Clemson fan here.

rubtherock6317

Jan 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Hello Tide fans. Just wanted to come on here and take a few minutes to thank the Alabama fans we encountered over the last two national championship games. Y'all have been incredibly hospitable, win or lose, and I truly appreciate that.

I've been reading this board over the past week and have enjoyed y'all's breakdown of the game, both before and after.

I'm not sure if we'll have enough to get back to the table, but y'all will undoubtedly be back in the playoffs next season. This could be a good thing for me because I'm not sure I can take a rubber match after these two games!

Once again, thank y'all so much for the hospitality! Go Tigers! RTR!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Welcome to the board and congratulations on the national title. Y'all deserved it and were the better team. Stick around if you will because I'm sure our folks want to pick your brain regarding your thoughts on next year for Clemson and what you think the future holds for the Tigers. Again, congrats on the title and welcome aboard.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I do have a question. There's a thread somewhere on the board (I think) about the "staying power" of Clemson. What level of "staying power" do you think y'all will have? Do you think y'all will consistently be a 10+ win team or do you think y'all will fluctuate between double digit and single digit wins?

Last edited:

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
Hello Tide fans. Just wanted to come on here and take a few minutes to thank the Alabama fans we encountered over the last two national championship games. Y'all have been incredibly hospitable, win or lose, and I truly appreciate that.

I've been reading this board over the past week and have enjoyed y'all's breakdown of the game, both before and after.

I'm not sure if we'll have enough to get back to the table, but y'all will undoubtedly be back in the playoffs next season. This could be a good thing for me because I'm not sure I can take a rubber match after these two games!

Thank you. I didn't go to any games. But it's glad to know this. Also I agree the break down of the game on here is great also.
But Roll Tide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rubtherock6317

Jan 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Well, I personally think Dabo's recruiting (and that of his staff) allows us to have staying power. Much like Alabama this season, we were actually a very young team. The problem is we lose extremely impactful guys (both talent-wise and leadership-wise) on both sides of the ball.

On offense, we have talented quarterbacks waiting in the wings, but Watson is the best to ever play at Clemson in my opinion, so there will almost assuredly be a drop-off there. We redshirted Zerick Cooper this year, and he's supposed to be similar to Watson. We also have the #1 QB enrolled for next year in Hunter Johnson, and he was the MVP of the Army All-American game last week. Gallman's physical style will be tough to replace, but we have Tavien Feaster and CJ Fuller who should do fine behind a solid OL. Feaster was a true freshman this year, but was rated the #1 RB in last year's class. Obviously, Williams was an NFL guy playing college ball this year and that will be tough to replace, but our WRs will be loaded again. We still have Deon Cain, Hunter Renfrow, Ray-Ray McCloud, etc. and we have another loaded WR class coming in, as well as some other high impact WRs who signed last year.

Defensively, our biggest loss is Boulware (especially from a leadership standpoint). But we have two five-star LBs waiting behind him, so the talent is there. I think we return something like 12 of the top 13 defensive linemen from this season, with Carlos Watkins being the lone senior. Everyone else is back. In the secondary, we lose Jadar Johnson and Cordrea Tankersley, but we've recruited well enough there to withstand those losses.

Another thing Dabo does is play a lot of young guys in games, sometimes to a fault. Our game against Troy was ridiculously close, but he played a ton of younger guys for some reason (maybe to give them meaningful snaps in a game that was close but we should be able to win no matter what).

As for next year, we do have tough games at home with Auburn and Florida State and at Virginia Tech and Louisville. But we've got the expectation now of beating every team we show up to play (and that was never the case pre-Dabo).

Without following us closely, what are your thoughts on whether or not we have staying power?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Thank you for the kind words and congrats to you all on the win. It was a tough game but Clemson was better that night. Watson was fantastic and the best player on the field, but Clemson has built up their program well along the LOS. Maybe you guys don't make the final 4, but I suspect you will be in the running for the ACC title again.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Congrats on the win. Naturally it was disappointing to us Bama fans, but I honestly felt like after the game that the better team won. Watson and your receivers are incredibly good. Enjoy your NC and in a way you have us to thank for both this year's and 1981 with Dabo and Danny getting them for you all:)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Well, I personally think Dabo's recruiting (and that of his staff) allows us to have staying power. Much like Alabama this season, we were actually a very young team. The problem is we lose extremely impactful guys (both talent-wise and leadership-wise) on both sides of the ball.

