Will Bama ever have a first round pick at QB?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: Will Saban ever have a first round pick at QB while at Bama?

That's about as good a summation as it gets on AJ! He was so undervalued and, in his trying to correct it, he distorted himself to look as it he thought he was better than he was.

If AJ would have played in a pass happy offense he would have probably won the Heisman and drafted near the top in the first round. I think AJ was vastly under-appreciated while quarterbacking Bama to two of her greatest championship years ever in '11 and '12.
The thing I loved about having AJ was he provided us an excellence balance to the power running game we had that year. He could legitimately eat you alive in the passing game. The aTm game in college station (Manziel vs Saban 2) was one of my favorite "AJ" games. 20-29, 334 yards 4 TD's. Complimented by Yeldon's 25 carries 149 yds 1 TD. I still consider AJ one of the greatest Alabama qb's. He was more than just a "game manager" in my book.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

The aTm game in college station (Manziel vs Saban 2) was one of my favorite "AJ" games. 20-29, 334 yards 4 TD's. Complimented by Yeldon's 25 carries 149 yds 1 TD.
AHH, the good ole days. :)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If we would have had an ounce of that balance January 9th we would be national champions.
Yes...the game would have likely been a blowout in the first half...Clemson would have panicked and they would have fallen to pieces before they ever found their stride in the 3rd quarter.

As I said in the Falcons/Packers thread about the Atlanta offense...I miss this beautiful balance!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Yes...the game would have likely been a blowout in the first half...Clemson would have panicked and they would have fallen to pieces before they ever found their stride in the 3rd quarter.

As I said in the Falcons/Packers thread about the Atlanta offense...I miss this beautiful balance!
I am confident with Jalen now having a full SEC season under his belt, Sark in full control of the offense and a full off season to critique and work on mechanics. We will see a more balanced Alabama offense in 2017. Except this addition will still be able to burn you with the mobility of the QB. The immediate future is very, very bright for the Crimson Tide.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I am confident with Jalen now having a full SEC season under his belt, Sark in full control of the offense and a full off season to critique and work on mechanics. We will see a more balanced Alabama offense in 2017. Except this addition will still be able to burn you with the mobility of the QB. The immediate future is very, very bright for the Crimson Tide.
IF (fingers crossed) JH develops into just a decent passer, with the compliment of his running ability AND our Running Back talent in the backfield...THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE IS VERY, VERY BRIGHT...

The "IF" is the rub...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I'm referring to legit first rounders who get drafted, win the job, and start for many years.
Of course there have been many busts, as you mentioned two of the biggest.
I think AJ was an outstanding college Quarterback and will end up starting somewhere in the NFL.
But yes, his attitude knocked him down a bit. The primary reason he didn't go rounds one or two though was a perceived notion that he didn't have a cannon on his right shoulder. Good arm..not great one.
Exactly. AJ does not have a canon but he has enough to start in the NFL. But this notion that he gets no credit is grossly overstated - he was the Heisman runner-up. IMO, his mouth was a bit of a problem before his draft comments. He was almost a loose canon; I kept waiting for a bombshell to explode, but to his and Saban's credit it never quite happened. He said some untoward things like publicly blaming teammates for not buying-in in 2013, but for the most part he restrained himself.

He was a great college QB and was more clutch than many realize. I'm grateful for how he performed at Alabama. He did have a great deal of talent around him, but he made a lot of big time throws. And he's physically and especially mentally tough. It appears he could have a very good career in the NFL in the right situation. If he could land in a Belichik/NE type situation he could have great success, he could win SBs plural. Unfortunately there are not many of those.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I think it would have SIGNIFICANTLY increased his chances of going in the first round or early second round if he wouldn't have been given the rubber stamped typecast designation of "system quarterback"/"game manager" while in college. I have no doubt that played a big role right off the bat. AJ wasn't given credit for ANYTHING Alabama accomplished in the way of all the winning and NC's. The media narrative was basically they could go pick any intramural quarterback on campus, stick him behind center and accomplish the same thing AJ did. Then add to that him trying to disprove this narrative so bad to the NFL teams, that he overloaded his mouth and it cost him.
That is what I really dont understand about his approach during the draft and signing period. It became obvious pretty quick his not playing in the Senior Bowl, I cant remember but I dont know that he threw in the combine, was covering for a shoulder injury as evidenced by the fact he was even on the active roster for the Browns his first year. It was no secret he needed surgery so I am sure that made him less of a priority in the draft. I just dont understand the approach and his agent even letting him do it in the first place. Based on his limited media contact since being drafted he seems more humble and supportive of the team and Dalton as he should be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.