Clemson fan here.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
They weren't being responsible before they were poisoned. Several years before the incident, a member of their arbor department had written an article, published internally, that the trees were dying from roots being paved over and having the foliage and twigs blasted away by high pressure hoses clearing the TP. Their live oaks are north of their normal range and are evergreen, growing opportunistically. They briefly exfoliate in the spring. When you blast away their leaves in football season, you're starving them, and they will die before their normally long, lifespan. (The ones which were poisoned were not nearly so old as your AU friends will try to lead you to believe.) The article doesn't exist any more on Auburn's website, but it still can be found on the web. It interfered with the victim narrative, and, naturally, the criminal case. If they keep treating these trees the same, they'll die prematurely also, burned or not...
https://issuu.com/alumniau/docs/toomersoaks

From 2007, really a must read for college fans as it refutes the modern toomers narrative

Last edited:

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
To get back to the HC game: pass on to your fellow Clemson fans that virtually every knowledgeable Bama fan realizes that you won because you were the best team on that day. Your team played heroically, your receivers were beyond belief, and Watson demonstrated why he is the best QB in college football. When that game was over, in spite of my chagrin at how we allowed you to beat us twice on the same play, my first words were "the best team won today". This from a fan who still sees in his mind the final pass from a Notre Dame QB from his own end zone that extended the clock and cost us an otherwise nonexistent win over Ara Parshegan...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Holy thread drift Batman. The OP had a pretty good thread going but rubtherock6317 has probably left the building after this drifted to a Alabama vs Auburn thread.

Thank you posters who have tried to bring it back to the original subject.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
To get back to the HC game: pass on to your fellow Clemson fans that virtually every knowledgeable Bama fan realizes that you won because you were the best team on that day. Your team played heroically, your receivers were beyond belief, and Watson demonstrated why he is the best QB in college football. When that game was over, in spite of my chagrin at how we allowed you to beat us twice on the same play, my first words were "the best team won today". This from a fan who still sees in his mind the final pass from a Notre Dame QB from his own end zone that extended the clock and cost us an otherwise nonexistent win over Ara Parshegan...
Took me a full week to get over that game, a few hours to get over this last one.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
To get back to the HC game: pass on to your fellow Clemson fans that virtually every knowledgeable Bama fan realizes that you won because you were the best team on that day. Your team played heroically, your receivers were beyond belief, and Watson demonstrated why he is the best QB in college football. When that game was over, in spite of my chagrin at how we allowed you to beat us twice on the same play, my first words were "the best team won today".
My sentiments exactly after this game. In the past 12-months living in Columbia and working all over the state I have not experienced one single clemson fan willing to admit this same thing about last year's game. To a man they believe they were the better team and would've won a rematch. Truth is this year's game was a mirror-image of last year's game. At end of that game Bama was getting stronger and clemson was done. Add another quarter and Bama pulls away by 3 scores. The same can be said for this year's game except flip the roles. Bama D was spent by end of game, same as clemson's was last year.

rubtherock6317

Jan 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
My sentiments exactly after this game. In the past 12-months living in Columbia and working all over the state I have not experienced one single clemson fan willing to admit this same thing about last year's game. To a man they believe they were the better team and would've won a rematch. Truth is this year's game was a mirror-image of last year's game. At end of that game Bama was getting stronger and clemson was done. Add another quarter and Bama pulls away by 3 scores. The same can be said for this year's game except flip the roles. Bama D was spent by end of game, same as clemson's was last year.
I have no problem admitting this. I think most Clemson fans probably looked at the suspension of Cain, the fact that Shaq Lawson wasn't 100%, Mackensie Alexander going out in the first half, etc. as reasons why they felt we could've won the game. I always said we made Nick Saban go into his bag of tricks to beat us, so you tip your cap and move on. But we wanted another shot at Bama after last year's close call.

But you're right, these were very similar games where the roles appeared to be flipped. I do think this year's Clemson team was actually a little better than last year's despite the high number of close wins. The schedule was much tougher this year compared to last, but the Clemson defense didn't give up nearly as many big plays this season. Teams had to drive the field for the most part, and that proved to be a problem.

Either way you look at it, these were two classic games and I'm not sure I could survive a third lol.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I have no problem admitting this. I think most Clemson fans probably looked at the suspension of Cain, the fact that Shaq Lawson wasn't 100%, Mackensie Alexander going out in the first half, etc. as reasons why they felt we could've won the game. I always said we made Nick Saban go into his bag of tricks to beat us, so you tip your cap and move on. But we wanted another shot at Bama after last year's close call.

But you're right, these were very similar games where the roles appeared to be flipped. I do think this year's Clemson team was actually a little better than last year's despite the high number of close wins. The schedule was much tougher this year compared to last, but the Clemson defense didn't give up nearly as many big plays this season. Teams had to drive the field for the most part, and that proved to be a problem.

Either way you look at it, these were two classic games and I'm not sure I could survive a third lol.
I'm with you on that!

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

clemson had huge gaping holes in its special teams and in the gambling defensive alignment Venables was using against Bama. Nothing tricky about throwing to the TE, and the onside kick was there for the taking all game and Bama knew it based on game film study. It was a way less risky and tricky play than it looked, with Bama only needing a solid kick to make it work. We don't know if having Cain back would've made a big difference last year, but we do know that clemson scored a TD against Bama's soft prevent D with 12 seconds left to make a 2-score game closer than it really was.

clemson surrendered 24 pts in 4th quarter last year, their D was done. Similarly Bama surrendered 21 pts in 4th quarter this year, their D was done. Both games were a play or two away from swinging the other way, but in both cases the better team did walk away with the win. Add another quarter to either game and the winning team pulls away IMO.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.