Timeouts

Cowtown Bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2007
I was begging for a timeout after the long catch in the second quarter. The defense had been dominant up that that point. There was less than 7 minutes in the half and it seemed inevitable that Clemson gained momentum and was about to score a td. Slow them down there and get regrouped and holding them to a field goal would have been huge.

Cowtown Bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2007
We used them to get the ball back at the end of the half but there was so little time it didn't matter. I understand not using them early in the second half. It just seemed like it could have slowed their momentum.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Football and basketball are different in multiple ways. Football coaches could take note of basketball coaches using timeouts to slow the opposing team's momentum.

When facing a team that goes HUNH like Clemson does, a timeout is not a bad thing when you can afford to use one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban has never used timeouts in the first half during his entire tenure at Bama, and you expect him to change now?
Every coach has his weaknesses, and Saban seems to have two. His timeout management appears to be nonexistent. If he has a plan for their use, it has never been made apparent through their use and he has never explained it. He also seems to be very reluctant to make in game adjustments. He trusts his preparation (probably because this is where he really separated himself), but when teams throw things at Alabama, or when it becomes obvious that things are not working in a game, adjustments are very slow to come and sometimes never materialize.

That said, it would take me a very long time to write out my list of weaknesses that I have noticed in Meyer, the second best head coach in the business right now.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If I were a coach in today's game i would not go into halftime in most cases holding timeouts regardless whether I had the lead or not. I view the extra time from first half timeouts as additional time to frame adjustments and additional time for the defense to rest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Cowtown Bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2007
I don't agree about the ability to make adjustments especially when it concerns the defense. Most Alabama games start with the opponent doing things on offense they haven't shown all year. They might score early. Alabama adjusts and the rest of the game is like watching a python play with its food. The Clemson game was an exception.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.