Will Bama ever have a first round pick at QB?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I don't think any of us question his talent or tenaciousness or hard work. What scares us is the lack of progression the last 1/3 of the season -- and whether that was a freshman running into a wall or an indicator that the top of the mountain has been reached. Time will tell...
It looks to me like conservative coaching afraid to fully trust a freshman QB.

With our dominant defense, it's a very sensible strategy, and was good for 14 wins, which was more than we probably should have expected prior to the season. Unfortunately, Clemson was able to exploit it.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I don't think any of us question his talent or tenaciousness or hard work. What scares us is the lack of progression the last 1/3 of the season -- and whether that was a freshman running into a wall or an indicator that the top of the mountain has been reached. Time will tell...
in what realm does anyone look at an 18 year old's shortcomings and assume that he or she has maxed out their potential?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I can't help but think him facing four of the top 12 defenses in the nation over the last seven games of the year having something to do with it.

Plus, the issues with Kiffin had to play a part. There have been a few comments that indicate his dad wasn't too pleased with his overall progression and development as the season ended, too.

This doesn't seem to be as simple as some want to act. Plus, he's an 18 year old kid, so he's yet to reach his potential.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Most superstar QBs are not first round picks anyway.

I can name more busts than you can name first-round awesome QB picks. For every Terry Bradshaw/Peyton Manning/John Elway I can 2-3 Ryan Leafs, Tim Couches, or Matt Leinarts.

Drew Bledsoe was a number one overall; Tom Brady was something like sixth round. Drew was ok - but his pick is going to look worse down the line because he wasn't Brady.

Joe Montana was third round. Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted. Jim Plunkett won a Heisman then traveled an insane route to fame after being rejected by every single team in the NFL. Brett Favre was a second round pick who got traded. Dan Marino - yes, he was first round - but he was the last QB in that great 'class of 83' bunch.

I don't think it really matters. What we need at Alabama is a guy with the running ability of Blake Sims and the passing ability of AJ McCarron all in one package.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
obviously he is/was a great player when he needed to be, but dw through a part of this last season could have lead to a loss(es) somewhere with 17 picks against our schedule
no doubt...but then again, our defense also got exposed at times...most notably in the two biggest games of the last two seasons.

and it's not too hard to connect the dots that arguably the two worst defensive performances of the last two years came against the same guy and the same team.

Clemson is a heck of a football team, with a heck of a coach and a fantastic quarterback when the chips are down.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Most superstar QBs are not first round picks anyway.

I can name more busts than you can name first-round awesome QB picks. For every Terry Bradshaw/Peyton Manning/John Elway I can 2-3 Ryan Leafs, Tim Couches, or Matt Leinarts.

Drew Bledsoe was a number one overall; Tom Brady was something like sixth round. Drew was ok - but his pick is going to look worse down the line because he wasn't Brady.

Joe Montana was third round. Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted. Jim Plunkett won a Heisman then traveled an insane route to fame after being rejected by every single team in the NFL. Brett Favre was a second round pick who got traded. Dan Marino - yes, he was first round - but he was the last QB in that great 'class of 83' bunch.

I don't think it really matters. What we need at Alabama is a guy with the running ability of Blake Sims and the passing ability of AJ McCarron all in one package.
Brady was pick 199 and 7th qb taken. Pennington, carmazzi, redman, bulger, tee Martin, and wynn were taken before Brady. 5 things led to him dropping so low, and 2 are big reasons that bama qbs don't get 1st round love

1) Carr played the "who is the qb" game in 1999 after Brady

2) bad combine

3) he wasn't unique

4) he wasn't showcased at Michigan. Bama qbs share this problem as well with the emphasis on running game and dominant defenses

5) the talent around Michigan gave the impression that anyone with a shred of skills could've done the same. Look at the knocks on AJ

Had Brady went to anyone else he probably would've been more of what AJ is now, but CBB has that Jimmy Johnson eye for draft picks that was going to actually give Brady a realistic shot at some point even if things didn't play out like they did

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Brady was pick 199 and 7th qb taken. Pennington, carmazzi, redman, bulger, tee Martin, and wynn were taken before Brady. 5 things led to him dropping so low, and 2 are big reasons that bama qbs don't get 1st round love

1) Carr played the "who is the qb" game in 1999 after Brady

2) bad combine

3) he wasn't unique

4) he wasn't showcased at Michigan. Bama qbs share this problem as well with the emphasis on running game and dominant defenses

5) the talent around Michigan gave the impression that anyone with a shred of skills could've done the same. Look at the knocks on AJ

Had Brady went to anyone else he probably would've been more of what AJ is now, but CBB has that Jimmy Johnson eye for draft picks that was going to actually give Brady a realistic shot at some point even if things didn't play out like they did
Belichick had a funny response in the ESPN piece about Brady when asked his thoughts on how so many other teams missed on Brady...he said something to the effect that he and NE also missed on Brady because if they thought he would be half the player he is they wouldn't have waited 5 rounds to take him.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
in what realm does anyone look at an 18 year old's shortcomings and assume that he or she has maxed out their potential?
Potential is a scary word...people develop at different stages. Years ago (a couple of decades) UK had a player who was already in the basketball Hall of Fame for his high school achievements. He never progressed and was somewhat of a disappointment as a collegiate player. I have seen it time and again...JH may be as good as he ever gets. I don't think so and don't hope so...but that is a possibility.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Belichick had a funny response in the ESPN piece about Brady when asked his thoughts on how so many other teams missed on Brady...he said something to the effect that he and NE also missed on Brady because if they thought he would be half the player he is they wouldn't have waited 5 rounds to take him.

That's his way of saying "We completely lucked out". They had zero clue Brady would turn into what he has. There are GM's out there (specifically Ron Wolfe) who believe you take a quarterback in EVERY draft. Whether you need one or not. You do the best evaluation you can on them but it is basically like buying a powerball ticket. You can't win if you don't play. Belichick and the Patriots had their ticket hit.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Potential is a scary word...people develop at different stages. Years ago (a couple of decades) UK had a player who was already in the basketball Hall of Fame for his high school achievements. He never progressed and was somewhat of a disappointment as a collegiate player. I have seen it time and again...JH may be as good as he ever gets. I don't think so and don't hope so...but that is a possibility.
it's far more likely that he has not hit his full potential so why even bother suggesting it?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The game has changed so much, but, should we ever go back to a pro style offense, we'll never have another Namath nor Stabler. They both could pass far far better than any QB we've had in 40 years.
Not even close.
Those two were also our highest ever draft picks as QB's, and Namath was the very first pick in the draft.
So.."YEAH"..Bama will have a first round pick at QB...it's already happened.
Will it happen again? I doubt it very seriously.
The game has changed so very very much.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Will Saban ever have a first round pick at QB while at Bama?

Anybody who blames Jalen for the loss should be ashamed. That's ridiculous. What he did was unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% agreed. Anybody who blames Jalen is a complete idiot in my opinion, and should be ashamed to call themselves a Tide fan.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.