Awful Announcing accuses CNS of pulling schollies

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
The pretext of all this is Randy Edsall, but this passage was really weird:

"[FONT=&quot]Finebaum then goes on to say “Nick Saban’s been doing this from the first day,” and there certainly have been plenty of criticisms of Saban [/FONT]for oversigning[FONT=&quot] and pulling scholarships late (in some cases, after players had already moved into dorms). Those are perhaps even less defensible, too; Saban was in place, whereas Edsall was taking over a previous coach’s commitments."[/FONT]

Anyone know what this is about? I mean - I don't believe but I've forgotten whatever controversy they're trying to revisit.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/why...ma.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

#1sabanite

3rd Team
Sep 14, 2008
Site should be called "awful reporting".
but isn't that the new normal ? not just in sports but in everyday reporting now it seems that reporters have forgotten about fact checking and ensuring what they are righting has at least some basis in fact and no based off of a tweet from someone who is either ticked off or living in their grandma's basement with a ton of tin foil wrapped around their head

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I seem to recall some stuff with scholarships and grey shirting that caused some disagreements but I don't remember all the details.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This sort of story comes out every other year or so.

Sometimes it's about pulling scholarships. Sometimes it's about over-signing. Sometimes it's about bait-and-switch regarding offers, commitments, greyshirts or other specifics.

Invariably, the truth comes out, and it proves that the "story" is inaccurate, born of a lack of understanding of the details by the reporter (given the state of the click-bait that passes for journalism these days, no surprise there).

It's part of being dominant program in college football. Anybody who isn't an Alabama fan wants the dynasty to falter, and to find chinks in Saban's armor.

It wasn't so long ago that nobody cared what we did. I'll take the envy and resulting scrutiny.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I know there have been recruits who claimed the greyshirt offer was a surprise, but I'm not familiar with any case where a guy shows up on campus only to have his offer revoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Other way around - you enroll on your own dime but will get a scholarship later.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are not mandated to enroll at that point are they? Furthermore, I do know they can't actually be enrolled full time without starting the eligibility clock, so the idea is to just get a bit of a head start, there's no circumstance I'm aware of in which a greyshirt was enrolled full time on their own dime.

As has been mentioned, greyshirting can work out well. I saw some guys refuse to do it at Alabama, then go redshirt somewhere else. Ok, so they weren't ready. That's the guys you use the greyshirt on, and you extend their eligibility. Worst case though the guy has to pay for a few classes out of pocket. However, I am absolutely positive they can enroll as an EE and have a full ride from there. So, we're not even talking about a full calendar year delay and in return they actually get more value from their scholarship and an extra year of eligibility. People who made this out to be a terrible thing were just looking for something to complain about. Like you know, oversigning which somehow no longer became a thing after the SEC passed a rule. No one wants to talk about Utah and Texas signing 30 people in a class, or Ohio State and Indiana signing 31...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.