Why did we run so much to the short side of the field?

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I really felt we ran plays to the left side of the field a lot this game. We also ran to the short side of the field A LOT. Any insight on why kept doing that?

My initial thought was that Jalen felt a little more comfortable throwing to the left. It just seems to me that we weren't opening up the field at all.

I am very proud of our team. RTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I really felt we ran plays to the left side of the field a lot this game. We also ran to the short side of the field A LOT. Any insight on why kept doing that?

My initial thought was that Jalen felt a little more comfortable throwing to the left. It just seems to me that we weren't opening up the field at all.

Our run blocking on the right side wasn't very consistent. I can remember running to that side only a couple of times, offhand...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

You and T-H have already noted it was to the left side. The reason is that is where Cam was. He is a devastating run blocker. Many Bama fans don't appreciate just how good he is. They mistakely think Williams is his equal. It's not close in run blocking. He will be missed far more than some realize.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
a few years ago...while Lou Holtz was at Notre Dame he was asked why they ran the option to the short side of the field so much? his reply made a little bit of sense in that if you run the option to the wide side of the field that it increase the room the option can be run to the sideline but that would also mean an offensive lineman having to hold a block longer that increases the chance of a holding call. the same can be said of the outside zone streatch play. but more than likely it's where Cam is. and like most have pointed out that the RG position has been the weak link to the Oline this season.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
If the defense you are playing against knows you are going to run to short side of the field 95% of the time then it makes their job easier except when Bo is coming their way.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
I think we ran behind Cam as well. I was more confused about Jacobs only getting two touches. One went for 13 yards. He's an electric guy and I think he could have balanced what Bo was doing before he went out. Tough for Clemson to change gears from Power to smooth as silk speed

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Coach Bryant loved to run to the narrow side. I never really understood why. I always assumed it was because the defense was cheating to the wide side.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Good question. Already great points mentioned so I prolly dont have much, but this was puzzling to me even tho I get it. I kept screaming LOL... I thought Sark did great, but when everyone knows that is the play, it's just tough to pull off dont care who you are!

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I personally like to see some sweeps/rb screens to the wide side of the field mixed in more often as well to give our playmakers more of a chance to make someone miss.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I personally like to see some sweeps/rb screens to the wide side of the field mixed in more often as well to give our playmakers more of a chance to make someone miss.

hard to tell from the camera angle, but the OL went left, and he went right with TE support and great WR blocking. The way Clemson was playing D - I think we could have had the line push left, and then Jalen behind Bo and OJ -- to the wide side, and speed should have won that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.