News Article: Bill Battle Stepping Down; Greg Byrne Coming to UA

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: BIll Battle stepping aside? (Cecil Hurt tweet)

The role of ADs has changed a great deal over the last decade or so, and Byrne seems to fit the mold of the modern AD. Great at relationship building and fund raising, but without the huge ego. These jobs are huge now, and being able to build strong teams and delegate has become more critical than the ability to choose coaches.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

First, thanks to Bill Battle for agreeing to come over when Mama called.

As others have said, a home run hire. He's young, knows the landscape, and (I think) he understands the culture here. Some very critical decisions--that could have far reaching effects for years if not decades-- will probably be made under his watch.

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Hopefully early in his agenda he will address Coleman Coliseum and hopefully plan for a new arena.

Time to move forward, and Byrne Coleman;)

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Re: Bill Battle Stepping Down; Greg Byrne Reportedly Coming to UA

Great hire. Hate that Coach BB has to retire but can't blame him. He really stepped up for the Capstone because he loves UA. He certainly didn't need the job but like with all things BB he gave 1000%!!!

Thanks Coach and enjoy retirement with that terrific wife of yours!!!

Roll Tide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Great hire and wish Mr. Battle a restful retirement and good health.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I thought his name was familiar; his father, Bill Byrne, was the AD at TAMU from 2003-2012. He was also AD at Nebraska from 1992-2003.

Last edited:

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

Shoot! I chatted with the Battles on the way to Tampa and got a big hug on their way out. Looking back now I guess that was their good-bye to me and my crew. :(

They glowed when speaking of his health and how well he has been doing. Maybe it was a glow of relief knowing this was their final big event. I know one thing. The Battles are CRIMSON through and through, and I'm thankful and grateful for all they've done for Alabama. Coach Bryant would be so proud. :hurray:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I think it was pretty obvious that Battle was a short term hire, he lasted quite a while considering the circumstances though. I don't know much about Greg Byrne, but he seems to have the resume and has some knowledge of the SEC. I imagine he'll do a fine job.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Thanks Coach for all you have done for UA! You stepped in at a time when your alma mater needed you.

I only wish you could have left with another NC.

I do remember when you left West End High School to go to UA and saw one of the TD passes you caught while at UA.

Enjoy your retirement.

RTR!!!!!!!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ith-new-alabama-athletic-director-greg-byrne/

"I want everyone to know that my health was not a factor in this decision as, at this time, I am in full remission and I feel great," Battle said in the statement. "When I came here in 2013, I committed to [former chancellor] Dr. [Robert] Witt that I would be here for four years, or the equivalent of another college degree. Last summer, before my medical procedure, I told Dr. Bell that I was expecting, as were my doctors, to come through that procedure very well, and that I intended to serve out the last year of my contract."

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Shoot! I chatted with the Battles on the way to Tampa and got a big hug on their way out. Looking back now I guess that was their good-bye to me and my crew. :(

They glowed when speaking of his health and how well he has been doing. Maybe it was a glow of relief knowing this was their final big event. I know one thing. The Battles are CRIMSON through and through, and I'm thankful and grateful for all they've done for Alabama. Coach Bryant would be so proud. :hurray:
Excellent post there.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Thanks Coach for all you have done for UA! You stepped in at a time when your alma mater needed you.

I only wish you could have left with another NC.

I do remember when you left West End High School to go to UA and saw one of the TD passes you caught while at UA.

Enjoy your retirement.

RTR!!!!!!!
Glad we could get the UT stink off of him with a CFPCG confetti bathing over him in 2015! :D

Scottbama555

Mar 29, 2016

So what replaces the "Battle Plan" could be the "Byrne Notice".

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

We seem to have the right kind of basketball coach and AD-elect to make a big push for a new dedicated men's basketball arena. I wonder if Byrne will stay out of the football program's way other than stamping the checks and focus his energy on a new, more intimate arena that doesn't have a bad seat in the house. Byrne is a noted fundraiser and CAJ seems to have the right personality to be the face for that effort. I know people who are boosters who have a really high opinion of Coach Johnson. He seems to understand the job and the necessity to rub elbows when coaching college. Furthermore, I think CAJ is about one season from really having something going here and a new arena project could be the sugar to solidify his commitment for the medium/long-term.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Just as I figured. I think several of the schools around us have been going the new dedicated basketball route instead of Coleman's multi-purpose arena approach. Something feels like Duke or Kansas' arena would be fabulous and I hope that is exactly what we do instead of creating a cavernous multi-purpose mistake again.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Re: Greg Byrne will be announced as Alabama's new Athletics Director? (Twitter Report

Wow!.....Stunning news. Mal Moore was a great AD for Bama and Bill Battle has done an outstanding job taking on a job he didn't necessarily want. Now Byrne...outstanding hire!

Totally agree. Bill Battle was always a stop gap measure following the death of Mal Moore. Bill reluctantly took the AD job for the good of the university but he did not want it to be a long term appointment. I'm not familiar with Greg Byrne so we'll see what he does. Good luck to him and trust he keeps the University of Alabama's best interests in mind.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Thank you to Coach Battle for his service. I had the privilege of sitting right behind him last year at the women's NCAA gymnastics championship in Forth Worth and he was extremely approachable. (My uncle played against him in HS and with him at BAMA and he asked about him and his grandson playing college ball. I was pretty impressed he knew where he was playing.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.