Why Alabama is in good shape with the secondary

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Read here

Averett staying in school is a big deal.
Losing him would have left the Tide needing to replace both of its starting cornerbacks -- Humphrey and Averett. Instead, Alabama appears to be in very good shape secondary-wise heading into next season, even after losing Humphrey.
Averett, who NFL draft analysts believe could have been as high as a second-round draft pick had he turned pro, will be back. So will safety Ronnie Harrison, cornerback Tony Brown, safety/dime back Hootie Jones and All-American Minkah Fitzpatrick, who has proven capable of excelling at cornerback, nickel back and safety.
Wow! There was so many people thought he would be 5th round or later pick. We are blessed to have him back for another year. Sounds like if he have a good year, He could be a 1st round pick.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: Why Alabama is in good shape with secondary

Read here

Wow! There was so many people thought he would be 5th round or later pick. We are blessed to have him back for another year. Sounds like if he have a good year, He could be a 1st round pick.
Keeping Averett was big. I am not worried about the back end but front 7 is going to have some holes to fill but we have amazing talent to do it with.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Will Averett's size hold him back a tad in the NFL draft? He seems a little bit on the small side though he is probably in the size range where his other physical abilities carry much more weight in the minds of NFL scouts. Maybe he can add a few more pounds during this next year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Will Averett's size hold him back a tad in the NFL draft? He seems a little bit on the small side though he is probably in the size range where his other physical abilities carry much more weight in the minds of NFL scouts. Maybe he can add a few more pounds during this next year.
He is listed at 6' and 183 lbs. That is about average for a NFL CB height wise and a little underweight. It would be good to see him get into the 190 lb range.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Your secondary will be amazing, but it always comes down to the trenches.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think the secondary will be elite. The inside backers could be really good depending on SDH's recovery and Mack Wilson's growth. The biggest questions are the OLBs and DL.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

He is listed at 6' and 183 lbs. That is about average for a NFL CB height wise and a little underweight. It would be good to see him get into the 190 lb range.
I think you're right. Probably need to be in 190 to 195 range, but the good thing about it is that he can probably do that after the season in which he'll go to NFL Draft and gain 5 pounds... which shouldn't be that hard.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I think the secondary will be elite. The inside backers could be really good depending on SDH's recovery and Mack Wilson's growth. The biggest questions are the OLBs and DL.
It's not a bad problem to have. Every year we seem to ask question about DL, and it usually turn out pretty well the last three years. I think Evans stays there with Hamilton but occasionally will slide over to OLB time to time.. ( on 3rd down he might move to olb spot) so that's pretty good opportunity for young people to step in and getting in quality playing time.

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008

This is my personal observation.

Before 2013 when pruitt left, we never have struggled in the secondary. Now he has back. We should be fine as long as he stays.

On the other hand, smart is relatively good at coaching and recruiting on D-Line/Front 7.

It's not a bad problem to have. Every year we seem to ask question about DL, and it usually turn out pretty well the last three years. I think Evans stays there with Hamilton but occasionally will slide over to OLB time to time.. ( on 3rd down he might move to olb spot) so that's pretty good opportunity for young people to step in and getting in quality playing time.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

This is my personal observation.

Before 2013 when pruitt left, we never have struggled in the secondary. Now he has back. We should be fine as long as he stays.

On the other hand, smart is relatively good at coaching and recruiting on D-Line/Front 7.

Bo Davis Coached the DLine before he left. Dunbar did great job with DL line as well. Just know that both of these guys did some recruiting on D line.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006

Brent Grimes has had a really good career. Averett sticks to the receivers pretty well, but like to see a couple snags next year with his instincts

T Bone

1st Team

I remember the lamenting about the D-line last year after the talent we lost............Coach has got this.........i feel good about our future and its BRIGHT......(putting on my ray bans)..................t

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Brent Grimes has had a really good career. Averett sticks to the receivers pretty well, but like to see a couple snags next year with his instincts
I agree but Grimes wasn't drafted. I think Averett will be drafted but he may be behind some corners who NFL scouts think are just as or nearly as good athletically but have an inch or two and a few pounds over Averett. Some scouts put more emphasis on size than others but talented "big" corners are rare and in demand.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I agree but Grimes wasn't drafted. I think Averett will be drafted but he may be behind some corners who NFL scouts think are just as or nearly as good athletically but have an inch or two and a few pounds over Averett. Some scouts put more emphasis on size than others but talented "big" corners are rare and in demand.
Anthony Averett was projected 2nd round this year... so next year if he keeps doing what he's supposed to be doing, He will go in 1st round.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Don't forget he's also the fastest guy on the team. might be a tad lighter than the prototype, but if he were to go to the combine and run close to what they reported at 'Bama he'd be in the top 10 fastest times recorded and he'll get a TON of looks just for that. I'd also expect him to get good numbers in the vertical and broad jump since he was all-state in similar events in HS. If he gets a really good vertical that will go a long ways toward reducing any angst teams have with him only being 6'.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

This lead to a different topic: I wonder if Tony Brown, Anthony Averett and freshmen such as Mayden, Knott and others will run track this spring?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Really think Humphrey should have stayed another year to fine tune his skills.
Maybe so but when you are projected top 10-15 you have to go and get the money. He has all the physical traits you look for. Would be bad if something like what happened to Jaylon Smith happened.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.