Pacific Pro Football for kids coming out of high school

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Some would describe college football that way too. We have to be careful about this.

Truthfully, I don't think this takes off, but it may make the NCAA make changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
Just curious...what sorts of changes could you foresee? A cash stipend, maybe?

I'd like to see that, too. But say it's $500 a month for a nine-month school year. That works out to a little under $400k a year for an 85-scholarship football program.

It also raises the question of how to handle stipends for football vs. other revenue sports vs. Olympic sports that generate little or no revenue.

For a school that has an 85-scholarship football program and is compliant with Title IX, it would push $1 million a year.

Not a huge problem for us, but almost nobody outside the Power 5 could afford it, and a lot of the lower-tier Power 5 would choke.

The current restriction to being three years out of high school is an NFL rule, specifically negotiated in the labor agreement with the NFLPA. Point being, the NCAA has no control over it. So I don't think it'll affect eligibility to go pro.

Last edited:

jdua

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2006
No idea how it makes money, but some players would choose this simply because they have no desire to attend college.
I think this is a great and realistic idea. There are too many players who have no interest in college but have no other viable pathway to the NFL. It also puts colleges in the position of putting together wink-and-nod type programs to keep players eligible. If it dilutes the college talent pool, so be it. I'm still going to be an Alabama fan, regardless of the talent level. The NFL should fund this and set it up however they want it. I think, if successful, this could be a real improvement.

Just curious...what sorts of changes could you foresee? A cash stipend, maybe?

I'd like to see that, too. But say it's $500 a month for a nine-month school year. That works out to a little under $400k a year for an 85-scholarship football program.

It also raises the question of how to handle stipends for football vs. other revenue sports vs. Olympic sports that generate little or no revenue.

For a school that has an 85-scholarship football program and is compliant with Title IX, it would push $1 million a year.

Not a huge problem for us, but almost nobody outside the Power 5 could afford it, and a lot of the lower-tier Power 5 would choke.

The current restriction to being three years out of high school is an NFL rule, specifically negotiated in the labor agreement with the NFLPA. Point being, the NCAA has no control over it. So I don't think it'll affect eligibility to go pro.
Stipends for players would get way higher. If you start taking and incentivizing player from a cash cow you have to take measures that not only get the players back but keep them. It's just really the money I see. They can scream Title IX all they want, but when football and basketball are taken away, funding other sports especially those played by women they historically lose money become non existent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Some kids are not cut out for college. I don't have a problem with this; it would probably get some of the true malcontents out of the college society. Maybe a few will make it to the NFL just like a few go through the baseball farm teams to success.

A more than "just a few" go to A ball, and skip college. The trick is making it to Double-A.

Of course, every MLB team has a farm system. Four levels, so it is more than just a few players, for each team to groom, and pay a salary. No reason the NFL could develop its own farm system. It has the revenue. All it needs is the desire and the smarts to make it work.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
A more than "just a few" go to A ball, and skip college. The trick is making it to Double-A.

Of course, every MLB team has a farm system. Four levels, so it is more than just a few players, for each team to groom, and pay a salary. No reason the NFL could develop its own farm system. It has the revenue. All it needs is the desire and the smarts to make it work.
There's actually a lot of reasons that the NFL wouldn't do that. Pro football teams have struggled for a reason, and a big part of that is they require more revenue. To give an example, the NFL Europe actually had some good attendance figures, all things considered. They year they shut down the NFL Europe (Europa) they actually hit a high water mark for attendance. 20,000 per game, which for a lower level league anything is quite respectable. That's well in excess of the average Triple A attendance, heck it's ahead of MLS, NBA, and NHL average attendance. But it was shut down in part because it was a drain on resources. I should point out that the number of games is a factor to, despite good fan enthusiasm, the fact that they have far less games means a lot less revenue opportunities.

Football teams are way more expensive to run than baseball teams. I worked at a minor league ballpark, they can get by on a lot less than a full football team can get by on. Anyway, the NFL had that already, they had the NFL Europe and it had fan support (oddly enough there are still cheerleaders for some of those teams that don't exist anymore, that still make public appearances). The NFL wasn't so big on it, and I can assure you if they did the same things in the states the interest would actually be lower (it would lack the hype the leagues usually get as it would start out with the understanding it was in no way a competitor)...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
That depends if you want to pawn it off as pro football, or cheap family entertainment.

Not sure the comparison to the Europe thingie is valid. How many players wanted to go there? Or, once there, where ecstatic to continue to stay? Couldn't pay me enough to go there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.