News Article: The Willie Taggart Era is Off to a Great Start in Oregon as 3 Players Hospitalized

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well, I've made the walls sweat before. It is no fun and mostly useless for any actual gains in physical development. It is a psychological tool and nothing more to smoke people like that workout/practice described in the article. It is one thing when you're building soldiers, sailors, marines, or airmen but this is just football gimme a break...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Hate that it happened, sounds like someone went a little overboard. But good news is Coach Taggart has plans to ensure his guys are in shape. Could have been worse, could have been handing out ice cream cones and playing Uno.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It sounds like some of the problem was the last program's dedication to player development. I still think it is borderline idiotic to do something like this in January. Shouldn't the point be to get them to camp mostly healthy then break them down like this with their position coaches around keeping a close eye on their effort? They're gonna be a scholarship for this semester no matter what, so whats to gain by breaking guys in January?

I kinda get where Taggert is going: he's trying to separate those who are there for the nike swag from the football players. But from a modern S&C and preparation approach, what he's doing makes no sense at all.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I see no humor or "coaches will be coaches" in this, and he went a lot further than "a little too far." This condition is not easy to induce, and, once induced, it can frequently be fatal if not treated promptly...

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
I tend to see this as in the middle. Coaches prolly went to far, well obviously someone did if nothing else by not reading the situation properly and letting it get to that point! But, there is no way anyone has watched Oregon football over the past couple of years and can assume these players have been prepared for football, which is a hard and tough sport!

Hope coach finds himself in the middle by learning from this situation, but at the same time to keep on preparing these kids for football. Oregon needs it and will be better served for it!

Isnt this kinda the same as a certain movie from Texas A&M back in the day, it's just 2017?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I see no humor or "coaches will be coaches" in this, and he went a lot further than "a little too far." This condition is not easy to induce, and, once induced, it can frequently be fatal if not treated promptly...
It is really kind of scary too. I wonder how many kids will see this and decide against signing with them in a couple of weeks. Mommas may not look at this and say Oregon is a place they want their child to play.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It is really kind of scary too. I wonder how many kids will see this and decide against signing with them in a couple of weeks. Mommas may not look at this and say Oregon is a place they want their child to play.
Interesting. That was one of my first thoughts also. How many moms are going to want to face visiting a son in ICU because of a FB program? I don't know who ordered the insanity, the HC or the S&C guy, but whoever's responsible had better wake up...

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
They do get to wear flashy hospital gowns provided by Nike when they are in ICU. So the ducks have that going for them.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I would imagine coach Cochran's off season program is about as hard as it comes, based on what the players say. To my knowledge, this has never happened at Bama. My point is no matter how soft or out of shape these Oregon guys are, the S&C coach has to know their limits, it's part of his responsibility . He should go.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
This is crazy. Rhabdo is NOT something you easily get into. It's from repeated intense folk body "burn outs" over a period of time. You don't just "happen upon" this issue from a single intense without, no matter how hardcore. There was an alarming spike in this condition amongst the crossfit circuit several years ago. It's not a joke and medically speaking, these individuals will not EVER be 100% of what they were prior to the injury. This isn't my opinion, but fact. And similar to any extreme weather condition, they'll be that much more susceptible to it in the future

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Wonder if this is one of those situations common when pushing a university employee out the door: put him on administrative leave, ask for his resignation or execute the termination process.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.