Jake in a very bad position for sure. The game plan was becoming perfectly clear until the injury happened, and from that point on it was pray our D can hold on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Again, my comments in this thread are tied to his NFL prospects. It took a monumental effort by Clemson to stop you guys on Monday with him at QB. I have more of a beef with the play calling in that game. Hurts was put in a very bad position. The loss is on your coaches, IMO.
This loss was certainly not on the coaches. We have a very good running back playing QB. We basically called plays for a wildcat offense because of an inefficient passing game. Sark did a good job.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, your constant all over the place comments are dull. On the coaches how? Bo getting hurt put Jalen or anyone else in a bad position. What if Henry had been knocked out in the second half last year? That would have put Jake in a very bad position for sure. The game plan was becoming perfectly clear until the injury happened, and from that point on it was pray our D can hold on.
You are probably right. My thoughts about the game are all over the place. Maybe Clemson was just the better team. But that is hard for me to swallow.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Too much OC drama and not enough passing game to make first downs. About sums it up for me. Waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
My son insists that Hurts has an NFL arm but I have seen maybe 2 throws that come close to indicating this. Regardless of stats and decision making, I see an NFL arm on Eason at UGA. He can stand flat footed and put some zip on an across the field pass.

Maybe Hurts physically has the arm to do this but needs to improve technique. I'm not ready to say Hurts is a 3 year and out to the NFL QB until I see this.
Ryan Leaf had an NFL arm. He in the HOF? You also have to have an NFL head to go with it. Ask ANY elite QB and they will tell you to a man, 18 year olds almost NEVER play. NEVER. They aren't ready for two major reasons and in today's world 3. Let's look at today. HS programs don't run this system. PERIOD. This means almost every qb doesn't take a snap under center. So there's that. Next you have to be able to throw receivers open. Predicting Windows to throw in and throwing before a receivers is open only comes through experience. Lastly, a QB ready for our system had to be able to read defenses. They have the ability to make calls and changes "BY THEMSELVES" at the LOS. IOW they know what's coming. This also is only gained through in-game experience. People are truly showing and saying how little they know about fball with every comment about JH along these lines. It's starting to get aggravating.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You win and lose as a team. Clemson was the better team that night.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
I believe most comments regarding JH's performance in the last 3 or 4 games are not so much a belief that he is a bad QB as they are of being accustomed to having an older, more seasoned QB who has had time to develop in the areas where JH has not. Everyone understands that he is only 18 (barely at that), and while that explains everything, having to have an 18 year old QB is just not something that we've had to deal with. Again, what he did at this point in his career was phenomenal, but areas could be considered lacking in an upperclassmen. As has been said, his upside is tremendous with only minor improvements that will surely happen. The future at QB is bright.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
My son insists that Hurts has an NFL arm but I have seen maybe 2 throws that come close to indicating this. Regardless of stats and decision making, I see an NFL arm on Eason at UGA. He can stand flat footed and put some zip on an across the field pass.

Maybe Hurts physically has the arm to do this but needs to improve technique. I'm not ready to say Hurts is a 3 year and out to the NFL QB until I see this.
Eason has a cannon. Those type of arms can take chances. And is also cause for higher interception totals. I wouldn't say Jalen has an NFL arm but if he improves in other areas he will have a shot if he remains our starter another 3 years.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Ryan Leaf had an NFL arm. He in the HOF? You also have to have an NFL head to go with it. Ask ANY elite QB and they will tell you to a man, 18 year olds almost NEVER play. NEVER. They aren't ready for two major reasons and in today's world 3. Let's look at today. HS programs don't run this system. PERIOD. This means almost every qb doesn't take a snap under center. So there's that. Next you have to be able to throw receivers open. Predicting Windows to throw in and throwing before a receivers is open only comes through experience. Lastly, a QB ready for our system had to be able to read defenses. They have the ability to make calls and changes "BY THEMSELVES" at the LOS. IOW they know what's coming. This also is only gained through in-game experience. People are truly showing and saying how little they know about fball with every comment about JH along these lines. It's starting to get aggravating.

I have no idea if Ryan Leaf is in the HOF but you can probably do an internet search.

Not arguing about the other aspects; just saying a player also has to have an NFL arm to expect to be drafted as a junior. Some people are showing how little they have in reading comprehension.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Dont compare Hurts to another freshmen in college football. I don't think those other guys ran the same offense as Hurts did... and combine that with Kiffin poor job of developing Hurts... That's why he regressed.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Dont compare Hurts to another freshmen in college football. I don't think those other guys ran the same offense as Hurts did... and combine that with Kiffin poor job of developing Hurts... That's why he regressed.
Jalen "regressed" because he played the toughest schedule in the country that was backloaded with the best teams and defenses, teams we couldn't overwhelm as our fans expect.

That said, Kiffin didn't stay a game too long, it was a complete year. CNS should have stuck with his original decision and pushed him out the door after last year's Clemson game. The Washington performance is Kiffin's to bear. He's lucky he already had a new job.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Anyone from Tua's area of the world that can tell us about the talent he went up against.

Lived in Hawaii from 89 to 91. Dad was stationed at Schofield on the island of Oahu. It's like most areas. Some good schools some not so great. St. Louis is a private school won like 12 straight state championships in the 80's to early 90's. It's a private school so they can cherry pick talent and offer the students scholarships so to speak. The thing I remember most is Kauku high school in 90 had an offensive line that averages 6'5 320 pounds. The smallest player was the senior center at 6'2 280. The only team in all of football that year that had a bigger oline was the Colts. Same school Marcus Mariotta went to.

Cowtown Bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2007
I expect Hurts will improve. He missed almost every long throw this year. He didn't force many throws. It was obvious he was coached to throw the ball away if he didn't have a guy open. With our defense it was understandable. There were several noticeable plays where we had receivers wide open and he didn't see them. With a little more experience we shouldn't be settling for as many field goals next year.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
My opinion is that the majority of Hurts' issues are mental. He doesn't really know how to throw receivers open yet, and this is part of why the timing was off all year. Another off-season of learning how to read defenses and working on fundamentals will go a long away. Most QBs make a huge jump from year 1 to year 2.

And although I think Tua is a great player and physically a better passer than Jalen, he's probably gonna have some of the same transitional struggles, especially coming from Hawaii. My expectation is that he can bring competition and push Jalen, but that's about it.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
My opinion is that the majority of Hurts' issues are mental. He doesn't really know how to throw receivers open yet, and this is part of why the timing was off all year. Another off-season of learning how to read defenses and working on fundamentals will go a long away. Most QBs make a huge jump from year 1 to year 2.
And, it seemed he went from underthrowing receivers earlier in the year, to overthrowing them late in the year. He was making adjustments, but he just needs more time to dial it in. Which, I think, is the consensus from all knowledgeable fans: Not a great passer, but just needs more time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.