Clemson fan here.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I know the automatic assumption is that when Coach Saban retires Dabo's phone will be ringing, and that may well be what happens (though I don't think so). But to be honest, I don't think Dabo would take the job at Alabama. There's no doubt he knows the culture, the ultra high standards and how hot the pan can get when those standards aren't being met. I think Dabo's personality and way of coaching fits more in the culture at Clemson than in Tuscaloosa. That's not a knock or slight in anyway toward Clemson or Dabo. I think Dabo's at Clemson as long as y'all want him. I just don't see him making the move to Tuscaloosa to coach in the frying of The University of Alabama. Former players coming back as HC's to coach their alma mater doesn't always turnout with a positive result.
At this point you'd have to think that Dabo will be at Clemson for a long time because I don't his style/personality is a good fit in the NFL either..

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I know the automatic assumption is that when Coach Saban retires Dabo's phone will be ringing, and that may well be what happens (though I don't think so). But to be honest, I don't think Dabo would take the job at Alabama. There's no doubt he knows the culture, the ultra high standards and how hot the pan can get when those standards aren't being met. I think Dabo's personality and way of coaching fits more in the culture at Clemson than in Tuscaloosa. That's not a knock or slight in anyway toward Clemson or Dabo. I think Dabo's at Clemson as long as y'all want him. I just don't see him making the move to Tuscaloosa to coach in the frying of The University of Alabama. Former players coming back as HC's to coach their alma mater doesn't always turnout with a positive result.
I actually think he would be at Bill Battle's office door before they hung up the phone if Alabama called him. But I don't think that call is ever going to come.

It's not as if we must get a Coach Saban protege to follow him. We don't need to fall into the trap that we fell into post-Coach Bryant. We need to go out there and get the best guy available, but he does need to fit a similar mold. I don't think the rah-rah, corporate sloganeering style would ever work here. I don't think the fans would ever buy it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I actually agree with this 100%. While Dabo and his wife are from Alabama, he's been at Clemson since 2003. All his children have ever known is the upstate of South Carolina. It's their home. He's now on the Danny Ford level at Clemson, which means he is our coach as long as he wants to be. And we will love him for going 10-2/11-1 or better with conference titles and playoff berths. At Alabama, that won't cut it. And I pity the man who has to follow Saban after he retires. It'll be a no-win situation for them.
It's a double edge sword man. It really is. A lot of the reason Alabama is what it is, is because the demands of the fans. "They"/"We" demand excellence and truth be told demand it at an unrealistic level. But, by doing that we are who we are and that's arguably the greatest college football program of all time, in the midst of the greatest dynasty in college football history. Y'alls fanbase isn't like that, and that's not an insult. Because some would say not being like Bama fans is a compliment. LOL!

Dabo, IMO, is at his "best fit" job he will ever find. I just don't see him taking the job at Bama if it were offered , and if he did I don't see it working out very well. Completely different football culture.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Congrats RTR. Yall deserved the win.

I don't know who'll follow CNS when his retirement comes. Ironically, losing a game like this probably lights a fire under him that may keep him in the game several more years.

Speaking of that, many Auburn fans were saying they kinda hoped Bama would win this game because they thought another Bama/CNS NC would push CNS toward retirement sooner.

So, even in this Bama loss, we might have just won to the chagrin of the Barners. And, as others have said, hope you open up a can on them next year!!!

rubtherock6317

Jan 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
It's a double edge sword man. It really is. A lot of the reason Alabama is what it is, is because the demands of the fans. "They"/"We" demand excellence and truth be told demand it at an unrealistic level. But, by doing that we are who we are and that's arguably the greatest college football program of all time, in the midst of the greatest dynasty in college football history. Y'alls fanbase isn't like that, and that's not an insult. Because some would say not being like Bama fans is a compliment. LOL!

Dabo, IMO, is at his "best fit" job he will ever find. I just don't see him taking the job at Bama if it were offered , and if he did I don't see it working out very well. Completely different football culture.
I'm with you again haha. I think Clemson fans are mixed on whether or not he'd take the Bama job. I personally don't think he will. South Carolina fans seem to think he will, but I'm not even sure if Alabama would entertain coming after him. I agree it's a totally different football culture. And there's nothing wrong with that at all! I live in Charlotte, and the first thing I learned living here was that North Carolina fans expect national championships in basketball every year, and it's a disappointing season if that doesn't happen. I equate that to Alabama football expectations.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Hello Tide fans. Just wanted to come on here and take a few minutes to thank the Alabama fans we encountered over the last two national championship games. Y'all have been incredibly hospitable, win or lose, and I truly appreciate that.

I've been reading this board over the past week and have enjoyed y'all's breakdown of the game, both before and after.

I'm not sure if we'll have enough to get back to the table, but y'all will undoubtedly be back in the playoffs next season. This could be a good thing for me because I'm not sure I can take a rubber match after these two games!