On offense, we have talented quarterbacks waiting in the wings, but Watson is the best to ever play at Clemson in my opinion, so there will almost assuredly be a drop-off there. We redshirted Zerick Cooper this year, and he's supposed to be similar to Watson. We also have the #1 QB enrolled for next year in Hunter Johnson, and he was the MVP of the Army All-American game last week. Gallman's physical style will be tough to replace, but we have Tavien Feaster and CJ Fuller who should do fine behind a solid OL. Feaster was a true freshman this year, but was rated the #1 RB in last year's class. Obviously, Williams was an NFL guy playing college ball this year and that will be tough to replace, but our WRs will be loaded again. We still have Deon Cain, Hunter Renfrow, Ray-Ray McCloud, etc. and we have another loaded WR class coming in, as well as some other high impact WRs who signed last year.

Defensively, our biggest loss is Boulware (especially from a leadership standpoint). But we have two five-star LBs waiting behind him, so the talent is there. I think we return something like 12 of the top 13 defensive linemen from this season, with Carlos Watkins being the lone senior. Everyone else is back. In the secondary, we lose Jadar Johnson and Cordrea Tankersley, but we've recruited well enough there to withstand those losses.

Another thing Dabo does is play a lot of young guys in games, sometimes to a fault. Our game against Troy was ridiculously close, but he played a ton of younger guys for some reason (maybe to give them meaningful snaps in a game that was close but we should be able to win no matter what).

As for next year, we do have tough games at home with Auburn and Florida State and at Virginia Tech and Louisville. But we've got the expectation now of beating every team we show up to play (and that was never the case pre-Dabo).

Without following us closely, what are your thoughts on whether or not we have staying power?
I think y'all definitely have "staying power". I think Dabo (though a little too emotional and rah-rah for my taste) is a top notch coach who will keep the talent level coming in and will surround himself with top notch coaches. I think y'all can consistently have double digit wins. But, realistically, I think y'all will have a few double digit wins then have a year (two at the most) of single digit win seasons. Y'alls offense and its success is heavily dictated by the quarterback position. That's one thing I think that has kept Alabama "immune" to huge fluctuations of success is Saban's ability to bring in so much talent at every other position. That we have had more of a cushion to have a dip in performance at the quarterback position and still keep trucking along. But Saban is the exception, not the rule. Which when Saban is gone Alabama will face this reality.

If the next guy in line at quarterback can develop to the point where they can run y'alls style offense how it's supposed to be run. Then yes, I think double digit wins and appearances in conference championship games and playoffs will be a frequent event. But if not, look no further than Auburn, AL where all it takes is a miss or two or three at quarterback and you quickly will go from double digit wins to eight wins seasons. Sounds drastic, but when offenses are so quarterback driven this is the result when that position has a drop off. Keep an eye on Ole Miss. If Shea Patterson doesn't continue to develop the rebels will be in the same boat. Freeze's offense and its success lives or dies by the level of quarterback play. And for him to win the west and make an appearance in Atlanta the level of QB play has to be elite. Not just good.

Last edited:

rubtherock6317

Jan 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Thanks! I'm only 32 years old, so I wasn't alive in '81 when we won it. I will admit I called my dad from the stadium and just broke down and cried haha. And while I would never compare us to Alabama historically, I understand the connection we have with former Alabama players (Frank Howard as well).

I will also admit that we wanted to play Alabama so bad this year. We knew that if we were going to win the whole thing, we wanted to beat the best. And there's no doubt as to who that program is.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Congrats on the win. We have played two outstanding games over the last 2 seasons and it will be difficult to top those.
PS: Beat the crap out of Auburn next year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Thanks! I'm only 32 years old, so I wasn't alive in '81 when we won it. I will admit I called my dad from the stadium and just broke down and cried haha. And while I would never compare us to Alabama historically, I understand the connection we have with former Alabama players (Frank Howard as well).

I will also admit that we wanted to play Alabama so bad this year. We knew that if we were going to win the whole thing, we wanted to beat the best. And there's no doubt as to who that program is.
I will admit when the playoffs were announced and Clemson was sitting there on the opposite side of the bracket, I didn't get scared but I was concerned. I knew they would beat Ohio State and it was going to be a rematch. I knew you all would have all that motivation going for you, after last year's game. I just felt, the closer we got to the game, that Alabama's defense would have motivation after their poor performance a year ago, and that our offense would slow down the game and control the clock, limiting Clemson's play count on offense. We were not able to control the ball in any way, and while our defense was able to keep Clemson bottled up for three quarters, they were completely fatigued in the fourth. They had to play almost 2 games worth of plays. We were doomed at that point.

