Areas of Focus For Off-Season Improvement

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Looking to the 2017 season, I see a few areas we need to focus on in order to win championships, and I'm curious as to your thoughts. Mine are:

First and foremost, we have to get better passing. Jalen seemed to plateau on this front, starting about the 6th or 7th game. He just didn't get better.

I dont know if it was hitting a freshman wall, or other teams identifying ways to make him uncomfortable, or a lack of focus from the QB coach, or a lack of ability to see the field. I do know that arm strength isn't an issue. Regardless, IMO, this cost us the Clemson game, and if LSU had a QB, it could have cost us that one.

To win championships, we have to be a legitimate threat to pass. On top of which, we probably won't have the best defense not in the NFL to bail out an offense with one and a half dimensions. We're just not there today against truly top-flight defenses.

OL has to perform better.. We have talent. But with notable individual exceptions (J. Williams), we're under-performing that talent. Cam was good for at least two false starts a game. Pass protection up the middle could charitably be described as inconsistent. RG was a revolving door, and we never did get an effective answer there. The extremely late preseason shuffle of Pierschbacher to LG, elevating Bozeman to starting C, was a red flag. Early competition and Jalen's legs masked it, but late season elite competition ripped the mask off.

Kick return has to get better.. With all the talent we have at skill positions, I'm befuddled as to why our KR game is so ineffective.

Good thing the offense returns so many starters, because we lose a ton on the defense.

Defensive front seven has to be rebuilt.. Lots of talent there, but you just don't lose Allen, Tomlinson, Williams, Anderson, and Foster and not feel it.

Secondary needs to improve.. And I think it will. Averett was a pleasant surprise. Fitzpatrick returns, and we developed some depth out of necessity. I think we'll be better here. With a pass rush that will almost certainly take a step back, we'll need to.

Bottom Line: To beat elite teams, we badly need Jalen to develop as a passer. I don't think it's hyperbole to say whether we win championships or not hinges on this point. Improvement in the OL will be a part of that.

Defensively, we have talent, but also some big shoes to fill. Expect some growing pains early, but nobody will want to face this crew in November.

So sez me. What say you?

Last edited:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Agree on your points.

I don't know how you coach receivers to catch like Clemson's, but it is a shame to see the infrequent well-delivered throws being dropped by top-notch guys like Stewart and Ridley.

Our OL may improve. Cam is an NFL starter but he is "too good" for college, as in, all you can do is block your guy. A player who is 85% of Cam but does not false start twice a game could be an upgrade.

Many defenses seem to get more out of less talent, may be because they focus on being disruptive and unpredictable instead of smothering. I've read that opposing coaches pretty much know what Alabama is going to give them, it's just that the defense is played with such precision by superior talent. Going forward, I would give up a bit of smother for a bit more disruption. Not sure how Pruitt would implement that, but that's why he makes $2m.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
With FSU coming up in September, we will know quickly if the areas you mentioned will show improvement. Spring and fall will be very important.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
All we need is for each individual to take the next step. Most areas you're talking about are filled by guys who got a little playing time and will only get better with time to work on fundamentals. Plug in a corner, a right tackle, and a linebacker and hope they contribute.

Here's a question: Hypothetically, Tua comes in and unseats Jalen as the starter, does Jonah stay at right tackle instead of moving to left like many seem to think he will?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Agreed with kick returns. I doubt we have any of our regular returners are over 25 yards per return and are probably closer to 20 yards per. We have way to much team speed to not be better at kick returns.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
All we need is for each individual to take the next step. Most areas you're talking about are filled by guys who got a little playing time and will only get better with time to work on fundamentals. Plug in a corner, a right tackle, and a linebacker and hope they contribute.

Here's a question: Hypothetically, Tua comes in and unseats Jalen as the starter, does Jonah stay at right tackle instead of moving to left like many seem to think he will?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very much agree. I didn't think Damien Harris would have improved so much over the offseason and Averette really came on. R. Foster made great strides as well over the past few years. We have great coaches.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
1. Passing- I agree, but lot of that had to do with Kiffin and his poor job of developing Hurts. I expect Hurts to get with a coach in off season and work on few things, but I think we'll see a different Hurts by Fall Camp.

2. OL performance has been shaky every since Cristobol Came on board. Now that Brent Key is most likely to take over the whole OL line, I expect a huge improvement.

3. I wouldn't worry about DL Just yet. Linebackers
- Shaun Dion Hamilton
- Rashaan Evans
- Keith Holcombe
- Christian Miller ( in rotation)
- Anfernee Jennings ( already in rotation)
- Mack Wilson
- Ben Davis
- Dylan Moses
- Chris Allen
- VanDarius Cowan

Defensive Line
- Daron Payne
- Josh Frazier
- Raekwon Davis
- Jamar King
- O.J. Smith
- Da'Shawn Hand
- Terrell Hall ( hall and below are all beasts)
- Isaiah Buggs
- Quinnen Williams
That's so much potential and talent right there. Older players raved about them throughout the season. Everytime we hear that DL is weak or what not, they always perform well.

