News Article: Authorities Investigating Video Showing Dog Chained to Trailer Driving 70 mph

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Florida again
Authorities in Florida have launched an investigation after a video emerged on Facebook of a dog chained to the top of a crate being towed by an SUV driving at least 70 mph.

Palm Coast resident Brenna Cronin, 24, shot the video Wednesday afternoon in Flagler County as she and her boyfriend were driving southbound on I-95 toward Daytona Beach. In the video, a dog is seen standing on top of the crate, which contained at least one other animal, while a Chevrolet Tahoe pulls the trailer at high speeds.

Cronin said she and her boyfriend were shocked to see the dog traveling in that manner, so she pulled out her video and began to film it.

"I was just completely outraged and appalled," she told ABC News Thursday. "I couldn't believe it."

Once the driver realized Cronin was filming him, he "gave me the finger," she said. Cronin said she is "happy" that the video she took led to an investigation of the owner.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/authoritie...dog-chained-trailer-driving/story?id=44741664

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
From the linked article:

Flagler Animal Services is investigating the video, said Jeffery Ritter, development coordinator for the Flagler Humane Society. The dog seen in the video is a Blue American Pitbull Terrier named Zeus, who does not like to ride in the crate, Ritter said. So his owner, who said he uses the dog for hunting, allows him to ride outside, Ritter said.

A Flagler County ordinance allows people to travel with a dog in that manner as long as the animal is tethered twice to the vehicle. Dogs being transported in the open bed of pickup trucks or any other type of open vehicle must either be confined to a pen or be restrained by a "minimum of two tethers or some other similar method to safely control or restrain the dogs from easily escaping the vehicles," No. 93-15 S 4, 11-15-93 of the Flagler County Code of Ordinances states.
Zeus was only tethered to the trailer once, Ritter said.
"The driver didn't have any bad intentions," he said. "...He honestly didn't know any better."
Zeus' owner is cooperating with the investigation and has agreed to allow animal services to conduct wellness checks, Ritter said.
Once the Humane Society wraps up the investigation, it will turn over its findings to the Flagler County Sheriff's Office, which will determine if a crime was committed, Flagler Police Chief Mark Strobridge told ABC News. At minimum, Zeus' owner faces a ticket and fine under the Flagler County Ordinance, Ritter said.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
If riding like that is good for the dog it should be good the owner. He should be chained to the cage like that and have to ride around at 70 MPH.

Poor dog.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
If riding like that is good for the dog it should be good the owner. He should be chained to the cage like that and have to ride around at 70 MPH.

Poor dog.
Most folks who ride bikes would say that driver of the Tahoe is chained in a cage driving down the road!

I am totally against the mistreatment of animals, but I really don't see this as something so heinous as to make news headlines.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I can't imagine a thought process that would lead me to believe tethering a dog in such a fashion was a good idea. Yet such idiots have multiple pets .... and likely multiple kids. Such a boon for society. :rolleyes:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I can't imagine a thought process that would lead me to believe tethering a dog in such a fashion was a good idea. Yet such idiots have multiple pets .... and likely multiple kids. Such a boon for society. :rolleyes:
A pit bull that flips his aggro switch when put in a cage might do it for me.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.