Jalen, Tua, and who else? Are we looking to bring in at least one more QB?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
We were fortunate not to have an injury and both Jalen and Tua like to run it. Just wondering what our plans may be for an additional QB.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I would find a serviceable juco or grad transfer and offer him a deal. You get a free education, a good chance at a national championship ring and the right to use Nick Saban as a job reference. In exchange you carry a clipboard for two years and play mop up time so we don't burn Tua's redshirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I would find a serviceable juco or grad transfer and offer him a deal. You get a free education, a good chance at a national championship ring and the right to use Nick Saban as a job reference. In exchange you carry a clipboard for two years and play mop up time so we don't burn Tua's redshirt.

3-year talent, no use in redshirting especially if he's 2nd best

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I agree with this line of thinking. Find a qb who doesn't have four and five stars behind his name who has the potential to be a diamond in the rough. But good enough to be a backup quarterback in the SEC. Most guys with 4 and 5 stars behind their names expect to play and play within a relatively short amount of time. The moment they feel like that might not happen, they bolt. Leaving the team they signed with scrambling.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
That's exactly what I'd be in favor of as well. Preserve the eligibility of the freshman, no sense in playing them unless it serves a purpose. Even if Tua is a 3 year guy, even Winston redshirted and it did no harm. The idea is that the "veteran" who is brought in is there as a backup and for regular situations (with possibly a walk-on as the third stringer), and Tua shouldn't come into play unless it's an emergency type situation.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I agree with this line of thinking. Find a qb who doesn't have four and five stars behind his name who has the potential to be a diamond in the rough. But good enough to be a backup quarterback in the SEC. Most guys with 4 and 5 stars behind their names expect to play and play within a relatively short amount of time. The moment they feel like that might not happen, they bolt. Leaving the team they signed with scrambling.
Somebody in the mold of Jay Barker. I think Samford was the only other school who wanted him. He did quite well as I recall.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A few years ago I would have said save Tua with a redshirt, but if he's the second best qb behind Jalen next year, get that boy in some games and let him get some experience.

This is especially needed with JH's running talent. Even if he doesn't get a severe/season ending type injury, but just got banged up or a twisted ankle or something like that, we could allow Tua to finish a game or start the next one if he can get some early playing time.

He'll either be so good that he'll only stay 3 years (even if we burn his shirt) OR he'll listen to the draft experts and stay for a fourth if the timing for him to come out is not good. But I'm of the opinion that he needs to play is he's clearly our #2 guy.

#2 is 1 play away from being #1 all the time.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I expect one of the QB we have on the roster to play back up role... while we might see Tua/Jones redshirt to preserve their eligibility. They probably would do the same situation they did with AJ: AJ was no. 2, but was redshirted. It would be better for Tua/Jones to be redshirted anyway.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
A few years ago I would have said save Tua with a redshirt, but if he's the second best qb behind Jalen next year, get that boy in some games and let him get some experience.

This is especially needed with JH's running talent. Even if he doesn't get a severe/season ending type injury, but just got banged up or a twisted ankle or something like that, we could allow Tua to finish a game or start the next one if he can get some early playing time.

He'll either be so good that he'll only stay 3 years (even if we burn his shirt) OR he'll listen to the draft experts and stay for a fourth if the timing for him to come out is not good. But I'm of the opinion that he needs to play is he's clearly our #2 guy.

#2 is 1 play away from being #1 all the time.
Problem with that is Hurts is only here for maybe 2 years... So Tua would be JR. I really would like Tua to be 3 years starter instead of 2 years... we want to build long term situation at QB for next 6 years. We just went through 3 different QB in 3 years and that's hard.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Problem with that is Hurts is only here for maybe 2 years... So Tua would be JR. I really would like Tua to be 3 years starter instead of 2 years... we want to build long term situation at QB for next 6 years. We just went through 3 different QB in 3 years and that's hard.
With our level of recruitment...especially going the route of recruiting guys who are more in the mold of dual threat...if we got 2 more years of JH (with Tua backing him up and playing some for experience) and then two years out of Tua (Jr. and SR. years), hopefully we will have recruited a couple more 5 star guys to be waiting in the wings.

I love the idea of getting a guy for 3 or 4 straight years, but it rarely works out that way.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
2017 will be the first year in a while where we have someone entering the season with starting experience if Jalen keeps his job.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I thought I had all the answers after AJM played for three straight years.

Jake Coker was waiting for a two year term (but then insert Blake Sims for one year).

Last year, I really didn't like the idea of Coker as a one year starter when I heard how good Blake Barnett was supposed to be. I thought he "might" play as a true freshman and have 4 straight years. Whose ever heard of a true freshman qb taking over a CNS coached team, right? But then JC hauls off and wins the job and wins another NC.

Surely this year I thought Blake Barnett, after a redshirt year, would win the job and then comes along Jalen Hurts.

So...what do I know about who will be the qb???:wink:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I expect one of the QB we have on the roster to play back up role... while we might see Tua/Jones redshirt to preserve their eligibility. They probably would do the same situation they did with AJ: AJ was no. 2, but was redshirted. It would be better for Tua/Jones to be redshirted anyway.
JNM, sorry but I'm a little confused with your post. With Bateman and Cornwell leaving, we now have two quarterbacks on scholarship and a third scheduled to join this summer. Who, again, do you expect to be backup vs. redshirting?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.