A look at B1G "star" stats

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have only concentrated on national ranking in the past but this year I am looking at the stars too. It is a glaring stat. No wonder the B1G West can seldom win the B1G CG. Over the last five years we have:

B1G East
OSU ..............5 five stars and 80 four stars.
Michigan ........3 five stars and 59 four stars.
Penn State .....2 five stars and 30 four stars.

B1G West
Iowa .............0 five stars and 4 four stars.
Wisconsin.......0 five stars and 13 four stars.

Every B1G West team is primarily a three star team playing four star teams. No wonder Nebraska fans are disappointed every year.

I never realized how poorly Iowa recruits until I looked at this.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I have only concentrated on national ranking in the past but this year I am looking at the stars too. It is a glaring stat. No wonder the B1G West can seldom win the B1G CG. Over the last five years we have:

B1G East
OSU ..............5 five stars and 80 four stars.
Michigan ........3 five stars and 59 four stars.
Penn State .....2 five stars and 30 four stars.

B1G West
Iowa .............0 five stars and 4 four stars.
Wisconsin.......0 five stars and 13 four stars.

Every B1G West team is primarily a three star team playing four star teams. No wonder Nebraska fans are disappointed every year.

I never realized how poorly Iowa recruits until I looked at this.
What about Nebraska? :cool2:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Consider the talent in those home states. Then, consider the national brand of Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. Which one is able to recruit nationally?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not the B1G, but I've heard Auburn fans complain that we have more 5 stars on our roster than the entire rest of the SEC combined. Is that even close to being true?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not the B1G, but I've heard Auburn fans complain that we have more 5 stars on our roster than the entire rest of the SEC combined. Is that even close to being true?
Going by 247's rankings, Alabama has signed 18 since 2013 with 4 in the 2017 class. Alabama has seen two (Barnett and Sheffield) transfer.

The other 13 teams in the SEC have signed 40 players since 2013 with four in the 2017 class. An additional five players have either transferred or been dismissed from those 13 teams.

IOW, it's a load of crap.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Pretty eye popping when you just look at it on paper. But then again when it comes to Brand recognition it makes sense. What I STILL can't get use to is Nebraska being in the Big Ten instead of the Big 12 or the previous Big 8. It doesn't feel right with them not playing Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Okla St, Kansas St etc.

I grew up with them winning 10+ games and playing in the Orange, Fiesta, or Sugar Bowl every year. They always seemed to be involved in EPIC Bowl games against either Miami or FSU. Lots of time the NC or a piece of it was on the line. I have always respected that team and am nostalgic about that period of college football. Doesn't seem right that they are mediocre now and playing Big Ten teams and not running that Triple Option.

But to circle back around....why can't Nebraska field talented teams anymore? They were world beaters through 2001. Since they've just disappeared from the national landscape. But they have a major pedigree and should be able to recruit and dominate the Big 10.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Pretty eye popping when you just look at it on paper. But then again when it comes to Brand recognition it makes sense. What I STILL can't get use to is Nebraska being in the Big Ten instead of the Big 12 or the previous Big 8. It doesn't feel right with them not playing Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Okla St, Kansas St etc.

I grew up with them winning 10+ games and playing in the Orange, Fiesta, or Sugar Bowl every year. They always seemed to be involved in EPIC Bowl games against either Miami or FSU. Lots of time the NC or a piece of it was on the line. I have always respected that team and am nostalgic about that period of college football. Doesn't seem right that they are mediocre now and playing Big Ten teams and not running that Triple Option.

But to circle back around....why can't Nebraska field talented teams anymore? They were world beaters through 2001. Since they've just disappeared from the national landscape. But they have a major pedigree and should be able to recruit and dominate the Big 10.
The reality - they can still recruit big uglies just as they always have, but that kind of football player is not well suited to today's elite college football. They need high level athletes, not big, strong guys. There just aren't enough of the former in state, and they have no recruiting base outside of their state.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

Nebraska used to win by recruiting local farm boys and feeding them steroids for five years. By the time these kids were fifth year seniors they were monsters. It is not kosher to do that any more.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The reality - they can still recruit big uglies just as they always have, but that kind of football player is not well suited to today's elite college football. They need high level athletes, not big, strong guys. There just aren't enough of the former in state, and they have no recruiting base outside of their state.
Yes, the University of Iowa has a good number of NFL players but they are more linemen, tight ends and linebackers.

I think it is especially hard for a lineman to be rated a 5-star coming of high school. I don't know if this is case for defining the number of stars or not but I remember years ago that the number of stars were used by some to indicate how quickly a player would have an impact in the college game or something to that effect. If this it is still used this way, linemen will rarely be expected to have an impact as early as skill players. Linemen usually have more gains to make in the strength department and some of it has to come through additional maturity of the body.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

In addition to recruiting, Nebraska has been on the changing head coach carousel. The last really good head coach they had was Frank Solich who they ran out of town.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.