Crazy Stat About Alabama's Opponents Over Last Two Seasons

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Someone correct me if this is wrong. I saw it on Twitter, and the guy said the original chart is on TiderInsider.

In the last two years, Alabama's 30 opponents have passed 944 times and rushed 1,002 times. In those 1,946 plays, they've been called for holding 9 times (4 runs and 5 passes).

I checked the stats. Alabama's defense had 226 TFLs and 106 sacks in those 30 games.

How absurd is that?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I don't know how accurate it is but I would believe it's close to that number for sure. Referees have clearly decided to handicap our defense and allow holding on them and even if it's just with the thought that it will make for more entertaining tv it's still not right. I see our OL get flagged when they blatantly hold a few times in a game and then on the other side our guys will be getting wrapped up and mugged all day long with nothing.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Ref's are human and Humans either conciously or unconciously allow emotions to effect their judgement. It happens every day in every walk of life and profession. In the end Alabama is Darth Vader, everyone roots against us and always will as long as we are the Alpha Dog. To win we have to dominate, not just meet the competition.

It sux but that's the price we pay for playing for and winning championships.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Seems like a grossly low number, but the only way to show the true disparity is to know/show what other top teams stats in this dept. were.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Seems like a grossly low number, but the only way to show the true disparity is to know/show what other top teams stats in this dept. were.
That's what I was about to say. If these numbers are on par with Ohio State, Florida State, Clemson etc then we don't have much to complain about..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You're right. If I have time this week, I'll try to look at the other playoff teams from the last two seasons and compare.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's what I was about to say. If these numbers are on par with Ohio State, Florida State, Clemson etc then we don't have much to complain about..
I know that OSU is always in the same bucket - our opponents get fewer penalties called when they play us than in other games that they play, and (along with Alabama) our opponents get the fewest penalties called. Not sure about Clemson or FSU.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm pretty sure I recall at least 9 times the last 2 seasons that our Defensive players were straight tackled and holding was not called. The number of the plain 'grab'em by the jersey and not let go' variety has got to be in the dozens maybe approaching 100+ times.

I've seen blatant holding going on at least 3-4 times a game on average w/o it being called. It's ridiculous.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I can't speak specifically to holding penalties but I looked at opponent penalties in general over the last two seasons. Here's where it stands among playoff teams:
Clemson was ranked 30th
Alabama was ranked 91
Ohio State was ranked 110

I also looked at Alabama opponent penalties from 2003-2016. From 2003-2009 Alabama ranked 46th in opponent penalties but from 2010-2016 Alabama dropped all the way to 96th in opponent penalties. We know the 2010 season was right after Coach Saban's first NC at Bama so that's when the officials started treating us differently.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I know that OSU is always in the same bucket - our opponents get fewer penalties called when they play us than in other games that they play, and (along with Alabama) our opponents get the fewest penalties called. Not sure about Clemson or FSU.
Clemson #4
FSU #46
tOSU #118
Bama #128

College Football Stats - College FB Team Opponent Penalties per Game on TeamRankings.com

Edit: NCG was right on target. They called one more (9) than Clemson's average (8) on Bama and they called one less (3) than Bama's average (4) on Clemson. :rolleyes:

Penalties3-359-82

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I can't speak specifically to holding penalties but I looked at opponent penalties in general over the last two seasons. Here's where it stands among playoff teams:
Clemson was ranked 30th
Alabama was ranked 91
Ohio State was ranked 110

I also looked at Alabama opponent penalties from 2003-2016. From 2003-2009 Alabama ranked 46th in opponent penalties but from 2010-2016 Alabama dropped all the way to 96th in opponent penalties. We know the 2010 season was right after Coach Saban's first NC at Bama so that's when the officials started treating us differently.
I knew Saban was a bad hire.:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.