What's the controversy about the final play in the NC game?

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I picked up some rumblings on another board that Clemson did something wrong on their final scoring play the other night.

Can someone bring me up to speed? I can't seem to find out what they're referring to and I'm not exactly a rules guru.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
They ran a pick/rub play. It's run all the time in college football. It gets called some, but most of the time the offense gets away with it.

What makes the last play a little more controversial is they had already run the same play on a previous TD. But the last pick was even more egregious.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
They ran a pick/rub play. It's run all the time in college football. It gets called some, but most of the time the offense gets away with it.

What makes the last play a little more controversial is they had already run the same play on a previous TD. But the last pick was even more egregious.
I see. Thanks.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Several refs and officials have ruled the pick plays as legal after reviewing the tapes.......which I never thought that was legal all these years.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Don't know if it was discussed on another thread but I read one story that claimed before the ball was snapped Eddie Jackson thought a pick play was coming and was shouting from the sideline "Watch the pick!, Watch the pick!"

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I'm still not understanding what some people are saying was illegal. I know this was answered above, but I don't know what a pick/rub play is or why it's "iffy."
It's a play in which two receivers cross routes, with one of the receivers getting in the way of the DB trying to cover the other receiver. If you look at our winning play in OT against LSU from a few years ago, you see a legal rub play--one of our receiver gets in the DB's way, but does not initiate any contact.

In both of Clemson's plays, one receiver took a few steps and jammed his hands into the DB's chest; ie, the receiver was clearly trying to block the db to free up the other receiver, not run a pattern. That, supposedly, is illegal. ND tries to that against FSU to score the winning TD, but got (correctly) called for OPI.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The first one was probably illegal by the rules. Leggett threw his hands up super late after the job was done to make it appear like he was "making a receiving move" but he blatantly sought out a defender and turned his body into him. The GWing TD was probably legal because it appears that the defender engaged the contact and Williams just grabbed ahold then took him for a ride. Maybe offensive holding rather than offensive pass interference, but even then the throw was in the neutral zone area where offensive players can get away with a "block downfield" on the pass.

Last edited:

tidegrandpa

All-American
It's a play in which two receivers cross routes, with one of the receivers getting in the way of the DB trying to cover the other receiver. If you look at our winning play in OT against LSU from a few years ago, you see a legal rub play--one of our receiver gets in the DB's way, but does not initiate any contact.

In both of Clemson's plays, one receiver took a few steps and jammed his hands into the DB's chest; ie, the receiver was clearly trying to block the db to free up the other receiver, not run a pattern. That, supposedly, is illegal. ND tries to that against FSU to score the winning TD, but got (correctly) called for OPI.
Offensive man was engaged while ball was out, flag shoulda been too. Just fined myself $ 5.00 for whinin.

Callmeafan

Jan 10, 2017
Not picks. The receivers have every right to run their routes, without impedance to a certain point. On the first, Clemson's tight end ran a short slant and turned to receive a pass - perfectly legal.

On the second, the Alabama defender clearly makes the initial (this is key) contact with the inside receiver and drags him into the end zone. That defender should have switched to the outside receiver. If anything, that one should have been defensive pass interference or holding.

Slogood

Sep 27, 2016

Based upon the quote from an article in USA Today, Watson thought it was a pick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Not picks. The receivers have every right to run their routes, without impedance to a certain point. On the first, Clemson's tight end ran a short slant and turned to receive a pass - perfectly legal.

On the second, the Alabama defender clearly makes the initial (this is key) contact with the inside receiver and drags him into the end zone. That defender should have switched to the outside receiver. If anything, that one should have been defensive pass interference or holding.
Lol those receivers were running routes they were out there to essentially block our players. That was their assignment not try to get open for a pass

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Based upon the quote from an article in USA Today, Watson thought it was a pick!

"No one can stop it". That is because it is illegal. There is a thread out there where a couple of us compared it to the plays ND was running goal line against FSU a few years ago. Someone even posted the game video. Clearly a pick and very much against the rules.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
"No one can stop it". That is because it is illegal. There is a thread out there where a couple of us compared it to the plays ND was running goal line against FSU a few years ago. Someone even posted the game video. Clearly a pick and very much against the rules.

Hey could you provide a link to that Notre Dame play? TIA

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
The Florida State defender initiated contact on that play. As noted above, nothing to be done now, tip your hat and prepare for next year.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I thought the last play was legal - and even if it wasn't legal it was certainly never getting called at any level of football.

The first one was just so egregious though - he has his arms extended then just turns and throws his hands up like that makes everything okay.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.