Mike Locksley promoted to full-time on-field offensive assistant position and Co-OC

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Full Press Release

"We are excited to add Mike Locksley to our staff as an assistant coach on the offensive side of the football," Saban said. "He is an outstanding offensive mind who brings a wealth of knowledge and experience as both a head coach and offensive coordinator. Mike is also one of the best recruiters in the nation and will be an excellent addition to our staff. His time as an analyst with us over the past season should also ensure a smooth transition and a full understanding of how our organization operates."

During his time as Maryland's offensive coordinator, the Terrapins produced balanced and effective results. The 2013 offense eclipsed 5,000 yards of total offense for only the fourth time in program history, while accounting for 3,231 yards passing (third most all-time). In Maryland's debut season in the Big Ten, the offense averaged the most points in the past four seasons.
No word on the specific offensive position. He has coached all over on both sides of the ball. Could be anything from Co-OC to position coach. Might be contingent on further attrition. For example, I'd bet on him going to WRs if Napier departs. We're gaining a 10th on-field position this year too, so expect more announcements.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Mike Locksley promoted to full-time on-field offensive assistant position

That would be huge. I don't nkow if Billy Napier would leave... his opportunity to leave was few weeks ago.. unless it's after NSD.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I kinda think he may end up being a Co-OC as a contingency considering Sarkisian's battles with addiction. But what do I know?! hah

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Saban already has a back-up plan in place for Sark. Hopefully it is not needed because Sark is an amazing OC. Hope he keeps it together.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Saban already has a back-up plan in place for Sark. Hopefully it is not needed because Sark is an amazing OC. Hope he keeps it together.
I don't know, the man didn't do any favors for himself the way that Championship game played out on the offensive side of the ball, I'm really hoping he turns that "amazing" on.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I may be wrong, but have we ever had co-offensive coordinators before? I don't think we have but not sure. I wonder what this means. I know Saban has a plan. I just hope Sark will stay healthy.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I may be wrong, but have we ever had co-offensive coordinators before? I don't think we have but not sure. I wonder what this means. I know Saban has a plan. I just hope Sark will stay healthy.
It is a title thing. Coach is showing Mike how much he means to us by staying and that he is next in line to lead the offense if necessary.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I'm not entirely sure that he'll be a lock to replace sark, if something were happen to him good or bad. It depends on offensive analyst hire and who that person is... Let's say... What if it was a former OC from NFL or other team that has good track record??!??

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama

Major Applewhite and Joe Pendry we co-OC's I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003

You don't remember when Dubose tried that? Nightmare.

This is different.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

You don't remember when Dubose tried that? Nightmare.

This is different.
Yeah. Charlie Stubbs was brought in after the first year as a "passing coordinator" after Neil Callaway stunk it up. The offense got better, mainly due to Stubbs' influence. Callaway was allowed to keep the OC title mainly because he was friends with DuBose.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Yeah. Charlie Stubbs was brought in after the first year as a "passing coordinator" after Neil Callaway stunk it up. The offense got better, mainly due to Stubbs' influence. Callaway was allowed to keep the OC title mainly because he was friends with DuBose.
I was in a County courthouse doing a title search on the Friday before the '99 SECCG. All the talk was about the game and as usual I was just listening. Finally one of the other paralegals who knew I was a Bama fan asked my opinion of the game. I told them it all depended on which coach had control of the game plan and if that coach was Stubbs then Bama would blow them out of the Dome. I was nearly laughed out of the courthouse because Florida had not been blown out of any game in the previous four years.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Pendry and Applewhite were no shining example of the "co-thingy" either...
Only Nick Saban himself could convince me that Applewhite's departure was not along these lines: Mack Brown calls him about Muschamp. Saban gives an OK to Muschamp and tells Brown, while getting Muschamp out of his hair, how about taking his boy Applewhite off his hands. Muschamp and Applewhite hit Austin at the same time.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe this has nothing to do with Sark's issues. I didn't see it as a backup plan. Travis Reier points out he might have gotten the title to get him to stay and not go to Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Only Nick Saban himself could convince me that Applewhite's departure was not along these lines: Mack Brown calls him about Muschamp. Saban gives an OK to Muschamp and tells Brown, while getting Muschamp out of his hair, how about taking his boy Applewhite off his hands. Muschamp and Applewhite hit Austin at the same time.
What actually happened was that Applewhite went to Saban's office and demanded to have the entire offense turned over solely to him or he'd leave. Well... ;)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I don't like the sound of the whole co-oc thing, but it's hard to imagine Sark not really being given control of the offense. I'm hoping that this was mainly a title/promotion to keep Locksley around and that he now is an even more foolproof backup plan for Sark.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.