Clemson fan here.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
If auhurn people can't be responsible with trees and toilet paper, why not restrict access so that you can only get there when Auburn does something of note?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But that is why you gotta hand it to Clemson. They were the only team in America that physically matched up with us...so all things being equal otherwise, it came down to 2-time Heisman runner up QB v. True Freshman QB.
I view it slightly differently. They beat Alabama with 1 second to go in the game with Watson. If the teams switched QBs, Alabama beats Clemson by 40. Yes, Watson was the difference maker, but Clemson was not Alabama's equal everywhere else. Not even close. Watson just made up for their other deficiencies. When Watson played like a regular QB (making some plays, but also making some mistakes) in the first and second quarters, Alabama built a lead. Once Watson started clicking, the entire Clemson team fed on his play.

Watson, like last year, was the Clemson team. They will be a decent team next year, but they will not be a playoff contender.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Once Watson started clicking, the entire Clemson team fed on his play.

Watson, like last year, was the Clemson team. They will be a decent team next year, but they will not be a playoff contender.
While I agree with your post, I wish they would make it back for the rubber match with an experienced Jalen Hurts!

wumarshall82

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 13, 2016
You have to give credit to the entire team for that W. Defense held their own (considering 2 turnovers that only accounted for 3 points), offensive line did well against the best defense they faced and the receiving group made some excellent catches (some jump balls) over the final few drives.

I think Clemson may have a slight drop off and its hard to think you make it back 3 years in a row but I feel confident that with the talent already mentioned earlier in this thread, 2018/2019, could be years to put money on it.

That game was truly the best 2 teams in the country and Alabama fans were gracious at both games (phx/tpa). I watched some of the Bama player interviews after Mondays game and they should make your university proud with their comments! They win and lose like true competitors.

I believe that Gamecock fans are more upset about this loss though :)

Good luck next year!

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With that hot take, I'm curious as to what your thoughts on OSU will be next year considering Barrett will be your qb?
JT was a very good QB under Herman, and he has regressed since Herman left. Wilson comes in with a great reputation as a play caller and a developer of QBs. So, we will run a slightly different offense next season (though it will build off of Meyer's RPO), we will return 4 offensive linemen, we will return our receivers, and we will have Wilson at OC. I think that we will be much better offensively.

But, more importantly, our defense is now much more experienced. We started so many true and RS freshmen last year - it was crazy. Meyer made the mistake of red shirting 21 of 25 players in 2015. When our whole team left for the NFL draft after that season, we had no expectation that we would win 10+ games last year. It was a pleasant surprise to our fan base. For 2017 we lose almost no one (our center is the one huge loss).

So, much like Alabama won with Hurts in 2016 and could easily have won it all with him even with his limitations, I expect Ohio State to play very well in 2017. JT will never be an NFL QB. He simply doesn't read defenses well enough. But he is good enough to win championships at the college level.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
30 likely drunk college kids roll the trees and people have a conniption over it.

And y'all don't act like there wouldn't be Bama fans celebrating were the roles reversed. Heck only three years ago I got very familiar with "nole tide" and "roll tribe roll," and "roll ducks roll" three years before that.
Dub, most of us around here like you as a poster, but we don't like anything about Auburn. No way you can make us feel "OK" with Toomers getting rolled because Bama lost.

It's an "Auburn tradition" for when yall win (that nobody here understands), but not for when we lose. That's the difference...much more so than Bama fans rooting for FSU or Oregon.

You are right to be embarrrassed about what those college kids did...you should be...but don't try to justify it to us.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Have you seen the video and the pictures? 30 is a pretty generous estimate.

If auhurn people can't be responsible with trees and toilet paper, why not restrict access so that you can only get there when Auburn does something of note?
Difficult to do. They're not exactly in the heart of campus. They're at the intersection of College and Magnolia on the corner of campus.

Dub, most of us around here like you as a poster, but we don't like anything about Auburn. No way you can make us feel "OK" with Toomers getting rolled because Bama lost.

It's an "Auburn tradition" for when yall win (that nobody here understands), but not for when we lose. That's the difference...much more so than Bama fans rooting for FSU or Oregon.

