Link: Good Samaritan kills attacker, saves AZ Trooper who was ambushed

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Thanks for that. I was not aware that a passerby was required by law to help a peace officer. I believe it is good policy, but was not aware the law required it. I gather that is the Alabama code?
I wonder how this is enforced. I don't own a gun and if I had been there I could not have done much beyond calling for another cop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
RTBA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right to bear arms. I knew this one would escape you, Seebell. Given your political leanings, you were probably thinking "Requirement to Be Androgynous," and were racking your brains trying to figure out how that fit in this situation.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Right to bear arms. I knew this one would escape you, Seebell. Given your political leanings, you were probably thinking "Requirement to Be Androgynous," and were racking your brains trying to figure out how that fit in this situation.
That was Funny TW!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
That good Samaritan should be invited to all the morning shows...and the nightly ones as well.

I would understand if he declined to make his identity known, however. But he is a freaking American hero......much more so than most of those who are invited to appear.

Bonus points would be if he brings his weapon.....and gives a primer on how to take down scum bags. ;)
He and the State Trooper both should be.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Thanks for that. I was not aware that a passerby was required by law to help a peace officer. I believe it is good policy, but was not aware the law required it. I gather that is the Alabama code?
I think it a shame it there needs to be a law. People should rush to help without a second thought.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I googled it - that's an Alabama law. Tennessee has a similar law:
TITLE 6: LAW ENFORCEMENT CHAPTER 1: POLICE AND ARREST

6-110. Policemen may require assistance in making arrests. It shall be unlawful for any male person to willfully refuse to aid a policeman in making a lawful arrest when such a person's assistance is requested by the policeman and is reasonably necessary to effect the arrest. (Ord. #1970-36, Sept. 1970)
I'm not a lawyer, but considering the SCOTUS' decisions regarding officers' duties to protect, these sorts of laws tick me off - I'm forced to render aid to an officer in need, though they are not forced to do the same for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_of_Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think it a shame it there needs to be a law. People should rush to help without a second thought.
Should the person not be able to use their own discernment? What if they are unarmed and have small children with them - are they to put their children in harm's way in order to protect another?

You're right - it's a shame it's a law - the individual should be able to decide if they wish to help or not.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Should the person not be able to use their own discernment? What if they are unarmed and have small children with them - are they to put their children in harm's way in order to protect another?

You're right - it's a shame it's a law - the individual should be able to decide if they wish to help or not.
I suppose an 80 year old grandmother could just run him over with her Buick.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It is. That statute came in in 1977. However, there was a predecessor statute which was similar. I assume that, if the attacker had still been armed and blazing away, it would be "reasonable" to refuse but to take cover instead... :)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I'm not a lawyer, but considering the SCOTUS' decisions regarding officers' duties to protect, these sorts of laws tick me off - I'm forced to render aid to an officer in need, though they are not forced to do the same for me.

I can see that, but I still think in both cases, the forces of order (and here I would include every able-bodied citizen as well as the police) should assist each other to the extent possible.
The crazy part is that a person in the commission of a crime assaults a responding police office and I render assistance which results in the bodily injury of the assailant, the assailant could probably find some lawyer to sue me for damages, and, depending on the jurisdiction, would probably win. In southwestern Virginia, such a person might get another butt-whoopin' just for filing such a suit, but in the lost portions of the state where the ausländer preponderate, such a suit would probably result in damages being awarded the assailant.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I would add that the law may be unconstitutional on the basis of equality under law since it only requires males to intervene. As you mentioned, given that police officers have no duty - per the courts rulings - to protect me then what duty do I really have to render aid to them?

I'm quite sure that someone will consider my words to be against police or against civil order or civic duty or the like. Not at all. Faced with the same situation I hope I would be as calm and helpful to this officer as the man who intervened. The fairness and wisdom of the law when police have no similar duty under the law is disconcerting. Forcing an unarmed and untrained individual with rights of his own to intervene or face 3 months in jail and a fine of $500 is not good law. If police are held to no higher standard than the public at large then why should the public at large be held to a higher standard than the police? It makes absolutely no sense and seems quite opposite of what should be.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I can see that, but I still think in both cases, the forces of order (and here I would include every able-bodied citizen as well as the police) should assist each other to the extent possible.
The crazy part is that a person in the commission of a crime assaults a responding police office and I render assistance which results in the bodily injury of the assailant, the assailant could probably find some lawyer to sue me for damages, and, depending on the jurisdiction, would probably win. In southwestern Virginia, such a person might get another butt-whoopin' just for filing such a suit, but in the lost portions of the state where the ausländer preponderate, such a suit would probably result in damages being awarded the assailant.

I'm not sure, but the purpose of the law may be to offer at least a veneer of civil protection to anyone who would help.

"But I had to help the officer, your Honor. It's the law."

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not sure, but the purpose of the law may be to offer at least a veneer of civil protection to anyone who would help.

"But I had to help the officer, your Honor. It's the law."
I sincerely doubt this, but at least laws like that are never twisted and used against the public.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.