What's the controversy about the final play in the NC game?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I guess the problem I have with the whole thing is this: while the first one was undoubtedly and the second one was possibly, that's NOT why we lost the game, folks. I'm always sickened by this mentality, and it's not just Alabama fans - it seems to be universal across sports. Fans can always tell you the 1-2 or even up to 5 plays an official makes a mistake in the game.

I've never understood why fans give more weight to ONE mistake by an official but allow DOZENS of mistakes or bad things done by players on their own team to pass by without even mentioning. We could have missed 34 tackles in that game (speaking theoretically) where only 2 would have needed to be made to win the game....and fans will blame the referees for their team losing every single time. I guess it makes people feel good to somehow have an excuse - "well, we didn't lose but the refs hosed us."

It's about like the folks who to this day blame Scott Norwood for Buffalo losing Super Bowl XXV. His name will forever be known as 'the guy who kicked wide right.' Never mind that the Giants held the ball for nearly 41 minutes. Never mind that Mark Ingram Sr kept a drive going in the third quarter by converting a third and 13 with an incredible effort. Never mind that Andre Reed dropped seven passes because he was afraid to get hammered by the Giants secondary. No, it's a whole lot easier to blame one guy - "well, if they just had a better kicker..." It's the same thing with the whole pick play thing.

In the end, Clemson beat us fair and square and there's literally nothing to do but tip your hat to them. Yeah, we had some shortcomings but those shortcomings were there all season. Clemson took advantage of them where teams like LSU, Washington, and Florida did not.

And that's all I have to say about that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I guess the problem I have with the whole thing is this: while the first one was undoubtedly and the second one was possibly, that's NOT why we lost the game, folks. I'm always sickened by this mentality, and it's not just Alabama fans - it seems to be universal across sports. Fans can always tell you the 1-2 or even up to 5 plays an official makes a mistake in the game.

I've never understood why fans give more weight to ONE mistake by an official but allow DOZENS of mistakes or bad things done by players on their own team to pass by without even mentioning. We could have missed 34 tackles in that game (speaking theoretically) where only 2 would have needed to be made to win the game....and fans will blame the referees for their team losing every single time. I guess it makes people feel good to somehow have an excuse - "well, we didn't lose but the refs hosed us."

It's about like the folks who to this day blame Scott Norwood for Buffalo losing Super Bowl XXV. His name will forever be known as 'the guy who kicked wide right.' Never mind that the Giants held the ball for nearly 41 minutes. Never mind that Mark Ingram Sr kept a drive going in the third quarter by converting a third and 13 with an incredible effort. Never mind that Andre Reed dropped seven passes because he was afraid to get hammered by the Giants secondary. No, it's a whole lot easier to blame one guy - "well, if they just had a better kicker..." It's the same thing with the whole pick play thing.

In the end, Clemson beat us fair and square and there's literally nothing to do but tip your hat to them. Yeah, we had some shortcomings but those shortcomings were there all season. Clemson took advantage of them where teams like LSU, Washington, and Florida did not.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Again, the playerss' failures or mistakes don't excuse an official's failures.

So what we missed a tackle or two? The officials gave them 14 points on very questionable no-calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Again, the playerss' failures or mistakes don't excuse an official's failures.

So what we missed a tackle or two? The officials gave them 14 points on very questionable no-calls.

Never said one excuses the other, though.

Was the officiating in the game bad? Yes.

Is it why we lost? No.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Was the officiating in the game bad? Yes.

Is it why we lost? No.
Wrong.

We - and any other team in America, Barn included - have the right to play a back and forth game, mistakes and all, and should expect the referees to call a good game down the last play. That means no *blatant* holding, no DPI, no OPI, no roughing the qb, no hard fouls, etc. I'll stand up in Dabo's Sunday School class and call that play for the nonsense it was and we fell victim on that play to Big 12 officials who refused to call the game in the manner in which we had played for thirteen prior games. So while I'll agree that our limitations and in-game coaching and adjustments played a role in limiting our production on both sides of the ball, we were winning with 7 seconds remaining in the game and the referees refused to call a blatant violation of the rules. The fact that the rest of the coaching and referee communities are all sticking their heads in the sand to protect their own flabby backsides doesn't change that fact.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Directly say it? No

Imply it? Yep

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.