Link: Mario Cristobal Heading to Oregon to be Co-OC

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
I know Cristobal and all our coaches are great recruiters and I don't want to take anything away from them in that regard...but how much does Coach Saban and Alabama contribute to any one coaches reputation as a great recruiter?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Co-Oc? Is that like having two quarterbacks?
Maybe they will each call every other play.

I know Cristobal and all our coaches are great recruiters and I don't want to take anything away from them in that regard...but how much does Coach Saban and Alabama contribute to any one coaches reputation as a great recruiter?
You make a great point. It's not surprising when guys working under Saban are rated as extremely good recruiters.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Had this discussion in another thread. But the TEs blocked better this year, and the OL issues were on the interior, which Mario didn't coach.

Many teams have them. One guy might be more of a passing guy while the other focuses more on the run game.
Sorry, I thought Mario coached the entire O-line. Who was responsible for interior linemen?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: OL coach leaving

In all fairness to Brent Key, he came in and took over the LOS positions with the biggest question marks. Cristobal got put in charge of a 3 first rounders between OJ Howard, CamRob, and Jonah Williams (one day at least).

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

In all fairness to Brent Key, he came in and took over the LOS positions with the biggest question marks. Cristobal got put in charge of a 3 first rounders between OJ Howard, CamRob, and Jonah Williams (one day at least).
Plenty of material to work with, that`s for sure!!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I dare say that those three might make me look like a good coach this year! But seriously, Cristobal is a good one but I would caution against comparing the two OL coaches we had in 2016. Key had the much bigger project: only one returning starter (3rd year player), had to find a center, couldn't get stability at RG due to many factors. OT+TE/H-B was the strength of our blocking in 2016 but it was also the strength of our talent and experience on the front too. Key mostly keeping the interior from being a liability was a huge factor in the season. I think Saban and the staff even admitted as much to guys like Gary Danielson early in the season that they were not comfortable with their interior OL. They did get much better albeit not dominant...Key deserves a ton of credit for that.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think Cristobal is a fine coach. I just think his recruiting ability may be better than his on field coaching ability. And I may be wrong! But I guess I've grown immune to worries when we lose coaches. It's just an expectation that Coach Saban will improve the situation, even if the situation was already good.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.