News Article: The Willie Taggart Era is Off to a Great Start in Oregon as 3 Players Hospitalized

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
There may be more to this than meets the eye.

If Bama could go from the Shula era to the Scott Cochran era of S&C without hospitalization then there's never any need.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
What leads you to suspect this? How would PED use be linked to the condition these players succumbed to?
Some PED's are known to induce rhabdo. You have to consider that even in the pitiful shape that Oregon was as a team this season that S&C did not stop and these players recently finished a season of play. I find it hard to believe that anything resembling a "normal" workout for this level of player would induce rhabdo in these players. So either PED's that induce rhabdo were involved as a shortcut and/or the workouts went VERY far beyond the "normal" for this level of play.

Again, not saying it did happen, but I wouldn't be surprised.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There may be more to this than meets the eye.

If Bama could go from the Shula era to the Scott Cochran era of S&C without hospitalization then there's never any need.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. If we can go from ice cream cones and optional off-season participation being truly optional to Cochran without putting guys in the ER then it isn't necessary anywhere.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
That's kinda what I'm thinking. If we can go from ice cream cones and optional off-season participation being truly optional to Cochran without putting guys in the ER then it isn't necessary anywhere.
I agree. I am thankful we were able to retain Cochran last year. He's the best in the business. He pushes the players to the edge without hurting them. I've read numerous times over the years where he even limits some players that want to go further when he thinks it is not in their best interest.

I posted before the NC game in another thread that Taggart was on one of the panels discussing the game. When asked about Bama's defense he said "they looked like mutants". I can't help but think that he (and others out there) want to try to get their programs to where Bama is conditioning wise. Sounds like he just needs to find a better s&c staff.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In a somewhat strange turn, some Oregon players are taking up for the S&C coach on social media while calling out the injured players for being out of shape. Link

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Some PED's are known to induce rhabdo. You have to consider that even in the pitiful shape that Oregon was as a team this season that S&C did not stop and these players recently finished a season of play. I find it hard to believe that anything resembling a "normal" workout for this level of player would induce rhabdo in these players. So either PED's that induce rhabdo were involved as a shortcut and/or the workouts went VERY far beyond the "normal" for this level of play.

Again, not saying it did happen, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Add a beta agonist and you have a real witch's brew...

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
In a somewhat strange turn, some Oregon players are taking up for the S&C coach on social media while calling out the injured players for being out of shape. Link
That is just sad. I can understand them wanting to take up for a coach they like but why must the put down their teammates that were hospitalized?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It is the coach's responsibility to know when to say when.
Yep. The players calling the three players very well might be right about the them being out of shape. But that doesn't matter. It's the S&C job to keep things like this from happening.

I remember during college being sent home for the off season/summer with a workout program in my hand. I was expected to follow the program and be able to pass a conditioning test when we returned from break. The conditioning test was very rigorous but if you followed the off season workout program you should be able to complete it. We had guys halfway through the conditioning test falling out, vomiting, dry heaving etc. Strangely enough it was the guys who didn't follow the offseason workout program.

The scary thing for the S&C coach, if any one of those guys would have had something medically happen to them from that conditioning test they would have been held responsible.It's a fine line that I'm glad I'm not responsible for.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.