News Article: Bill Battle Stepping Down; Greg Byrne Coming to UA

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Greg Byrne will be announced as Alabama's new Athletics Director? (Twitter Report)

Saw a tweet below that "Guess Greg's interview with Nick Saban went well." Lol

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
BIll Battle stepping aside? (Cecil Hurt tweet)

Bill Battle will step aside as Alabama athletic director this week, The News has learned. Details coming at Tidesports.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: BIll Battle stepping aside? (Cecil Hurt tweet)

Bill Battle will step aside as Alabama athletic director this week, The News has learned. Details coming at Tidesports.com

Well, if it's Cecil, it's good 99.9% of the time...

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Re: Greg Byrne will be announced as Alabama's new Athletics Director? (Twitter Report

Wow!.....Stunning news. Mal Moore was a great AD for Bama and Bill Battle has done an outstanding job taking on a job he didn't necessarily want. Now Byrne...outstanding hire!

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
Re: Greg Byrne will be announced as Alabama's new Athletics Director? (Twitter Report

Home run hire

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Home run hire

I didn't know we were looking for a new AD...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Don't know much about Byrne. Hope he does a great job. Thanks to Bill Battle for not just stepping in when his school needed him but for the outstanding job he did as AD. I wish him many years of good health.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Byrne hired Mullen to Mississippi State, RichRod to Arizona. He's well respected in his ability to increase revenue. More of a businessman than the former-coach archetype. Good hire, has shown a good eye for hiring head football coaches (might be a necessary skill given Saban is likely closer to going to the house today than he was when Battle got here around 4 years ago).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

UT hasn't filled their AD spot for 6 months and Bama fills it before it's open with a home run.
Just a hunch, I think Mr. Battle was instrumental in this transition and the University may have been canvassing a replacement for just as long.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I'm betting they've been looking behind the scenes for a while. With Battle's health and age, he probably let them know he didn't want the job any longer.

Interesting Byrne does not seem to have an athletic or coaching background. I think this is a first for us, at least in the post-Bryant era. I think this will be a good thing for us in the long run. I just hope he doesn't call the last coach he hired when Saban retires.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Byrne hired Mullen to Mississippi State, RichRod to Arizona. He's well respected in his ability to increase revenue. More of a businessman than the former-coach archetype. Good hire, has shown a good eye for hiring head football coaches (might be a necessary skill given Saban is likely closer to going to the house today than he was when Battle got here around 4 years ago).
Agree, think Byrne is an excellent hire.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.