Pacific Pro Football for kids coming out of high school

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
"Total compensation is about $50,000 per season."

Yeah, that ain't much. The total package at a major university, with the stipend might very well come out ahead. The resources available to players in total certainly will. Seems to me this would be the place for guys that got kicked out of school, couldn't qualify academically, got suspended by the NCAA, etc.. the problem is fans still won't watch. I don't see how this survives unless it is propped up by the NFL, like they did with NFL Europe until they got bored with it.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Yeah, that ain't much. The total package at a major university, with the stipend might very well come out ahead. The resources available to players in total certainly will. Seems to me this would be the place for guys that got kicked out of school, couldn't qualify academically, got suspended by the NCAA, etc.. the problem is fans still won't watch. I don't see how this survives unless it is propped up by the NFL, like they did with NFL Europe until they got bored with it.
My guess is the agents will keep it propped up if they think they can find a diamond or two every season to represent and offset their expenses.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
One fact that most who talk about college players being shortchanged forget, is that no one cares about watching them play other than the fact they have Alabama or ND or USC or even Vandy on their jersey. I couldn't care less about watching or reading about or listening about Jalen Hurts, Ardarius Srewart, Jonah Williams, OJ Howard, Joe Namth, Don Hutson or anyone else except the fact that they wear or wore Bama on their chest. I would rather watch D2 talent at Bama than NFL level talent with "Birmingham Bullets" on their chest. The NBA Developmental League teams would probably beat most if not all NCCA teams, but who cares (I assume they still exist) ? They don't have UK, NC or even Bama on their jersey.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Oh, it would easily. Even the non academic value of a current NCAA D1 program would be much more than 50k. Sometime back I did a calculation that concluded that each player in Bama's program got approx 200k per year in benefits such as football training, nutrition, life training, tuition, books, academic support, etc. My numbers were crude and debatable, but they were likely in the ball park. Whatever the real number is, any reasonable person would agree that it's more than 50k, even in non-academic benefits. That's not counting the incalculable intangible benefits of playing major college football.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
One fact that most who talk about college players being shortchanged forget, is that no one cares about watching them play other than the fact they have Alabama or ND or USC or even Vandy on their jersey. I couldn't care less about watching or reading about or listening about Jalen Hurts, Ardarius Srewart, Jonah Williams, OJ Howard, Joe Namth, Don Hutson or anyone else except the fact that they wear or wore Bama on their chest. I would rather watch D2 talent at Bama than NFL level talent with "Birmingham Bullets" on their chest. The NBA Developmental League teams would probably beat most if not all NCCA teams, but who cares (I assume they still exist) ? They don't have UK, NC or even Bama on their jersey.
Oh, it would easily. Even the non academic value of a current NCAA D1 program would be much more than 50k. Sometime back I did a calculation that concluded that each player in Bama's program got approx 200k per year in benefits such as football training, nutrition, life training, tuition, books, academic support, etc. My numbers were crude and debatable, but they were likely in the ball park. Whatever the real number is, any reasonable person would agree that it's more than 50k, even in non-academic benefits. That's not counting the incalculable intangible benefits of playing major college football.
I agree. I've always thought the benefits these kids receive are more than fair, they are incredible. So when people start with the "players should be paid" stuff, I've always said that I wished the NFL would start a minor league system for kids who don't want the benefits of attending an institute of higher learning. I would love for the term student-athlete to be accurate again, and I will watch Alabama play whether the guys playing are 1 stars or 5 stars, and I won't give a rip about pro ball. I really wish the NFL and some major TV network were behind this league because it will probably fail otherwise.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No idea how it makes money, but some players would choose this simply because they have no desire to attend college.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A four team league with 50 players each making $50,000 has $10 million in base salary.

Then they have to pay coaches, buy equipment, rent facilities and other basic business expenses. I really don't see huge crowds turning out to watch this. I suspect they'll have everything in one central location to save on travel and probably play at some small stadium.

ESPN or someone may pick it up just to fill air space but I would have no interest in watching.

Unless the NFL funds this I don't see it going very far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
As others have pointed out, the main question is where the money comes from.

$10 million annual salary for players, plus front office, plus venues, plus coaches, uniforms, equipment, plus, plus, plus. Per year.

No way the gate makes this work. Has to have television of some sort. Which has, in turn, to be supported by advertisers, which has in turn to be supported by eyeballs on screens of whatever description. Which I don't think will happen.

Take a look at the top 250 high school recruits of 2011. You'll recognize several names. But the overwhelming majority will be totally unfamiliar.

Point being even if 100% of the whole league's roster came from the elite of the elite, it still wouldn't make for football worth watching. It's a idea that plays well in the 140-character world of today. But it'll get dope-slapped by cold reality and quckly fade.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think this would have a better chance of succeeding if these players were involved in some sort of school getting some skills if football doesnt pan out. This is the perfect opportunity to create a model to show how someone can be a professional in a sport and be a student at the same time. If they aren't interested in typical college curriculum at at least let them to be electricians or some other trade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think the article said the league would pay for their college if they were interested. I suppose they'd spring for welding classes.

I agree this would be hard to draw fans. The high school national all star games are on TV but they are one shot deals and probably mostly watched by fans of whoever they signed with. But I don't see this drawing a following over a six week season plus two playoff rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Some kids are not cut out for college. I don't have a problem with this; it would probably get some of the true malcontents out of the college society. Maybe a few will make it to the NFL just like a few go through the baseball farm teams to success.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.