News Article: Bo Davis Speaks Publicly for First Time About Alabama Departure, NCAA Investigation

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Bo Davis was walking into his trucking company's Birmingham office in October when a fellow truck driver recognized him.

"You're Bo Davis, right?" the other driver said.

"Nah, I'm not," Davis, the former Alabama defensive line coach, responded, "There's a guy that's named Bo Davis, and everyone says I look like him, but I'm not him."

The driver, a football fan, knew that wasn't true.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
NCAA would've loved for us to thumb our nose at that ticky-tack crap but we didn't...we'll let someone else call them on their idiocy and get a witch hunt instead.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The most impressive thing - Davis taking responsibility for his actions. He blames no one but himself for this mistake. I hope that he gets another chance at coaching once the NCAA gets through with its investigation. The shame - that the NCAA takes its sweet time closing out something like this. This case should have been closed out a year ago. While the NCAA does nothing, this man and his family serve time in career and economic purgatory.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
He seems to be remorseful and extremely humbled about what happened. Hopefully at some point he can get another shot and get back into coaching--although it might not be at the big boy level--then again it could be.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The most impressive thing - Davis taking responsibility for his actions. He blames no one but himself for this mistake. I hope that he gets another chance at coaching once the NCAA gets through with its investigation. The shame - that the NCAA takes its sweet time closing out something like this. This case should have been closed out a year ago. While the NCAA does nothing, this man and his family serve time in career and economic purgatory.
Good post. The NCAA is the most inefficient organization outside our government. I agree with you except for one thing. He was making $345,000 per year @ Bama and was probably making a similar salary at Texas. We also gave him a $317,000 settlement. I know it is a huge drop-off, obviously, to $50k but if he managed it any fashion he's fine financially. Then again, he may not have managed it and could be broke.

He's a great coach and recruiter. I hope he gets another chance either in CFB or the NFL.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Good post. The NCAA is the most inefficient organization outside our government. I agree with you except for one thing. He was making $345,000 per year @ Bama and was probably making a similar salary at Texas. We also gave him a $317,000 settlement. I know it is a huge drop-off, obviously, to $50k but if he managed it any fashion he's fine financially. Then again, he may not have managed it and could be broke.

He's a great coach and recruiter. I hope he gets another chance either in CFB or the NFL.
Consider this - even if he is living on half of what he makes, his monthly "nut" would be out of reach on a $50k/yr salary. By now his real income is only $50k/year and his bills haven't shrunk to meet that (nor can they for the most part without significant downsizing which takes time). Most of his "extra" income has probably been invested, and there is no way to tell how easily those investments can be liquidated.

My point - he could be facing a fairly significant income shortage in the immediate future if his salary isn't increased. And having to liquidate his investments ahead of schedule could destroy their value. This is going to hurt him, and probably already has.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
The main thing is he confessed his mistake, took full responsibility and is now paying for that mistake. Hopefully, he will be able to return to coaching one day soon.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
After the case is closed, unless the show cause is issued, doubtful for this kind of case, he could be hired anywhere. He's a damned good coach. I wouldn't be bowled over to see him rehired when we have a vacancy...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
After the case is closed, unless the show cause is issued, doubtful for this kind of case, he could be hired anywhere. He's a damned good coach. I wouldn't be bowled over to see him rehired when we have a vacancy...
I just realized something... With the 10th coach on field possibility passing soon, I wouldn't be shocked to see Bo Davis back on staff. Davis/Dunbar on staff... whooooo whew.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I find it hard to believe he couldn't catch on with an NFL team in some capacity; which leads me to wonder if that's what's going on -- waiting all of this out to be rehired. Seems like a stretch though.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Agreed...taking responsibility is the best and only approach. If he had done that initially he wouldn't be in this situation. My hope is he gets another coaching gig soon...

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
As y'all know, Bo played for LSU. I used to have a speech class with Bo and Marc Boutee, another D lineman who had a decent pro career. We became friends because one of my roommates was a preferred walk who earned a scholarship as a senior and I hung out with a lot of the football players. Bo used to come knock on my apartment to get help with his papers the night before they were due. He was a good dude, I hope he puts this past him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.