What's the controversy about the final play in the NC game?

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Tony looked beat off the line in those photos. I suspect he was playing an inside slant and the outside break had him beat from the start. In that situation, the DB probably has to anticipate to have a chance. Good play for them. Watson could probably have run it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
So, when Alabama runs the play next year, what's the chances of it being called a pick and a flag thrown?
I have said many times that Saban will now ensure Sark puts a dozen different not-quite-pick plays in our playbook, and we run them until the rules change. Some of these quick crossing routes, if you break them down by those four criteria in the Reddit post and don't flag them, can only be defended about half the time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have said many times that Saban will now ensure Sark puts a dozen different not-quite-pick plays in our playbook, and we run them until the rules change. Some of these quick crossing routes, if you break them down by those four criteria in the Reddit post and don't flag them, can only be defended about half the time.
You have to have a QB who can deliver the ball with confidence (his and the staff's) over the middle. We didn't have that this year...

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Starting around the middle of the season, I don't know if I've ever seen such an ineffective passing game as Bama had. Maybe LSU :)? It caught up to us when we ran in to a team that was good on offense and could play a little D. If we do not resolve this issue, next year could be a long one.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Starting around the middle of the season, I don't know if I've ever seen such an ineffective passing game as Bama had. Maybe LSU :)? It caught up to us when we ran in to a team that was good on offense and could play a little D. If we do not resolve this issue, next year could be a long one.
This! Once everyone got a few games of film, they knew how best to defend us. As stated, Clemson had a good O and a good enough D.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
Of course it was a pick. Kiffen ran a couple of them in the last 1-2 years; maybe I recall one key TD against LSU. Announcers call it a pick/rub and chuckle. I was screaming 'pick play' from my upper deck seat but Tony Brown didn't hear me. :)
Understand, every Bama player thought run. It was really brave to call a pass because the clock could've easily run out or there could've been a tip, a drop, Watson tripping, etc.

You know what stinks? Once you have time to think about it, you realize we should have just taken both receivers to the ground. With 6 seconds to go at the 2 yardline, the field goal is now inevitable. Take a penalty, let them move the ball to the 1 yardline and kick it. Not that any of this crossed my mind in the instant it all happened.
That whole non-call stuff made me think the same...it's like 'if you ain't cheating ya ain't trying' coming from the other side, might as well make the rules work for us too right? Oh well..we got 16 I'ma let Clemson live it up with the bandwagon mess. I doubt they get it again (although I been wrong before I suppose). Still don't sit well with me, but we got away with some in games before so it can always go both ways.

Think Bama should start doing the same things in games, lol that's a sure fire way to get the rules enforced more...if it gives Bama an advantage ;)

Last edited:

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Don't we have a defensive call that allows those d backs to switch assignments? To pick up the receiver heading in their direction ? the way that play is being officiated, it seems like the only logical thing to do.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I hate that they scored on two plays like that. I don't like it. But it's done, a terribly tough lesson to learn.

More to your point, CF, we should have known better than to be in cover zero on the last second touchdown. Roll a man underneath or towards the flat and you may have a pick there.

Then again, DW may have just ran it in. Just not good defense. We were clearly on our heels at that point, while Clemson was going for the kill.
Could we have called a timeout right before the snap? We might could have gotten a different play. I don't there is any chance they run in this scenario think they might have time for one more play if they didn't make it. So set the defense to defend any route off the LOS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Don't we have a defensive call that allows those d backs to switch assignments? To pick up the receiver heading in their direction ? the way that play is being officiated, it seems like the only logical thing to do.
Route matching usually happens with the DBs off the line. Don't think Saban would want that on the 2 yard line.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The moment I found the crew was from the Big 12, I felt a pit in my stomach.
Yeah they let this type play go all day long. You wouldn't get this call in the SEC.

Bottom line we should have done whatever was necessary to jam Renfro at the LOS. You had to know in that clutch situation the ball was going to him.

Put this play in the same bucket along with Nick Marshall's Pop pass with numerous linemen down field and move on.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Yeah they let this type play go all day long. You wouldn't get this call in the SEC.

Bottom line we should have done whatever was necessary to jam Renfro at the LOS. You had to know in that clutch situation the ball was going to him.

Put this play in the same bucket along with Nick Marshall's Pop pass with numerous linemen down field and move on.

He was lined up behind the LOS and the route stayed behind the LOS till he was past the pick so there was no way to jam him

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Could we have called a timeout right before the snap? We might could have gotten a different play. I don't there is any chance they run in this scenario think they might have time for one more play if they didn't make it. So set the defense to defend any route off the LOS.

I hindsight, I would have called a timeout and instructed all secondary players to tackle all receivers at the line of scrimmage and hold them till the whistle blows. Take the penalty with 00:01 or less on the clock and try to block the field goal or take our chances in OT.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Absolutely we do. I have no idea what triggers it, or whether the safety (remember, Eddie’s been hurt) should’ve pointed it out, but if you watch the pre-snap, Bama was playing run. Tony was itching to go stop a Watson run. No one thought Dabo would call a rollout pass with time expiring vs. taking the easy FG.
Also, I don’t know if the other DB (Marlon or Minkah?) could have executed that switch quickly enough with a guy in his gut. Hence the pick rule.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Regarding the "pick plays". The way I look at it is we should have been running them ourselves. It's the championship game for goodness sake. No need to hold anything back. The two that got the attention were the TD plays. But they were running them all night with great success. We should have been running them as well. Or at least attempting them. If the refs were going to let it go then take advantage of it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Regarding the "pick plays". The way I look at it is we should have been running them ourselves. It's the championship game for goodness sake. No need to hold anything back. The two that got the attention were the TD plays. But they were running them all night with great success. We should have been running them as well. Or at least attempting them. If the refs were going to let it go then take advantage of it.
​They would have flagged us

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Let me get this straight. You felt a pit in the pit of your stomach? :D
Kind of like when I get a diverticulitis flare up [emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji12][emoji12][emoji378][emoji378][emoji523][emoji523][emoji523][emoji378][emoji378][emoji378]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.