Will Bama ever have a first round pick at QB?

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
Will Saban ever have a first round pick at QB while at Bama?

Over the past 10 seasons, Saban has stockpiled talent at the capstone like never seen in the history of the sport. We’ve had 9 seasons of top 10 classes with most being top 3 and several number 1. For all the talent he has brought in, Saban has not hit a home run at the QB position yet. I’m talking about a top 5 draft pick that is a starter in the NFL. Saban’s best QB was a four star recruit who has spent his NFL career as a backup. Behind him there isn’t one guy in the NFL. Now, I realize what we’ve accomplished with the guys we’ve had. We’re winning at a historic level. I’m just trying to figure out how we’ve missed on the top talent at this position. Is this perhaps our weakest point of evaluation at the high school level? Or could it be our weakest point of development once they’re on campus. It’s strange that one of the greatest coaches of all time hasn't produced a big time QB. Can you imagine our offense this year with a QB like Andrew Luck or Watson. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
part of it has to do with our scheme during the early Saban years. We were a heavy run team and passing QB's werent interested. Fast foward to now, we are more QB friendly with the offense and WR's so we have been finally getting good QB prospects. Who knows when one of them develops into a 1st round player. Barnett IMO would have had the best shot but of course he didnt stay the course.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Last edited:

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Maintaining a run first offensive philosophy over the years is, I think, the primary reason we've not been known as QB University. In my life as a fan, Bart Starr, Joe Namath, K. Stabler and Richard Todd (to some extent) are the only QBs of ours that did anything much in the pros. I'm not sure I see any currently on the horizon that will be the next one to succeed in the NFL. However, I'd would love to see us come up with another guy to make it as a pro.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Tua's a great passer, Jalen's by far the better athlete. Tua's 6'1" 185'...Jalen's 6'2" 210, and Jalen's faster.
Tua played high school ball against Hawaii competition. Jalen played against Texas competition.

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
Tua's a great passer, Jalen's by far the better athlete. Tua's 6'1" 185'...Jalen's 6'2" 210, and Jalen's faster.
Tua played high school ball against Hawaii competition. Jalen played against Texas competition.
I think it's best to have Hurts stay the starter unless Tua comes in and kills it.
It's better to have Hurts develop than to start it all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Maintaining a run first offensive philosophy over the years is, I think, the primary reason we've not been known as QB University. In my life as a fan, Bart Starr, Joe Namath, K. Stabler and Richard Todd (to some extent) are the only QBs of ours that did anything much in the pros. I'm not sure I see any currently on the horizon that will be the next one to succeed in the NFL. However, I'd would love to see us come up with another guy to make it as a pro.
I think AJ has a shot at having some success in the NFL. Croyle was talented enough to be a decent NFL QB if his bones & knees not been as fragile as pretzel sticks.

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
I think AJ has a shot at having some success in the NFL. Croyle was talented enough to be a decent NFL QB if his bones & knees not been as fragile as pretzel sticks.

Agreed with AJ. If I'm correct his contract is up soon but during Hey Coach there was a Bengal player who said the Bengals love Aj and know what they got In him.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks to the success of QBs like Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson, I think the crop of guys we have gong forward have a very good shot of making in the first if not the second round. If they work hard and develop the intangables.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
People seem to be really down on Hurts after a struggle against the four best defenses he faced (LSU, Florida, Washington, and Clemson) to finish the season. I'm still confident that he's going to become an absolute force to be reckoned with next year. He doesn't seem like some of those LSU QBs who will never get better than they were in year 1...he is gonna go to work and improve his game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
People seem to be really down on Hurts after a struggle against the four best defenses he faced (LSU, Florida, Washington, and Clemson) to finish the season. I'm still confident that he's going to become an absolute force to be reckoned with next year. He doesn't seem like some of those LSU QBs who will never get better than they were in year 1...he is gonna go to work and improve his game.
The hope I have for JH is when I've watched his HS tapes he seems to be able to hit some down the field passes in stride. Long ones, medium ones...just about everything. Seems real acurate in those too. Of course, I know these tapes are ONLY their best throws but there a big enough sample to feel good about.

What concerned me most this year is how JH couldn't find wide open guys at times. I understand why he didn't force alot of tight throws because I'm sure CNS had drilled into head not to throw INTs. But the wide open guys is what concerns me.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
I'm not down on Hurts and that wasn't my intention when creating this thread. But, specific to this thread, this season Hurts wasn't a good college QB and no chance at the next level. Can he change that? Sure. I hope to see a different player next fall. I would have more confidence in that if we would have seen any type of growth throughout the season.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
One more quick point, neither Jalen nor Tau has the typical size you see at the next level. That doesn't mean they can't get it done, but it would be a knock against them when measurements came up at the combine. Both are probably a 1/2 inch to an inch shorter than currently listed. And I wondered several times throughout the season if Jalen has tiny "burger king" hands. All of those measurements will be scrutinized by NFL scouts

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.