Will Bama ever have a first round pick at QB?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Hurts is off to a dang good start..What Hurts did as a TF is mind blowing & if our coaches biulds off his early success coaching him up improving his passing game while he's at Bama..Hurts will be a 1st round NFL Pick when he leaves Bama..

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I'm not down on Hurts and that wasn't my intention when creating this thread. But, specific to this thread, this season Hurts wasn't a good college QB and no chance at the next level. Can he change that? Sure. I hope to see a different player next fall. I would have more confidence in that if we would have seen any type of growth throughout the season.
"...wasn't a good college QB..." ?

C'mon man. He set the Bama record for TD responsibility, he was the SEC player of the year, Bama had a prolific offense most of the year, any time Bama was threatened he answered spectacularly (OM, A&M, Clem). Was he a polished passer or a sure fire NFL pick ? No, but he was a very good college QB. I'm amazed at the conclusions of some. He was mentioned on the national stage as a Heisman candidate for several weeks. Was it deserved ? Probably not, but to say he was "not a good college QB" is stunning. Even in the NC game his throwing was not as bad as most make it out to be - he had 5 drops, which would have made his stat line 18-31~200 yards. He also had 4 knocked down at the LOS, though some of that is on him.

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
People seem to be really down on Hurts after a struggle against the four best defenses he faced (LSU, Florida, Washington, and Clemson) to finish the season. I'm still confident that he's going to become an absolute force to be reckoned with next year. He doesn't seem like some of those LSU QBs who will never get better than they were in year 1...he is gonna go to work and improve his game.
If I'm correct he stayed over the summer and worked last year. I'll bet he does it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Tuscaloosa: Where dual threat quarterbacks go do die. We have and a couple in the past who have not turned out to be passers. If we can ever get a dual threat QB who actually can to both at a high level then we can do it.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
"...wasn't a good college QB..." ?

C'mon man. He set the Bama record for TD responsibility, he was the SEC player of the year, Bama had a prolific offense most of the year, any time Bama was threatened he answered spectacularly (OM, A&M, Clem). Was he a polished passer or a sure fire NFL pick ? No, but he was a very good college QB. I'm amazed at the conclusions of some. He was mentioned on the national stage as a Heisman candidate for several weeks. Was it deserved ? Probably not, but to say he was "not a good college QB" is stunning. Even in the NC game his throwing was not as bad as most make it out to be - he had 5 drops, which would have made his stat line 18-31~200 yards. He also had 4 knocked down at the LOS, though some of that is on him.
You are correct, I should have said good passing college qb. I'll correct my response. I watched the same season you did and I know what we have in Hurts. The guy is a baller that led us to a 14-1 season as a true freshman. But the stats you mention are misleading. Look at his stats of passes thrown 5 yards or more and you get a different picture. I hope just as much as the next guy that Hurts has a Lamar Jackson sophomore season. But, based on his progression through the season as a passer, he has a long way to go. Again, we have 9 years of QBs to look at, I never meant for this to be solely about Jalen

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Hurts next step is to complete throws to receivers who are single covered. This season he only threw the ball to receivers who had beaten their man but next season we won't get to atlanta with a similar concept. Good QB's can use ball placement to complete passes. He is just not there yet.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
JH succeeded on his incredible athletic ability...but teams eventually caught up with him. Sometimes great athletes never learn the necessary skills and details of playing QB until they are forced to do so. Some never do...reading defenses pre-snap...post snap...throwing a receiver open...looking off a safety, etc., are learned skills. With LK calling all the plays from the sidelines, he did not have to learn several of these. I hope SS makes him do so....

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Looking at some of the first round picks the last few years AJ should have been.
I still think AJ can be an NFL starter and a fine one at that. He's in a tough spot. Cincy hasn't given up on Dalton but they won't let AJ go to another team yet either because they know he can play. Just look at his small sample of stats:

79 of 119 66.4% 854 yrds 6TD's 2 INT's 97.1 Rating

I still think if we don't lose that 'kick 6' game and beat Mizzou that AJ wins the Heisman over crablegs. I still think he's the best QB we've had in the modern era by a wide margin. Not saying he will have the same level career but he's basically playing the role of Steve Young right now having to watch Montana......not that Dalton is Montana but you get what I mean.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tuscaloosa: Where dual threat quarterbacks go do die. We have and a couple in the past who have not turned out to be passers. If we can ever get a dual threat QB who actually can to both at a high level then we can do it.
We have? Like who? Star Jackson? Who else?

I still think AJ can be an NFL starter and a fine one at that. He's in a tough spot. Cincy hasn't given up on Dalton but they won't let AJ go to another team yet either because they know he can play. Just look at his small sample of stats:

I still think if we don't lose that 'kick 6' game and beat Mizzou that AJ wins the Heisman over crablegs. I still think he's the best QB we've had in the modern era by a wide margin. Not saying he will have the same level career but he's basically playing the role of Steve Young right now having to watch Montana......not that Dalton is Montana but you get what I mean.
Heck, he wins the Heisman in 2012 if we beat TAMU. Would have been him or Manti because JFF won it by beating Alabama.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA

To make that even a bit more impressive - one of those limited games was a start at Denver last year when they were a Super Bowl team and easily the best defense in the NFL. AJ is going to do fine in the NFL once he gets a shot, and that will be coming sooner rather than later.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Lots of Cincy fans are calling for AJ to start over Dalton.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
maybe I'm reading too much into some of the posts here, but why are people questioning so much a true freshman who led us to the national title game because he can't throw the ball like a 5th year Heisman trophy candidate?
I mean, good grief, one of the best long ball passers in Bama history took like 11 years and 29 position changes to win the job after working with a passing coach.
hurts was totally amazing this season all things considered and despite his shortcomings, put us 2 minutes from another national title.
give him a break already.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
maybe I'm reading too much into some of the posts here, but why are people questioning so much a true freshman who led us to the national title game because he can't throw the ball like a 5th year Heisman trophy candidate?
I mean, good grief, one of the best long ball passers in Bama history took like 11 years and 29 position changes to win the job after working with a passing coach.
hurts was totally amazing this season all things considered and despite his shortcomings, put us 2 minutes from another national title.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I'm sure CNS is quite happy with the overall outcome of this season and will no doubt allow himself and the rest of the team to rest on their laurels w/out attempting to correct any deficiencies anyone might have noted. This should ensure we have a great chance for a successful season this coming year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Most freshman QBs never see the field in a competitive game in their first year on campus. Just the fact that Hurts not only played but started 14 of 15 games says a ton about his ability.

I think his overall development is probably ahead of schedule at this point and frankly, I am glad that we got to protect him somewhat this season with a fantastic defense. I think he will improve tremendously with a full off season as the starter. He will have even more cache as a leader during off season drills. Tua will come in and push him, so complacency won't be an issue (I don't think it would be anyway).

He's got good size and great durability/strength, so in that regard he will be NFL ready. If he continues to develop, I believe by the end of his junior season he will be a top 10 NFL pick.

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
While I'm guessing it Blake Sims who had Amari Cooper. Not diminishing what Sims did.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
While I'm guessing it Blake Sims who had Amari Cooper. Not diminishing what Sims did.

yes, blake sims...who played almost every position except for punter and kicker and who took 5 years to develop into a tremendous deep ball thrower but who didn't make it in the pros.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I don't think any of us question his talent or tenaciousness or hard work. What scares us is the lack of progression the last 1/3 of the season -- and whether that was a freshman running into a wall or an indicator that the top of the mountain has been reached. Time will tell...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.