You are right to be embarrrassed about what those college kids did...you should be...but don't try to justify it to us.
"erhmagerd, some stupid, drunk, college aged (emphasis!) barners rolled the trees. Unforgivable! Little bro! Never pulling for any other SEC school again! Sankey should cut them out of the conference bowl revenue!"

I don't expect you to feel ok about it. You shouldn't. I don't even really approve, it should be reserved for when we do something good. It cheapens the tradition otherwise. But that it comes as such a shock that some of your rival fans would be happy (have you even seen the response from the LSU crowd?) you lost is a mystery to me. That rolling the trees is some sort of unforgivable transgression, even more so.

I know what it's like to lose and have to put up with your rivals glee. Heck, I was in the game thread for that one. Here's a sample of that:

The barn will forever more be known as the SEC team that broke the streak. Roll Tide!
Haha. I'm thrilled! :)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(*wheeeeeeezzzzzze*)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Yes, and I will be sure to remind everyone of them of that fact tomorrow...

and the next day...

and the next day...
And that was a reflection of my day at the office the following day. I caught heck at work because of it. We lost one and the fun some of my co-workers at my expense was hard to put up with, but, hey, water off a duck's back.

Speaking of ducks, three years before that:

The idea that your fan base is above such "little bro" behavior is laughable. You think I raised Caine about "denying bowl revenue" or called y'all jealous because some of you had the nerve to pull against us or laugh at us failing on the biggest stage? Nope. Some barners did, sure. Didn't like it then. Don't like how some of us are acting now. Just don't act like your fan base is so "above it all" when it's no different. Such is fandom and the nature of rivalries. Rattling them bones is to be expected.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Hey Dub, what if I just didn't care either way? Do get lumped in with people who pulled for Oregon or Florida State. FYI I didn't even watch either game.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'll be honest and say I wasn't rooting too hard for Oregon or Free Seafood University. I didn't want the barn winning, but wish they had been playing someone I could stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They weren't being responsible before they were poisoned. Several years before the incident, a member of their arbor department had written an article, published internally, that the trees were dying from roots being paved over and having the foliage and twigs blasted away by high pressure hoses clearing the TP. Their live oaks are north of their normal range and are evergreen, growing opportunistically. They briefly exfoliate in the spring. When you blast away their leaves in football season, you're starving them, and they will die before their normally long, lifespan. (The ones which were poisoned were not nearly so old as your AU friends will try to lead you to believe.) The article doesn't exist any more on Auburn's website, but it still can be found on the web. It interfered with the victim narrative, and, naturally, the criminal case. If they keep treating these trees the same, they'll die prematurely also, burned or not...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just don't act like your fan base is so "above it all" when it's no different.
Do you know that you are on a Bama board???

And your act of trying to convince us that our fan base is "no different" than the Barn won't be received very well here.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Best way to keep Auburn from rolling their trees, it seems is to either win or just ignore it. I can't understand why it bother anyone. Every fanbase is going to have THOSE fans where their biggest win for a season is your team losing. It's what happens when your team is pretty darned good for many seasons. Enjoy it. There may come a time when Bama losing a game attracts no attention because it's not a big deal. Then you'll miss these days.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I went to AUFamily (Dub's home board) and saw a thread about the tree rolling. Most there weren't big fans of it happening. Some were embarrassed and some brushed it off as dumb college students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Every fanbase has a segment that is just plain embarrassing. The tree rolling after the CFPCG was cornball but it doesn't reflect on all Auburn fans to me at least. But the reality is that the Harvey Updyke's and after-natty-treeroller's of the fanbase do end up reflecting on the whole...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I went to AUFamily (Dub's home board) and saw a thread about the tree rolling. Most there weren't big fans of it happening. Some were embarrassed and some brushed it off as dumb college students.
Yeah put me in the dumb kids category. Bunch of drunk sophomores steal all of Skybar's TP for an impromptu roll of the corner. Big deal. Don't like it. Aaaaand now I'm over it.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
30 likely drunk college kids roll the trees and people have a conniption over it.

And y'all don't act like there wouldn't be Bama fans celebrating were the roles reversed. Heck only three years ago I got very familiar with "nole tide" and "roll tribe roll," and "roll ducks roll" three years before that.
Boomer Barner :wink:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.