What Will The Offensive Line Look Like in 2017?

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
Gallatin, Tennessee, United States
Assuming Cam is gone, I'd say Jonah moves to LT, Pierschbacher will stay at LG, Bozeman should stay at C. Does Cotton get a shot at RT, which seems like a more natural fit for him, or does Womack get a shot there? RG was a revolving door this season. With Kirven and Shank gone, who steps in there?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Don't forget JUCO signee Elliott Baker for one of the tackle spots.

Scott Lashley might be another name to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Based on how things usually go in the past, I expect the JUCO signee is gonna get a look at RT. They didn't bring him in to sit when they could've brought in one more high schooler to develop within the program instead. Saban has directly stated that Cotton at RG didn't work out because he's more of natural tackle. Some people can make the transition, he couldn't. So if I had to guess the battle will be Baker v. Cotton...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
True freshman Alex Leatherwood looks like he could line up and play right now. Don't know how developed his game is, but he's filled out nicely.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Based on how things usually go in the past, I expect the JUCO signee is gonna get a look at RT. They didn't bring him in to sit when they could've brought in one more high schooler to develop within the program instead. Saban has directly stated that Cotton at RG didn't work out because he's more of natural tackle. Some people can make the transition, he couldn't. So if I had to guess the battle will be Baker v. Cotton...

This seems like the most likely way the OT situation will play out.

RG seems like anyone's guess right now. maybe Casher? He got mop up duty late in the season. Would love to see Warmack develop like his brother did! Also seems like Hassenauer was getting a first team look at OC in spring so maybe he's suited to move over also.

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
Good news is that if Robinson leaves we won't have is 5 yard penalties anymore to screw us over in short yardage.

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
Gallatin, Tennessee, United States
Applying Jess' depth chart for the Clemson game to next year, I get this possible OL:

LT: Jonah Williams
LG: Ross Pierschbacher
C: Bradley Bozeman
RG: Brandon Kennedy
RT: Lester Cotton or Elliott Baker (JUCO)
Returning 3 or 4 OL starters(since Cotton started several games at RG), is a great foundation for the 2017 offense. It looks like the left side will once again be the strong side. With most of the skill guys returning, if Jalen can make strides with his deep ball, this offense has the potential to be very good.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
LT false starts are a Bama tradition :D
You know I am just wondering if Cam false start a lot because of the count. Seems like Hurts claps then the snap comes just after the clap. Maybe the timing just isn't right sometimes and he generally has a pretty quick pass rusher on him so he needs to get set quick. I am just trying to help him out in these discussions.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
You know I am just wondering if Cam false start a lot because of the count. Seems like Hurts claps then the snap comes just after the clap. Maybe the timing just isn't right sometimes and he generally has a pretty quick pass rusher on him so he needs to get set quick. I am just trying to help him out in these discussions.
The delay is intended & its length is communicated pre-snap. It does put a bit more responsibility on the O line to be in sync and count at the same speed as the center.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Returning 3 or 4 OL starters(since Cotton started several games at RG), is a great foundation for the 2017 offense. It looks like the left side will once again be the strong side. With most of the skill guys returning, if Jalen can make strides with his deep ball, this offense has the potential to be very good.
What will the offense line look like should be based on what the offense as a whole looks like. I know coaches want balance, but I'd like to see a greater effort put into having a core identity. I felt all year we were at least partly schizo when it came to our offensive identity.

I'll mention here that I think losing Shank hurt us maybe as much as losing Eddie and SDH. I say that because while he was a bit sluggish in pass pro, he was a very powerful run blocker whose presence was missed when we needed to become the running team that we clearly were meant to be. I don't know whatever happened to him but I hope he's okay.

If all goes well we have the potential for an all time great running game next year. There's no reason with our deep and mature group of potential o linemen and likewise the deep and mature group of running backs (plus N Harris) we won't be extremely effective.

Here's to hoping that the off-season is good to Jalen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.