No matter how I feel about any penalties or lack of penalty calls, Clemson outplayed Alabama that night. There were too many things for us to overcome, ultimately. But I'm proud that despite all of that, we were one play away at the end. This will be a win that Clemson fans will cherish for a long, long time.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm just glad our team went 1-1 against Watson. The young man is a gamer. Can't believe his draft stock isn't out the roof!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I don't know who your QB will be next year, but that QB commitment who played in the Army All-American high school game in San Antonio has a STRONG and apparently accurate arm.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I also have to know how you feel about having (FIVE) former Alabama Crimson Tide players as coaches: Frank Howard (and his ROCK you rub), Hootie Ingram (not a good record), Danny Ford (a NC), Charlie Pell, and Dabo Swinney?

rubtherock6317

Jan 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Obviously, we love Coach Howard. I wasn't around for his time, or Hootie Ingram or Charley Pell for that matter. I was very young during the second half of the Ford Era, but he's obviously Clemson royalty. Dabo is revered along with Ford and Howard. We love him, and we believe Alabama is the only place he'd ever leave Clemson to take.

Like I said in a previous post on here, I love the connection we have to Alabama. I love that Dabo is trying to build our program to be an elite one year in and year out, and he knows how that has to be done since he's an Alabama guy. I can understand how many don't like him with his cheesy sayings and rah-rah attitude, but we absolutely love him in Clemson. I hope he stays a long, long time and we can continue to build something special.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Obviously, we love Coach Howard. I wasn't around for his time, or Hootie Ingram or Charley Pell for that matter. I was very young during the second half of the Ford Era, but he's obviously Clemson royalty. Dabo is revered along with Ford and Howard. We love him, and we believe Alabama is the only place he'd ever leave Clemson to take.

Like I said in a previous post on here, I love the connection we have to Alabama. I love that Dabo is trying to build our program to be an elite one year in and year out, and he knows how that has to be done since he's an Alabama guy. I can understand how many don't like him with his cheesy sayings and rah-rah attitude, but we absolutely love him in Clemson. I hope he stays a long, long time and we can continue to build something special.

I know the automatic assumption is that when Coach Saban retires Dabo's phone will be ringing, and that may well be what happens (though I don't think so). But to be honest, I don't think Dabo would take the job at Alabama. There's no doubt he knows the culture, the ultra high standards and how hot the pan can get when those standards aren't being met. I think Dabo's personality and way of coaching fits more in the culture at Clemson than in Tuscaloosa. That's not a knock or slight in anyway toward Clemson or Dabo. I think Dabo's at Clemson as long as y'all want him. I just don't see him making the move to Tuscaloosa to coach in the frying of The University of Alabama. Former players coming back as HC's to coach their alma mater doesn't always turnout with a positive result.

rubtherock6317

Jan 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I know the automatic assumption is that when Coach Saban retires Dabo's phone will be ringing, and that may well be what happens (though I don't think so). But to be honest, I don't think Dabo would take the job at Alabama. There's no doubt he knows the culture, the ultra high standards and how hot the pan can get when those standards aren't being met. I think Dabo's personality and way of coaching fits more in the culture at Clemson than in Tuscaloosa. That's not a knock or slight in anyway toward Clemson or Dabo. I think Dabo's at Clemson as long as y'all want him. I just don't see him making the move to Tuscaloosa to coach in the frying of The University of Alabama. Former players coming back as HC's to coach their alma mater doesn't always turnout with a positive result.
I actually agree with this 100%. While Dabo and his wife are from Alabama, he's been at Clemson since 2003. All his children have ever known is the upstate of South Carolina. It's their home. He's now on the Danny Ford level at Clemson, which means he is our coach as long as he wants to be. And we will love him for going 10-2/11-1 or better with conference titles and playoff berths. At Alabama, that won't cut it. And I pity the man who has to follow Saban after he retires. It'll be a no-win situation for them.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Next year there is no replacing what clemson is losing on offense, but they do have talent coming in to try. I would be surprised if they are back in title game or even CFP, but would be equally surprised if they don't win 9 or more games too, so I don't see a big dropoff. Long term depends on keeping Venables and maintaining recruiting, but for next few years I don't see them going anywhere as they are well stocked with talent and recruiting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.