What Will The Offensive Line Look Like in 2017?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What will the offense line look like should be based on what the offense as a whole looks like. I know coaches want balance, but I'd like to see a greater effort put into having a core identity. I felt all year we were at least partly schizo when it came to our offensive identity.

I'll mention here that I think losing Shank hurt us maybe as much as losing Eddie and SDH. I say that because while he was a bit sluggish in pass pro, he was a very powerful run blocker whose presence was missed when we needed to become the running team that we clearly were meant to be. I don't know whatever happened to him but I hope he's okay.

If all goes well we have the potential for an all time great running game next year. There's no reason with our deep and mature group of potential o linemen and likewise the deep and mature group of running backs (plus N Harris) we won't be extremely effective.

Here's to hoping that the off-season is good to Jalen.
I think it was concussion issues with Shank. I don't think he could ever clear the protocol. Coach actually expressed some doubt about his coming back several games before the season's end...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
What will the offense line look like should be based on what the offense as a whole looks like. I know coaches want balance, but I'd like to see a greater effort put into having a core identity. I felt all year we were at least partly schizo when it came to our offensive identity.

I'll mention here that I think losing Shank hurt us maybe as much as losing Eddie and SDH. I say that because while he was a bit sluggish in pass pro, he was a very powerful run blocker whose presence was missed when we needed to become the running team that we clearly were meant to be. I don't know whatever happened to him but I hope he's okay.

If all goes well we have the potential for an all time great running game next year. There's no reason with our deep and mature group of potential o linemen and likewise the deep and mature group of running backs (plus N Harris) we won't be extremely effective.

Here's to hoping that the off-season is good to Jalen.
Shank had serious limitations in our blocking schemes for the run game also. He was effective if blocking the guy right in front of him in a drive block - i.e. we were running the ball right behind him and the D was in a 4 man front with Shanks man right on him. If he had to scoop and/or combo block and get to the second level, we had issues. Even in 2015 I remember seeing a lot of plays where Jackson would block his man to the inside for shank to get over and combo before jackson would release to the LBs and Shank very frequently couldn't get where he needed to be in time and the defender would get through. The same slow feet that limited him in pass pro also limited him here. We ask our guys to do that a LOT, for outside runs and also any runs to the other side of the line. That's why the staff told him he had to lose a ton of weight to try to help him improve foot speed and he lost his starting job in the fall.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Shank had serious limitations in our blocking schemes for the run game also. He was effective if blocking the guy right in front of him in a drive block - i.e. we were running the ball right behind him and the D was in a 4 man front with Shanks man right on him. If he had to scoop and/or combo block and get to the second level, we had issues. Even in 2015 I remember seeing a lot of plays where Jackson would block his man to the inside for shank to get over and combo before jackson would release to the LBs and Shank very frequently couldn't get where he needed to be in time and the defender would get through. The same slow feet that limited him in pass pro also limited him here. We ask our guys to do that a LOT, for outside runs and also any runs to the other side of the line. That's why the staff told him he had to lose a ton of weight to try to help him improve foot speed and he lost his starting job in the fall.
Yep, Shank had some limitations for sure, but he also had recaptured his starting position (which must count for something) and he had a lot more experience. RG became a bit of a revolving door and it may have been a problem as much from inexperience as from lack of physical talent.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I look at leatherwood getting a big look at right tackle. he has It all, great wing span, not a lot of body fat, good speed. being a big redskin fan, I would not be surprised to see pettibon at right guard. his grandfather was a great safety for the skins, had a real nasty streak play like a linebacker. big safety.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
I think Leatherwood will start at RT.
Wouldn't be surprised if Baker isn't another JC OL bust.
Hope Womack or Warmack surprises.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Not to throw a wrench in the spokes but what if, just for arguments sake, Tua wins the QB spot? He's a lefty. What if he ends up being the better passer of the two? Would that scenario change the alignment?
Not an O line expert, but I`d think Jonah would stay at RT in that scenario (?).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.