4. Secondary improved on what? We gave up play here and there. Lot of it was on Humphrey not turning around. WE got young players stepping in. Tony brown
Fitz
AA
D Thompson
Hootie
Carter
Mayden
Knott
Robinson
Townsend
McDonald
Wright
McKinney

5. Stewart averaged 20.1 yard on KO and Diggs averaged 23.7 as well.

So my point is that.. there's always gonna be something team needs to work on in offseason, and We lost the game against Clemson because Defense was on field for more than 99 plays and they were tired.

tidefan82

1st Team
Aug 16, 2000
Opp,Alabama,U.S.
Don't play hurry up offense against a team that plays hurry up. Give the defense some rest. Several times during the game we snapped the ball with several seconds left on the play clock.

pbearbryant

Scout Team
Nov 2, 2007
As long as Saban is maning the ship we will be in the chase just about every year.

I also believe if Bo hadn't broke his leg we would have beat Clemson despite some of the calls down the stretch of the 4th quarter.

Roll Tide

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Defensive Line
- Daron Payne
- Josh Frazier
- Raekwon Davis
- Jamar King
- O.J. Smith
- Da'Shawn Hand
- Terrell Hall ( hall and below are all beasts)
- Isaiah Buggs
- Quinnen Williams
That's so much potential and talent right there. Older players raved about them throughout the season. Everytime we hear that DL is weak or what not, they always perform.
Agree there's a lot of highly rated guys there, but out of that entire list only Payne played significant minutes this year. Even Hand was more of a spot duty guy this year so we're really short on experience for next year.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is kind of nitpicky but in game coaching adjustments and the use of timeouts. After the 1st Clemson "pick" play the coaches should have improvised so it wouldn't happen again, especially in the obvious situation at the end of the game on the goal line. Better overall use of timeouts. Again, these are nitpicky but I think the coaches can improve just as much as the players..

T Bone

1st Team
Hell i remember after last year all of the OMG we lost so much on defense....and look what happened....I trust coach, he seems to know what the hell he is doing. My job is to be a loyal fan and fly the crimson banner way up here in upstate NY just 2 hours south of the canadian border. I do my job ok, have even converted a few of these unwashed yankees to Alabama football............RTR............t

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My opinion - if you play as well next year as you did this year, you will win #17. Just don't drop off too much because of your losses on defense and you will be more than fine.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
[video]https://vine.co/v/5YvUdLaVjbv[/video]
Have you guys seen this clip? I was mentally prepared to put the loss behind me and start the conversion about next season, but this video felt line a gut punch. You could put big 94 up against any lineman in the nation and he would whip then 9/10 times. I hate seeing those Clemson linemen act like they just mauled a man that had been on the field for 80+ snaps and had nothing left at that point.

So to add something relitiv to this current thread, not only do we have to rebuild our defensive line and replace the studs we're losing, but we also have to emphasize building quality depth behind them. Lack of depth was an issue all season and it caught up to us on a night our defense couldn't get off the field.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
[video]https://vine.co/v/5YvUdLaVjbv[/video]
Have you guys seen this clip? I was mentally prepared to put the loss behind me and start the conversion about next season, but this video felt line a gut punch. You could put big 94 up against any lineman in the nation and he would whip then 9/10 times. I hate seeing those Clemson linemen act like they just mauled a man that had been on the field for 80+ snaps and had nothing left at that point.

So to add something relitiv to this current thread, not only do we have to rebuild our defensive line and replace the studs we're losing, but we also have to emphasize building quality depth behind them. Lack of depth was an issue all season and it caught up to us on a night our defense couldn't get off the field.
Yea, this clip was being passed around during/right after the game. Almost looks like Payne was concussed and blacked out for a moment. Purely a guess but something definitely doesn't look right. I'm not sure it was fatigue because even a fatigued player is able to move at the snap. He literally didn't move when the ball was snapped. Scary stuff..

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
Yea, this clip was being passed around during/right after the game. Almost looks like Payne was concussed and blacked out for a moment. Purely a guess but something definitely doesn't look right. I'm not sure it was fatigue because even a fatigued player is able to move at the snap. He literally didn't move when the ball was snapped. Scary stuff..
I wondered that too. It does look really awkward. After the Clemson lineman pushed himself up off of Payne's helmet, Payne made a gesture about it to the referee so it seems like he was aware of that at least

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Don't play hurry up offense against a team that plays hurry up. Give the defense some rest. Several times during the game we snapped the ball with several seconds left on the play clock.
Exactly..I hope we move back towards running a more Pro Style Offense we've become accustomed to at Bama & we regain an identity on offense of being a brutal rushing offense that will run the ball down your throat no matter if you crowd the LOS trying to stop us..

It compliments our usual stingy D the best by having a time consuming brutal rushing attack paired with it on the offensive side of the ball..

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Hell i remember after last year all of the OMG we lost so much on defense....and look what happened....I trust coach, he seems to know what the hell he is doing. My job is to be a loyal fan and fly the crimson banner way up here in upstate NY just 2 hours south of the canadian border. I do my job ok, have even converted a few of these unwashed yankees to Alabama football............RTR............t
What do you do up there? I really like the Adirondacks

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.