New season, new coach

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
New optimism from me. Anybody around to get excited about baseball season again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
New optimism from me. Anybody around to get excited about baseball season again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am ready! I am cautious tho. Gonna see if the guys on hand were really good when they were recruited and they get coached up, or if we go the other way. CMG was known as a solid recruiter if memory serves correct. Dax was legit also, Phillips was the breakdown of that staff, unfortunately.

CGG is getting a ton of commits for next year and beyond, just makes me wonder. Basball recruiting is harder than others imo. To me level of competition says more than anything. If you hit .450 (yea, high but this is high school we are talking about...) against low 80's w no real change of pace, that is ok, but .375 against 90 with other change of pace pictches is a completly different story, that is a collge hitter. Then again, a pitcher that throws 90+ or has command of multiple pitches but may only throw 83-85 is easier to identify.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
I am ready! I am cautious tho. Gonna see if the guys on hand were really good when they were recruited and they get coached up, or if we go the other way. CMG was known as a solid recruiter if memory serves correct. Dax was legit also, Phillips was the breakdown of that staff, unfortunately.

CGG is getting a ton of commits for next year and beyond, just makes me wonder. Basball recruiting is harder than others imo. To me level of competition says more than anything. If you hit .450 (yea, high but this is high school we are talking about...) against low 80's w no real change of pace, that is ok, but .375 against 90 with other change of pace pictches is a completly different story, that is a collge hitter. Then again, a pitcher that throws 90+ or has command of multiple pitches but may only throw 83-85 is easier to identify.
I agree. I don't expect us to all of a sudden starting hitting .300+ as a team. I'm not expecting a miracle, but I do think we'll see a better approach at the plate, leading to a better K:BB ratio and OBP.

Ebay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2017
Is anyone on this forum able to provide insight as to how CGG ran the fall workouts, practices, etc. versus CMG? That could provide some idea of how the team's personality will be versus last year.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Is anyone on this forum able to provide insight as to how CGG ran the fall workouts, practices, etc. versus CMG? That could provide some idea of how the team's personality will be versus last year.
In talking to a current player on a regular basis, the feeling I get is the energy and mood is much better.... Hoping it will be like when Wells came in back in 95, went from a mess to a regional in 1 season. Al that said, not sure CGG is the long term answer....

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
In talking to a current player on a regular basis, the feeling I get is the energy and mood is much better.... Hoping it will be like when Wells came in back in 95, went from a mess to a regional in 1 season. Al that said, not sure CGG is the long term answer....
Very early for a statement like that, curious what that viewpoint is based upon.

Ebay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2017
My earlier post was a question to help me understand if the team was pushed harder this fall than in years past - are they bigger, stronger, faster, mentally tougher than they were last year based on a tougher attitude by CGG vs CMG. After a tough season in 2016, is there a reasonable expectation that CGG got more development out of them in fall 2016? Just curious about the change in attitude and philosophy and am hopeful there was a significant improvement. Its getting close - RTR!

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Well, you can coach your butt off and there still not be enough talent on the team to win at our level, and it wouldn't surprise me if this year's results were similar to what we have been seeing. Personally I think it's too much to expect this bunch to go from what we did last year in missing a regional with an rpi in the 40's (iirc), to being a good team on the level of the early Wells teams.

But one can always hope. The beauty of a blank slate is that we can all hope. And I do.

rtr

Ebay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2017
Bamanick: I agree about the beauty of a blank slate. I am also hopeful that CGG is recruiting a strong class but have no idea! He did do a heckuva a job at La Tech - turning that program into a regional player with 40+ wins. It took two years, though. Fingers crossed!

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Very early for a statement like that, curious what that viewpoint is based upon.
Just a feeling I get.... Some coaches will never be a long term answer. Think Buck Showalter before he got to Baltimore. Built the Yankees 1992-1995 they hire Torre and become a dynasty. Built the D-backs 1998-2000, leaves and they win the WS a year later. Took TX from a 71-89 win team in 2 seasons. In each case he wore out his welcome for various reasons.

I personally feel CGG is needed for many reasons after the last few years of CMG. Just not positive he is one who will be around in 5 or 6 years. That said, I expect a much more fundamentally sound team this year with a lot more energy. Not sure W-L will be the same but, won't be to coaching or effort.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.