Question: Who Replaces Reuben?

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I would say SDH primarily. But Evans is capable. I don't know Wilsons measurable comparison to Tim Williams but I would think he could contribute in that role. He seems to have the same drive and mentality. Just not sure that first step will be as quick.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
We need a vocal leader who not only gets guys pumped up but that can also bring them back down when necessary. Reub and EJ were so good at that. We've seen Ronnie be a hot head many times and sometimes Payne. Can't have ridiculous penalties cost us like they did in the Championship game. Gotta have someone with the clout to tell these guys to chill out.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The thread title is a bit misleading but I think the original sentiment is who becomes our "Alpha" middle LB (as opposed to leader of the defense). There are certainly a lot of great athletes already mentioned in this thread that will be outstanding in that role. But the big one to keep your eye on is Ben Davis. This guy is primed for a breakout year and he will get significant snaps - if not nailing down the starting job late in the season as our top "Alpha" IMHO.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The thread title is a bit misleading but I think the original sentiment is who becomes our "Alpha" middle LB (as opposed to leader of the defense). There are certainly a lot of great athletes already mentioned in this thread that will be outstanding in that role. But the big one to keep your eye on is Ben Davis. This guy is primed for a breakout year and he will get significant snaps - if not nailing down the starting job late in the season as our top "Alpha" IMHO.
Here's why I've torn with some of everyone's comments and many had valid point.

If you look at our depth chart back in August:
OLB: Tim Williams, Anfernee Jennings/Terrell Hall
OLB: Ryan Anderson, Christian Miller/Jamey Mosley
MLB: Reuben Foster, Rashaan Evans, Mack Wilson
MLB: Shaun Dion Hamilton, Keith Holcombe

Fast forward to 2017: On OLB, I expect to see Jennings, Mililer, hall and Buggs to see playing time.
MLB: Hamilton, Evans to take over the spot. Now the question who will back them up is going to be iprobably Davis/WIlson and Holcombe.

Now, many expects Davis to have big season, but remember Davis or Wilson may have to wait one more year to get a starting spot and that's very likely. I expect Davis and Wilson to back both guys up to prepare them for starting spot next year.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Now, many expects Davis to have big season, but remember Davis or Wilson may have to wait one more year to get a starting spot and that's very likely. I expect Davis and Wilson to back both guys up to prepare them for starting spot next year.
I suspect that you are dead on with this but I also know that Coach plays the players that give us the best chance for success. My comment is admittedly pure speculation but I think Davis is a boss. He redshirted to learn the defense and physically he is ready to dominate. We'll see but I say he will be the most improved player from last year and will turn some heads in the spring. I have been wrong many times in the past though :smile:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I suspect that you are dead on with this but I also know that Coach plays the players that give us the best chance for success. My comment is admittedly pure speculation but I think Davis is a boss. He redshirted to learn the defense and physically he is ready to dominate. We'll see but I say he will be the most improved player from last year and will turn some heads in the spring. I have been wrong many times in the past though :smile:
He redshirted because he had a really bad ankle sprain that took a long time to get right, and also cost him a lot of practice reps.

That said, Saban will play the guys who give us the best chance to win. No one keeps a spot without competition. Davis and/or Wilson could certainly make a big push for playing time

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.