Once again, thank y'all so much for the hospitality! Go Tigers! RTR!
It's funny how these two games have been compared to Rocky I and II because my first thought at the end of this game was like Apollo after the first fight, "There ain't gonna be no rematch." However, I have recovered like Apollo must have on the ambulance between one and two because I would now love a rematch. These were two great games, and it really is a shame that either team had to lose either one. Congratulations to you guys, but we can still say it took a Bama boy to lead y'all to victory. Hahahaha.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Congrats RTR. Yall deserved the win.

I don't know who'll follow CNS when his retirement comes. Ironically, losing a game like this probably lights a fire under him that may keep him in the game several more years.

Speaking of that, many Auburn fans were saying they kinda hoped Bama would win this game because they thought another Bama/CNS NC would push CNS toward retirement sooner.

Trust me I live in Barn territory MANY Barn fans are glad we lost they even rolled Toomers Corner because of it,I have not come across one yet that is not thrilled Bama lost. Matter of fact for a day or two I was not sure who actually won the championship Clemson or the Barn

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Trust me I live in Barn territory MANY Barn fans are glad we lost they even rolled Toomers Corner because of it,I have not come across one yet that is not thrilled Bama lost. Matter of fact for a day or two I was not sure who actually won the championship Clemson or the Barn
Oh, I know plenty are glad...probably most all of them...but I saw several posts on ITAT that believed we would win and the solace was they thought it would cause CNS to retire sooner. It was their way of coping in fear/belief we would win.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
30 likely drunk college kids roll the trees and people have a conniption over it.

And y'all don't act like there wouldn't be Bama fans celebrating were the roles reversed. Heck only three years ago I got very familiar with "nole tide" and "roll tribe roll," and "roll ducks roll" three years before that.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
No doubt about it

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Dabo has taken Clemson to the next level. There is nothing he can do in Tuscaloosa that he can't accomplish in Clemson. Hats off to him for a job well done.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Congratulations rubtherock, your team certainly deserved it! I'm not sure if Dabo would ever leave for Bama but even if he does your program will continue to win. Good luck next year and maybe we will have the "rubber match" down the road!

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
30 likely drunk college kids roll the trees and people have a conniption over it.

And y'all don't act like there wouldn't be Bama fans celebrating were the roles reversed. Heck only three years ago I got very familiar with "nole tide" and "roll tribe roll," and "roll ducks roll" three years before that.
Celebrate, no. Shed a tear that auburn lost, never. Enjoy a good giggle, absolutely.

I work with a majority of auburn folks who bought and wore to work "Coon ... for a day" shirts when we played LSU in '11. Followed that up with "Irish for a day" shirts in '12.

The rub with the rolling of the corner is this: Isn't that something y'all do after an auburn team does something of note? An equivalent to Monday night's papering would be if Bama had a Celebration of Champions in BDS cause y'all lost to FSU. That would be Aubsurd. Lastly, from the pics I saw it was more than "30 likely drunk college kids". In fact, where were you that night Dub? Giving your girls another lesson in the proper technique for tossing o' the paper, ha!!! :wink:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Celebrate, no. Shed a tear that auburn lost, never. Enjoy a good giggle, absolutely.

I work with a majority of auburn folks who bought and wore to work "Coon ... for a day" shirts when we played LSU in '11. Followed that up with "Irish for a day" shirts in '12.

The rub with the rolling of the corner is this: Isn't that something y'all do after an auburn team does something of note? An equivalent to Monday night's papering would be if Bama had a Celebration of Champions in BDS cause y'all lost to FSU. That would be Aubsurd. Lastly, from the pics I saw it was more than "30 likely drunk college kids". In fact, where were you that night Dub? Giving your girls another lesson in the proper technique for tossing o' the paper, ha!!! :wink:
Heck, y'all were bringing signs gleefully pointing out that we lost to Alabama basketball games months after the fact.

A little rattling of them bones prior to the games is to be expected. I've put up with it twice, but it hardly even registers as an annoyance.

And you know those are in no way equivalent. Rolling the corner is as easy grabbing a roll or two and walking a few yards. It's not like we gathered everyone and did a Tiger walk.

For a pic, look no further than the Auburn thread.

Do I like that we did it? No. I'd prefer we show a little more class than that, but I find the histrionics over it laughable.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

30? LOL

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Congrats to Clemson! It was a well earned win. I don't think any other team could have come back on the Bama defense in that last two minutes.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They came back in the final 2 minutes due to what they did for the first 58 on defense and offense. Kept us from sustaining drives consistently (even if they stalled out for a punt or field goal...better than 3 downs and a punt!), found a rhythm at times on offense and piled on snaps, so when it counted our feared pass rush was gassed and just couldn't force Watson into any bad balls. It sucks because what we were doing for the first 3 quarters was unbelievable but just didn't have enough gas to finish it on defense. The defense even got a few stops in the middle part of the 4th quarter only for the offense to hand the ball right back in 3 downs. Imagine if we could have bled the clock and got a touchdown on one of those drives. May have hung on by the skin of our teeth again for a 31-28 victory after fielding an onside kick!

But that is why you gotta hand it to Clemson. They were the only team in America that physically matched up with us...so all things being equal otherwise, it came down to 2-time Heisman runner up QB v. True Freshman QB.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.