Special Story About Coach Saban(Recent and true)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
My son Josh has a nephew by marriage named Andrew, who lives in Atlanta.
Andrew is a typical 13 year old boy. He loves sports and actually made the Atlanta area select baseball team as a lefty pitcher. He is a huge Bama fan.
Unfortunately, since he was very young Andrew has battled severe kidney and stomach problems. He has had over 25 surgeries, most recently the week of the playoff semi-final in, of course, Atlanta.

The week of the game both Bama and Washington were visiting local hospitals.
Andrew was ecstatic about the chance to possibly meet Coach Saban.
As it turned out however, Washington visited Andrew's hospital while Bama visited another.
Andrew was extremely disappointed.
My son told his best friend what happened. That friend worked his way through college at Bama by working in the recruiting office. He gave Josh the email address of Coach Saban's secretary and told him he should write her and tell her what happened. Well, long story short Josh did indeed write.

About three days after Bama had defeated Washington a package was delivered to Andrew in the hospital. It was from Coach Saban. It contained a Bama cap and other Bama goodies, an autographed picture of Coach Saban that said "Roll Tide Andrew! Be Strong" Nick Saban"...and finally it contained..........two tickets to the national championship game.

That week Andrew was released from his hospital on Thursday and he and his Dad flew to Tampa to enjoy the game. It didn't turn out the way he wanted of course but he was thrilled to death to get the package and the tickets.

Coach Saban is a great football coach but the size of his heart often goes un-noticed by many. I wanted to post this so all could know how good of a person our coach really is.

RTR!

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Coach Saban "ain't nothing but a winner."
What a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Good story. I've felt for a long time that Coach Saban had a soft spot for people. He proved it to me after what he did in the aftermath of the tornado that struck the Tuscaloosa area in 2011. Most recently I could tell he was really moved by Eddie Jackson's letter to the team. The story you mention here is more confirmation. Coach Saban is not just a good coach, he's a good man.

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
What a great story. I'm sure Coach does a lot more than a lot of people will ever know. People always said the same thing about Coach Bryant. We are lucky to have had the two best of all time.

Last edited:

crawff74

Dec 19, 2016
I for one am not surprised at all. What has expressing contempt for lazy, uninformed sportwriters have to do with the quallity of the man. Coach Saban has always struck me as passionate about responsibillity and compassionate when it comes to people. Someone referenced the post tornado stories but I bet there are hundreds of stories like this one we will never hear.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.